PDA

View Full Version : Gloat-aly-gloat-gloat! "Christmas in July" of the woodie type

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 11:46 AM
It does pay to be nice. I have a neighbor across the street who is a wonderful cabinetmaker (and artist/sculptor in wood). His wife is an artist, too. From time to time during the winter months when we get a rare "big snow", I've showed up with the Kubota to save them a little shoveling work. We also chat about cabinetry and his projects from time to time. This is the same fellow who "commissioned me" to turn a gavel of his design (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27087&highlight=gavel) to be used as a give for a well-known local auctioneer with Rago in Lawrenceville NJ. (I refused money for that, but got to keep the extra wood)

The other day I received a short email from him that he was cleaning out his shop, including his lumber racks to make room for new material. He asked if I'd like a few odds and ends. Like I wouldn't say yes to that?? LOL

So I walked over after lunch on Wednesday to take a look what he had for me, expecting, oh some shorts or narrow cherry/maple/whatever. However, I almost needed a diaper... :eek: ...when I saw what was waiting in the front corner of his shop. No cherry. No maple. One nice white oak board and some d-fir. Umm...and some incredible purple heart, mahogany and rosewood. One of the purple heart boards is nearly 14" wide, 6' long and 8/4 in thickness. The mahogany board is nearly 17" wide, 6' long and slightly over 4/4 in thickness. There was also a few smaller purple heart pieces, some rift-sawn white oak veneer (already with a glue coat) and some cherry veneer in a roll.

Yup...it pays to be nice! (Thanks, Ed...and you will get something out of this!)

Bruce Page
07-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Wow! I wish I had neighbors like that!
Nice score.

Good things happen to good people...

John Timberlake
07-08-2006, 12:31 PM
It always pays to be nice even without the goodies. Even better when you get something like this in return. Let us know what you make.

Mike Cutler
07-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Wow! I wish I had neighbors like that!
Nice score.

Good things happen to good people...

Good neighbors, on both sides of the fence it would seem. I wish I had a neighbor with a Kubota.:cool:

Good on you Jim.

Roy Wall
07-08-2006, 1:01 PM
Nice, real nice!!!!

The golden rule is a true winner!! Great story:)

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 1:51 PM
The golden rule is a true winner!!

Yup...universally applicable, no matter what your religious or non-religious bent. Treat 'em like you want to be treated by 'em...

Ron Jones near Indy
07-08-2006, 2:20 PM
Nice things happen to nice people. And in this case, it works both ways!

Larry Fox
07-08-2006, 2:51 PM
Outstanding Jim - could not have happened to a nicer guy. You were definitely "due" after the drama caused by your recent flooding.

Mark Rios
07-08-2006, 3:01 PM
Jim, you're the type of guy to deserve this kind of generosity and your neighbor is truly a good and generous person.

However, I couldn't help but notice........he lives across the street and you communicate by email?

:D :D :D

WTG Jim. And WTG to your neighbor.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2006, 3:05 PM
Yup! Nice neighbors are nice neighbors! It should be a 2 way street...and in this case is!

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 3:23 PM
However, I couldn't help but notice........he lives across the street and you communicate by email?.
Ummm...sometime Dr. SWMBO and I communicate via email and IM from our individual offices in the house... ;) :) :D And besides, the road in front of our house is very busy and you sometimes put your life into danger even thinking about crossing it on foot. Email is convenient since it's a "passive delivery"...the other party gets it when they are able. Nice for busy people.

Bill Esposito
07-08-2006, 4:28 PM
Jim,

Wood gloats are definitely worth twice as much as tool gloats.

lou sansone
07-08-2006, 4:34 PM
hi jim
nice selection of exotics. any thoughts as to what will become of them?

lou

Karl Laustrup
07-08-2006, 5:32 PM
Nice score Jim. As already said the "Golden Rule" is a good one to follow.

Are you sure you're going to be able to use all that nice wood??? :confused:

Seeing as you are sooooo busy with the girls, perhaps ;) it would be better served on the next SMC Carting vehicle to the Dells. ;) :D Just a thought. ;) :D

Karl

Rob Littleton
07-08-2006, 5:49 PM
HEY!!!!! I'm nice....................kinda:)

Where's mine?

