PDA

View Full Version : Got a wild idea

harry strasil
07-08-2006, 12:28 PM
What if each month a contest, no prize, was held giving a specified amount of wood for individuals to make a project out of using only neander tools and methods and after 20 days, the next 10 days devoted to a poll for members to vote on the best use of material.

Something like 1 board foot of wood, for instance. Most people like a challenge, and lots of ideas will come up.

Its just a thought.

Ed Nelson978
07-08-2006, 6:48 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I don't know when I'd have time to participate and having seen the pics you have posted the bar is set pretty high! I would really like to see the results though!

Ken Werner
07-08-2006, 8:35 PM
Great idea Harry. At what point would the Neander rule apply? Could the wood be cut with a chain saw? Could it be sawn from the log? Could it be planed other than by hand etc.? You the [Neander] man.

LOL, Ken

Zahid Naqvi
07-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Harry, I think it is a wonderful idea. I really liked your earlier offer about tool donation, but along the way it got politicised and subsequently got shot down.

I think this is a great idea and for a learner like me an opportunity to exercise some neander muscles. The problem of shipping cost for lumber may be a hinderance though. But if the schedule is flexible I am willing to participate. If we are talking about small amounts of lumber it might be feasible to let the participants arrange their own and the winner gets the wood as a prize.

John Timberlake
07-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Great idea. My club has done projects where we had to make something out of a bag of wood one time and a 8' 2x4 another time. My suggestion would be to start with the wood in the rough stage. Timing would be everything for me. Sometimes don't have any time to do woodwork for two weeks in a row.

harry strasil
07-09-2006, 6:25 PM
Zahid , each WW uses his own wood of choice, just has to start out as 1 board foot in the rough or finished.