PDA

View Full Version : Finished ahead of schedule!

Kenneth George
07-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Well I am finished with the table, well almost anyway I still have to attach the hardware latch that locks the table top in the up position but it has not got here yet so I will do that as soon and it makes it here. I have to tell you that this is the hardest project I have done to date and by far the most complex. I was originally inspired to do this table by seeing late 1700’s versions of it at a higher end antique show the wife and I attended. For better or worse the design is my own and I only received inspiration and ideas from the probably 100 or so I have looked at since I decided to make this. I found many challenges in making this table and was able to conquer each one well maybe not the best way but I got it done. I made everything on this table including the hard maple dowels. The only thing I did not make was the screws that attach the cleats and the soon to be attached lock hardware.

The table is 25” tall and the top is 23-1/2” across. This is the reason I started turning in the first place was to be able to do a piece like this. I am just a bit proud of it right now so forgive me if I blather on. As you can see in this picture of the side view the birds nest is attached to the spindle with a Bubinga wedge. I purposely offset the pivot dowels so the table would sit 1/8” higher. My reason in doing this was to install little rubber bumpers so that the underside of the top does not get damaged.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/tilttable/finished/IMG_0385.jpg

Here is a picture of the table top in the down position. The Bubinga veneer has a massive 3-D quality to it and it looks as though you could reach right in it. When making the top I used some veneer that the edges were very cracked and damaged so I ended up slip matching the veneer as I thought that may look interesting with the segmented lip anyway.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/tilttable/finished/IMG_0395.jpg

Here is a view of the table in the down position from the back. As you can see I also used Bubinga veneer on the back of this table. If you look to the bottom you will notice knots in the veneer. I had to do quite a bit of repair to this veneer to use it but it was certainly not A grade but I thought it had potential.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/tilttable/finished/IMG_0388.jpg

Here is a view of the table from the bottom. This shows how the sliding dovetails came out after I spent some time flattening the legs to the spindle.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/tilttable/finished/IMG_0394.jpg

I finished this one quicker than I expected but that’s what happens when you are so into it that you wake up in the middle of the night to apply another finish coat! As I said before I am quite camera challenged but I did my best with the pictures for now. I want to thanks the ones who stuck with me through the building of this table as I had never posted like that before but I thought it would be fun.

Comments and thoughts welcome and thanks for taking the time to look.

Ken

Travis Stinson
07-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Beautiful Kenneth, simply beautiful. I've been waiting to see the finished table, it was worth the wait. You did a fantastic job on it. :cool:

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2006, 11:31 PM
Awesome Ken! It turned out stunning. Thanks for the progress reports as it was fun watching you build it.

corey

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Ken that is absolutely awesome. Beautiful. Beautiful job Ken. Thanks for sharing. It was worth the wait.

Andy Hoyt
07-08-2006, 11:44 PM
All I got is, "Bravo!"

John Timberlake
07-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Great job overall. Very interesting veneer and great job on the joinery.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2006, 12:02 AM
A stunningly beautiful project Ken! Excellent!

Ernie Nyvall
07-09-2006, 7:26 AM
Ken, that is something to be proud of. Thanks for the progress show. Very nice.

Ernie

Terry Quiram
07-09-2006, 8:02 AM
Kenneth

What a wonderful table. Your progression essay was very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Jim Becker
07-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Excellent job! Very inspiring!

tod evans
07-09-2006, 10:47 AM
nice work ken!

Mark Cothren
07-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Outstanding! Thanks for sharing the buildalong, as well as the finished table. Great work!

Wally Wenzel
07-09-2006, 11:29 AM
That is one outstanding piece of work.
Wally

Jim Ketron
07-09-2006, 11:33 AM
AWESOME! Beautiful piece of craftsmanship!

Michael Stafford
07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Pretty work, Kenneth, just doggone pretty work!!!!:D

Tom Sherman
07-09-2006, 2:18 PM
Ken I have to agree with the others WOW lookin great.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-09-2006, 3:15 PM
Excellent job, Kenneth. Looks like you have an heirloom piece there.

Ed Scolforo
07-09-2006, 6:25 PM
Kenneth: WOW!!!

Kenneth George
07-09-2006, 9:10 PM
Thanks everyone I really appreciate the nice thoughts and comments. This one was quite a challenge but I enjoyed every minute of it. This is my second year to take a week of vacation from work and spend it in the shop and built to completion one piece of furniture. For me there was no better way to spend the time and I certainly did not think of work while I building this nor the whole week for that mater.

Ken

john whittaker
07-09-2006, 9:15 PM
Kenneth...You did a fantastic job. Thanks for posting.

Jeff Kuykendall
07-09-2006, 9:34 PM
Ken, it is a beautiful table. I'm sure it will be chearished for years to come.

Von Bickley
07-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Ken,

Your table is one beautiful piece of furniture...:) :) :)