PDA

View Full Version : Leigh router Bits

Steve Roxberg
07-08-2006, 1:38 PM
I bought a Leigh D4 used for $200, but it didn't come with any router bits.

Where is the best place to pick some up? I think I'll go with 8mm bits and am considering Leigh, Whiteside, and CMT at this point.

Where is the cheapest source?
Any other advice?

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 1:55 PM
When I bought my D4, I bought a "complete set"...at the time from Jesada whom I wouldn't recommend at this point...but the principle was to have all the cutters to do any of the joinery in the book. (I generally don't buy router bit sets except for specialty things like this). Were I doing it today, I'd be buying a 8mm shank Leigh set, rather than the 1/4" shanks for increased strength. Most routers have an 8mm collet available and when not, an 8mm sleeve in a 1/2" collet works quite nicely.

And of the brands you mention are good...you'll probably be able to find better deals on the Whiteside (really nice cutters) or CMT than you will on the Leigh sets.

glenn bradley
07-08-2006, 2:53 PM
MLCS - free shipping in the con. US.

Brian Knodel
07-08-2006, 3:05 PM
This has nothing to do with your question but I was wondering if you received the information I sent you that you requested? I understand that there are some problems with PM's and emails.

Brian

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2006, 3:12 PM
I think Lee Valley will sell you a box set just for the D4 for about $75.00

Brian Gumpper
07-08-2006, 4:28 PM
Steve,

If your interested I have the Whiteside set for $88.00 and I'll give an SMC 10% discount so final would be $79.20 and shipping is always free. Just use coupon code "smc10" at checkout. It applies to all items so you can order individual bits if you don't want the set.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=398&cat=35&page=1

Bill Esposito
07-08-2006, 4:32 PM
Steve,

If your interested I have the Whiteside set for $88.00 and I'll give an SMC 10% discount so final would be $79.20 and shipping is always free. Just use coupon code "smc10" at checkout. It applies to all items so you can order individual bits if you don't want the set.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=398&cat=35&page=1

Darn Brian, where were you when I bought mine :)

Brian Gumpper
07-08-2006, 4:52 PM
Heck, where was I when I bought mine. I paid retail.

The coupon code will work for all products Bill so keep it on file if you ever need to replace them.

Matt Meiser
07-08-2006, 8:39 PM
I bought the Whiteside set when I bought my Leigh jig, but have never used them. They are different sizes than the "standard" Leigh bits and I haven't figured out how to set everything up to use them?

I would definetly go with the bigger shank bits. I tore up the inside of the router guide bushing from the straight bit flexing so much. I'm sure I was pushing it too hard, but it made learing to use the thing a little more difficult than I would have liked since I couldn't get consistent results. Once I got a better bit, things have been great.

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 8:45 PM
I bought the Whiteside set when I bought my Leigh jig, but have never used them. They are different sizes than the "standard" Leigh bits and I haven't figured out how to set everything up to use them?

Matt, was this a set that was being sold as "Leigh D4" compatible? It's troubling that you have cutters that don't match up. The (Jesada) set I have are identical to the Leigh-direct cutters and even have the Leigh "numbers" in the case next to each bit position. (Please note that I bough the Jesada set a few years ago when the company was "good"...)

Michael Pfau
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Steve, I have bought all my bits from Whiteside. If you look in thier catalog, the whiteside bit number will corrosponde with the leigh bit, so you can match them up. Stay with the 8mm bits, quarter inch shanks will vibrate too much. Another word of advise, any time you can use a half inch shank...do it.. much better cut. Good Luck.

Brian Gumpper
07-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Here is a link to the Whiteside catalog if anyone is interested.

www.holbren.com/catalogs/whiteside.pdf

Matt Meiser
07-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Matt, was this a set that was being sold as "Leigh D4" compatible? It's troubling that you have cutters that don't match up.

Yes. Before responding I decided to do a little research. For through dovetails, the Whiteside set comes with a bit that matches the #140, but doesn't come with a bit that matches the #80 bit that comes with the jig. It does come with a bit that matches the #75, which would use the same setup as the #80, but can only do up to 5/8" material where the #80 can do just over 3/4". So I've been foolish in not using the Whiteside bits in that situation. The set also comes with bits that match the #90 and #160 which can handle material from 5/8" to 1". I attached a picture from Leigh's site with the chart of cutters for through dovetails.

For half blind, the set also comes with bits that match the 120 and 128 bits.

Leigh's bit selection page is at http://www.leighjigs.com/cutters-d4.php

So, the set was a good value, but caused me confusion from the start since there wasn't a set that matched the "getting started" portion of the manual. I'm sure there are setup instructions for the larger through bit set that will set me straight when I need to do thicker material. There's a picture of the set below for those who want see it.

BTW, Brian's price for the bits is very competitive for Whiteside with the source I've used in the past for Whiteside at good prices.

Jim Becker
07-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Matt, I wonder if they left out the #80 'cause it comes with the jig from Leigh?? Very strange!

Steve Roxberg
07-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I ordered the set and filled it in with the standard number 80 which I didn't get wtih my jig.

We'll see how this goes, if it goes well you can expect to see a Keller 1601 for sale in the near future. I love the Keller, it's fast and dead accurate, but cannot easily do variable spaced dovetails, and doesn't do halfblinds at all.

Thanks again, I love the creek.

Matt Meiser
07-10-2006, 8:14 AM
Matt, I wonder if they left out the #80 'cause it comes with the jig from Leigh?? Very strange!

I know. I guess they are thinking that they are covering the entire range by including the smaller bit and larger bit.