PDA

View Full Version : First Shrp'g with Veritas JIg and Japanese stones and...

Kevin Blunt
07-08-2006, 11:35 AM
wow does it ever work awesome! I decided to finally get down to business on my holidays and sharpen all my plane irons and chisels. I must say that I was a little nervous about sharpening my own stuff because of my inexperience. Once I got going on my block plane iron the more and more impressed I got with this little sharpening kit. It literally puts a mirror like razors edge on my tools and I didn't have to pay anyone to do it. WOOHOO! :D I bought this kit from Mack in Brooklin (which many of you will know)(and a fine gentleman I might add) who was selling it because he had never used it. When I brought it home, I gave it a little test drive and liked it but never ran it through the gauntlet like the last few days. Needless to say, I like it. The one thing I did find that was a little awkward was trying to keep narrower chisels square in the jig. It wasn't that big of a deal with a bit more hand pressure though.
It seems that all my plane irons and chisels are factory sharpened at the 25 degree angle which I know might not be the best for certain situations. So guys, if yopu wouldn't mind sharing some wisdom with a novice sharpener i would really appreciate it. Currently I have a standard angle stanley block plane, stanley bailey jack plane and a record no.4 smoother.
I guess my one main question for you guys is, what angles are you sharpening your irons and chisels on and why?

Mark Rios
07-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Welcome Kevin.

Very good questions (I think anyway). I have my popcorn ready and I'm looking forward to the responses. :D

If I may ask, what model Veritas jig do you have?

Kevin Blunt
07-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi mark,

I have the older style version (not the MKII). I believe they have corrected the narrow chisel problem on the new system. Thanks for the welcome. I have been on here a bunch of times before just never posted anything.

Kevin