PDA

View Full Version : HomeBrew Spalting and SweetGum Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
07-08-2006, 6:52 PM
To victories in one bowl:
First, HomeBrew Spalting and in just eight weeks.
Second SweetGum Bowl; 7 3/4" X 3", Finished with Danish Oil and two coats of Deft.

I'm very proud of the form on this one. I do believe it will handle four good size scoops of Andy's favorite.:D

Ernie Nyvall
07-08-2006, 7:02 PM
Nice job Chris. I like the form and rim treatment.

Ernie

Cecil Arnold
07-08-2006, 7:14 PM
What Ernie said.

Chris Barton
07-08-2006, 7:17 PM
Very nicely done!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2006, 7:33 PM
Excellent Chris! I really like that bowl!

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2006, 7:51 PM
Very nice chris. The spalting looks great!

Corey

Dick Parr
07-08-2006, 7:53 PM
Great job Chris, you did a great job on the form and style.

Very nice.:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2006, 9:22 PM
Chris that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Glenn Hodges
07-08-2006, 9:43 PM
Chris you have a right to be proud of this one. The classic bowl curve is perfect, the spalting grabs ones attention, and the beads give the user's hands something to hold on to. This is a very nice bowl, thank you for showing it to us.

Matt Meiser
07-08-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm very proud of the form on this one.

You should be! Very nice bowl.

Frank Stevens
07-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Chris,

Very nice bowl. Could you share something about your home brew spalting technique?

Thanks,

Frank Stevens

Mark Cothren
07-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Great work on the bowl, Chris! Nice spalting, for sure!

Christopher K. Hartley
07-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Chris,

Very nice bowl. Could you share something about your home brew spalting technique?

Thanks,

Frank Stevens

First let me say thanks to everyone for the support.

Now, about that Spalting. Some time back I had dug up an old dead photinia bush that had gotten pretty big. When I took it out, it had spalted very nicely. I decided to leave the hole where I dug up the root. It is about two feet deep and four feet across and in a very shaded area. I placed a 1 inch layer of wood shavings on the bottom and a little dirt sprinkled in. I put my logs in the hole cut end down. I then covered the tops of the logs with a little dirt and covered everything with shavings. I believe the big factor here has been the amount of rain we have gotten over the past 2 months. The hole never dried totally. When I took the sweet gum out the bark was pealing off and the log was black on the ends. I still have a large oak tri-crotch that is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet at the base. I'm really looking forward to seeing that one. Hope this helps.:)

Jim Ketron
07-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice bowl Christopher!
Love the rim treatment, and the form is great!

Corey Hallagan
07-09-2006, 12:57 PM
This was given to me by another member here. Of course if you have looked around the internet and turning for very long you will run into Russ Fairfield. I use his sanding and finishing ideas alot. Great website of his own. Here is his spalting recipe:
http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ4.shtml

Here is his website..: http://www.woodturner-russ.com/ his finishing info alone is worth the visit.
Corey

Barry Stratton
07-09-2006, 1:37 PM
Great job on the spalting, EXCELLENT job on the bowl! Thats a keeper in anyone's book.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-09-2006, 2:57 PM
This was given to me by another member here. Of course if you have looked around the internet and turning for very long you will run into Russ Fairfield. I use his sanding and finishing ideas alot. Great website of his own. Here is his spalting recipe:
http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ4.shtml

Here is his website..: http://www.woodturner-russ.com/ his finishing info alone is worth the visit.
Corey Thanks for the info Corey:)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-09-2006, 3:23 PM
Gorgeous, Chris, absolutely gorgeous.

John Timberlake
07-09-2006, 9:48 PM
Great job on both the spalting and the turning. The bowl looks a little blue on the outside. Did you put anything on it or is it the just the lighting?

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Great job on both the spalting and the turning. The bowl looks a little blue on the outside. Did you put anything on it or is it the just the lighting? Sorry, my camera work still has a way to go. Just the lighting.

Keith Burns
07-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Great bowl Mr. Oak. Nice form and the details add just the right amount of extra interest. Keep them coming:) :)

Tom Sherman
07-10-2006, 5:01 PM
Congratulations twice Chris, great spalting and excellent turning ..as usual. I really like the form on this one too.