PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Nyvall Is A Great Guy!!!***PICS ADDED***

Barry Stratton
07-08-2006, 4:28 PM
A short while back, Ernie posted about a haul of pecan wood. I made a comment about how nice it was, he PM'd me asking if I wanted any, and this showed up yesterday in the mail!!!

I am continually amazed at the kindness and internet fellowship this Creek offers! Ernie is one class act, and a fine example of what great folks hang out here.

THANK YOU Ernie, I'll do my newbie best to do this fine wood justice.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2006, 4:33 PM
I'll buy into that theory and proof!

Never ceases to amaze me!

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2006, 4:37 PM
I will second that as well! I will be getting ready a little care package for you next week Barry :)

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-08-2006, 5:04 PM
I love the generosity that abounds on SMC!

Ernie Nyvall
07-08-2006, 5:27 PM
Heeeeeey... how'd those pen blanks get in there?:( :D

I hope it turns well. I haven't turned any yet.:D

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
07-08-2006, 5:34 PM
Barry, Ernie is one of the most selfless guys you will ever meet. He is always thinking of others and putting them before himself. I'm so glad you have had a chance to feel his heart! I wish for you the opportunity to meet him as I have. Congrats on your Gloat!

Ernie, thank you for being who you are. You are a shining example of the spirit of the Creekers.:)

Andy Hoyt
07-08-2006, 5:37 PM
Hmmm? Think I'll hold off on agreeing or disagreeing with this until after I run out to the mailbox.:cool::cool::eek::D:D

Ernie Nyvall
07-08-2006, 5:50 PM
Hmmm? Think I'll hold off on agreeing or disagreeing with this until after I run out to the mailbox.:cool::cool::eek::D:D

Andy, I got yours back.:eek: I put The Abysserator in Mane on the address line, but the post office said they couldn't find you. Perhaps it was the way I spelled Maine. :D

Ernie

Ernie Nyvall
07-08-2006, 6:05 PM
Barry, Ernie is one of the most selfless guys you will ever meet. He is always thinking of others and putting them before himself. I'm so glad you have had a chance to feel his heart! I wish for you the opportunity to meet him as I have. Congrats on your Gloat!

Ernie, thank you for being who you are. You are a shining example of the spirit of the Creekers.:)

Thanks Chris, but uhhh... I forgot to mention... I got 5 grand for cleaning up that tree and I had you, Cecil, and today Brad Schmid help me for free:p

Really though, I've had my share of wood from other Creekers... Chris Hartley being one of them. It surely does go around here at the Creek.

Ernie

Dick Parr
07-08-2006, 7:58 PM
Barry you are going to love turning the pecan. It is a real joy to turn and yours will be more so since it came from a friend.;)

Andy Hoyt
07-08-2006, 8:38 PM
Andy, I got yours back.:eek: I put The Abysserator in Mane on the address line, but the post office said they couldn't find you. Perhaps it was the way I spelled Maine. :D

Ernie Yeah, ya probably did it on purpose too. Bum.

Hey. Barry! I want my pecan!:D:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2006, 9:21 PM
Well Barry now you will have to make Ernie proud. Looks like a nice haul of wood. Ernie that was great of you. Now lets see something Barry.

Barry Stratton
07-09-2006, 12:16 AM
WOW! I think I have a new favorite turning wood! Man is this pecan nice!!!:D :D The gouge just glides smoothly thru it. No tool marks, and started sanding with 220!!!!!

Here's a little bowl I just finished, about 3" wide, 1 1/2" high, and walls are only 1/16"! Even got a friction chuck to work and finished the bottom.

THANK YOU ERNIE! I am definitely going to try an NE with that big piece you sent.

Ernie Nyvall
07-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow Barry, that looks great... fast too. Let us know if it warps in the next few days as it dries out.

Ernie

Brad Schmid
07-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Yup, Ernie's the man! I know... I've been paying for it in the easy chair all afternoon:D That last trunk log was a whopper;)

Thanks again Ernie!
Brad

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2006, 1:21 AM
Nice bowl Barry! I'm impressed with those thin walls! Nice form...beautiful wood! Enjoy making that NE! I can't wait to get some more wood and do another one! They are a kick!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2006, 1:32 AM
Barry..........Have you turned an NE before? If not, I've got a suggestion for turning the bottom. I turned the sides and a tenon on the bottom and used the tenon to chuck it up to finish the interior. Then using carpet tape, I taped a piece of 2" foam insulation to my fact plate and turned it somwhat funnel shaped. When the size of the funnel allowed the NE to be placed snuggly over it so that both the high points and the low points of the bowl lip made contact, I mounted the foam to my compression chuck. Basically you just made a foam friction chuck...sand it smooth. Using carpet tape I mounted the foam to the back plate on my compresson chuck. Carefully center the foam on the back plate of you compression chuck and then place the NE over it...then the outer plate of the compression chuck. You may have to make a few trial and errors adjustments on positioining the NE over the foam and getting so the tenon is running true. Once it's positioned correctly........turn away the tenon and finish the bottom like any bowl bottom.

Good luck with that pecan! Looks like nice turning wood!

Barry Stratton
07-09-2006, 1:41 AM
Now those are some directions, Ken! Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. I've turned one true NE about a week into my turning career (shattered when I was trying to turn off the foot and the shape was horrible).....and that end grain NE in the contest.

I roughed out another small pecan bowl and have it soaking in the DNA bath. The stuff turns so easy, almost feels like cheating:eek: . The little thin bowl posted earlier took me 20 minutes - that's fast for me! I'll report back with pics in a few days as it dries in case it cracks and/or goes "egg" on me.

Thanks again Ernie!