Well, momma says I'm nice anyways. :-):p

Nice haul Jimbob

It does pay to be nice. I have a neighbor across the street who is a wonderful cabinetmaker (and artist/sculptor in wood). His wife is an artist, too. From time to time during the winter months when we get a rare "big snow", I've showed up with the Kubota to save them a little shoveling work. We also chat about cabinetry and his projects from time to time. This is the same fellow who "commissioned me" to turn a gavel of his design (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27087&highlight=gavel) to be used as a give for a well-known local auctioneer with Rago in Lawrenceville NJ. (I refused money for that, but got to keep the extra wood)

The other day I received a short email from him that he was cleaning out his shop, including his lumber racks to make room for new material. He asked if I'd like a few odds and ends. Like I wouldn't say yes to that?? LOL

So I walked over after lunch on Wednesday to take a look what he had for me, expecting, oh some shorts or narrow cherry/maple/whatever. However, I almost needed a diaper... :eek: ...when I saw what was waiting in the front corner of his shop. No cherry. No maple. One nice white oak board and some d-fir. Umm...and some incredible purple heart, mahogany and rosewood. One of the purple heart boards is nearly 14" wide, 6' long and 8/4 in thickness. The mahogany board is nearly 17" wide, 6' long and slightly over 4/4 in thickness. There was also a few smaller purple heart pieces, some rift-sawn white oak veneer (already with a glue coat) and some cherry veneer in a roll.

Yup...it pays to be nice! (Thanks, Ed...and you will get something out of this!)

Bob Noles
07-08-2006, 6:37 PM
Jim,

Kindness breeds kindness..... You are both deserving neighbors.

I have very few neighbors, none of which are the WW types. There is a single elderly lady next door that I help do some minor fix ups from time to time and when her garden comes in, it is like the horn of plenty around here.

Great gloat and well deserved.

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 6:43 PM
nice selection of exotics. any thoughts as to what will become of them?
I don't know yet, Lou, although I'm thinking that the mahogany piece may be a very nice table top for a hall table in the foyer of the new addition (http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm) (if we find a way to pay for it)... I'm thinking that I can use some of my thick poplar for the base (Painted with black lacquer for this idea) and do something with little radius on the front for interest. I certainly have enough width to do it nicely and the board is flat, flat, flat.

The purple heart is a little harder to decide on, but I have enough to do a couple of nice Shaker style tables for the new guest room in the previously mentioned too-expensive home addition. It would be a nice opportunity to experiment and the purpleheart would contrast nicely with the green-patinated metal headboard that will also be in the room.

Jerry Olexa
07-08-2006, 6:47 PM
Nice haul and well deserved...

scott spencer
07-08-2006, 7:24 PM
Yeah, but it's all dirty! :rolleyes: :D ok, ok...so the gavel was REALLY nice! (and so is you're free wood!) :)

Julio Navarro
07-08-2006, 7:56 PM
17" wide mahogany!! It must be beautiful.

Art Mulder
07-08-2006, 8:21 PM
Sweeeet.

But I have to wonder... If he got rid of a 6' long board of purpleheart to make room for new stuff. Just what kind of new stuff did he bring in that warranted tossing this Quote scrap Un-Quote! :eek:

Purpleheart is nice, but tricky to keep purple.

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 8:50 PM
Art, what I got was bought years ago and left over from other projects. He's a production cabinetmaker, really doesn't have a projected use for it and needed the room for stock coming in for current projects. He knows that I WILL use it all at some point which is why he gifted it. The bottom line is that he had to make a business decision relative to space utilization...and I fully approve of his choice!! LOL!! :D

Corey Hallagan
07-08-2006, 9:58 PM
Nice score. It would be cool to have neighbors like that but it is pretty cool too having a neighbor to lighten the shovelling load as well. Congrats Jim!!

Corey

Fred Voorhees
08-26-2006, 5:09 PM
*Note to self -------start being "nice":D

Gary Keedwell
08-26-2006, 5:13 PM
Is this a recycle day?:confused:

Gary K.

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 5:25 PM
Is this a recycle day?

No. A ressurected thread because I mentioned it in the "weekend doings" thread in the OT Forum. Fred's post brought it back to page one...it's the way the forum software works. (There is a more than two year old thread that just came back in the Turning Forum... ;) )
-----

But...I must say that the purple heart is REALLY heavy stuff. The big 8/4 board was a royal pain to get into the rack.

Doug Jones
08-26-2006, 5:30 PM
Good score, wood scores are always great to hear about.
Ever see the movie "Pay It Forward"?

Just realized this is a little old. Oh well better late than never.

Alex Berkovsky
08-26-2006, 5:37 PM
Great story and gloat. Remind me of the movie "Pay it forward". I always help the lady across the street to shovel the snow... my "reward" is always a bottle of wine. :p

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Nice gloat, Jim. "What goes around, comes around" goes for Good deeds, too!

Bruce