PDA

View Full Version : Design help

Peter Mc Mahon
07-08-2006, 8:55 AM
I will soon be building a replica of the original porch on my 128 year old Victorian house. I have a photo of the original porch so I can recreate everything, but the origial does not have a hand rail and I need [want] one. So what I am hoping to get someones help for is this, somewhere I have seen a picture of a front porch handrailing with 1x6" boards for the ballasters. The boards are placed like a fence and centered between each set of boards is a cutout of a pineapple. I am basically looking for something fancy to match my house. Anyone know where to look? Thanks in advance. Peter

Richard Wolf
07-08-2006, 9:08 AM
That type of baluster is pretty common on older style houses. It's a profile balusters, and it's more about the negitive space between the balusters that adds the interest. Always hearts, curves and pineapples which add alot of interest.
I think I have a book somewhere with some drawings in it, but if you pay attention while driving around you will see them offend.

Richard

Jim O'Dell
07-08-2006, 9:40 AM
snip... but if you pay attention while driving around you will see them offend.
Richard

Richard, do I take from this that you don't particularly like these types of ballasters???:D :D :D :D Jim.

Rob Bodenschatz
07-08-2006, 3:57 PM
Richard, do I take from this that you don't particularly like these types of ballasters???:D :D :D :D Jim.

I was going to comment on that as well. No offense. :D