PDA

View Full Version : News from France

Jay Knoll
07-08-2006, 6:20 AM
Hi everyone

Internet access has been almost non existent, we finally found an internet cafe so I'm able to log on, don't have a lot of time tho, so I'll copy an email that SWMBO sent to our non woodworking friends. Hope everyone is having a good summer, we are!

Jay

Hi all,

Please excuse a mass email, but we have struggled to find internet access and even when we do, it's possible to read emails but not always to take the time to write them...so here is our next-best solution.

We are currently in Chalon sur Saone, a bit south of Dijon. After several great days in Paris, we arrived at the boat as planned on June 21, and it was in good shape with the exception of a little problem with a fuel pump, resolved quickly. Then we had to wait a few days for a spare filter, which was OK because it gave us time to find herb and geranium plants for the deck and get the boat all cleaned and stocked. We left there to head south to the Saone and Seille rivers on June 27. Have had a good time traveling since then, particluarly along the Seille. In a town called Louhans, we went to an open-air market where you can buy anything from flip flops to live chickens and donkeys. It was amazing, the biggest market we've seen - it completely fills the biggest street in the town, the "grande rue," from 8:30a.m. to noon, and by 2 p.m. there's no sign of it - incredible how these markets are so integrated into the culture and the street cleaners and trash collectors clean up immediately afterwards.

The other big thing this past week has been the annual sales. The government determines when the sales will be held, and all stores have sales at the same time. The markdowns are good, and get better as time goes by. I bought a pair of cotton slacks marked down from 25 euros to 6 euros - and a week later went back and they were marked down to 2 euros so I bought another pair ( 1 euro = about $1.27). The sales last all of July, and then August comes and many stores close for their annual "vacances."

We had planned to travel two of the most beautiful canals, the Nivernais and the Burgogne (Burgundy) this year, but when we actually looked at the chart, it seemed too ambitious to do both; nearly 400 locks, and very few free days between now and the end of our trip. So we re-evaluated, and now plan to cover part of the Burgogne and part of the Rhone/Rhine canal. Every place is good, so we decided it was crazy to push so hard and not have time to enjoy each place and stay awhile in a town if we want to. The town we are in now, Chalon, has many good reataurants, and a huge commercial center right across the street from the marina: a gigantic Carrefour, like a super Target which is so big the sales associates wear roller blades, and several other huge stores, including a big "bricolage" (hardware store, like Home Depot) which is Jay's favorite. These places are having sales, too, so you can only imagine the crowds.

The weather has been variable; hot and sunny for a week, then cool and rainy for a few days.The hot days are the worst, as our refrigerator has a hard time keeping up. Unlike in the states, where every marina and grocery store has an ice machine, we have yet to see one here in France. But the food, wine and people are all even better than everybody thinks, so we are enjoying ourselves greatly.

Here's a link to some of our pictures, if you're interested:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2104441244&code=23006265&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

We love to receive emails, even if we can't always promise to respond, so please stay in touch.

A bientot,
Linda and Jay

Karl Laustrup
07-08-2006, 7:19 AM
Pictures look great Jay. Glad you're having a good time and it looks like the weather is cooperating.

Karl

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-08-2006, 8:13 AM
Wow, what a great trip!

I was recently in Austria and by chance met some fellow Canucks on one of those huge hotel boats that was sailing up the Danube river, they really liked it.

The pics are great, I found Austria so different from Canada and especially Austria, but the people where sure friendly as well.

I hope you post some more updates!

Have fun!

Tyler Howell
07-08-2006, 8:34 AM
Beautiful PiX Jay. Looks like a great life:cool:

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the update, Jay!

Mark Plough
07-08-2006, 9:51 PM
Nice pictures. Enjoy!!!!

Jay Knoll
07-09-2006, 8:48 AM
Thanks guys, just ran back to an internet cafe to do a mail check, don't know when I'll get another chance to log on but will send more pics when I get a chance. Thankfully the weather has cooled off, we have about 5 days of 90+ weather, just like Florida in a different language!

Jay

John Scarpa
07-09-2006, 5:43 PM
Jay,

Looks great. Didn't see that opera house the last time we were there so will check it out in Oct when we go back. The picutres along the river look great. Thanks for the note and pictures!

John

John Miliunas
07-09-2006, 6:55 PM
Jay, this is a totally WAG on my part but, it would appear to me that you folks are having a grand time!!! :) Looks like the woman-folk may just be a bit partial to blue over there, huh? :D That little dingy they call a hotel looks like it might be kinda' comfortable, too but, I think the way you guys are doing it will allow you to actually enjoy more of the surroundings and society over there. :) Continue to keep us posted with experiences and pics as time/opportunity allows and don't forget to give your table saw a cyber-hug!!! :D :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
07-10-2006, 4:24 AM
Jay, as I was last year, I'm totally envious of your trip. Looks like the way to tour France. I wish LOML (and my bank account) was that adventurous. Great pics, and I'll be looking forward to additional updates.

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
07-10-2006, 6:00 PM
Great Pics, Jay. I really enjoy your pictorial and comments, and again this year, it allows me to Reminesce.:) Have a great time, and keep the pics coming when you can.

Ed Breen
07-10-2006, 7:24 PM
Jay,
JUST SPLENDID!! You are obviously not in Oklahoma.
Ed:cool:

Robert Mickley
07-10-2006, 7:56 PM
Well Jay is having a grand ole time I see.

Dave Ray
07-15-2006, 2:46 PM
It's fun to follow along on your trip. I enjoyed it last year and look forward to it again this year. The pictures are great, but I also enjoy your write ups pertaining to people and places. Have fun, be safe, most of all enjoy. :) :)

Dave Richards
07-15-2006, 8:24 PM
Jay, that looks like a lot of fun. I'd be interested to know more about how you find running a narrowboat in the canals. I've looked at that and thought it would be a great vacation. I'd rather do that than take a cruise in the Carribbean.

Jay Knoll
07-20-2006, 4:29 AM
Hi everyone

Thanks for the nice thoughts,

SWMBO uploaded some more pics, sorry you'll have to go through the whole slideshow again! :rolleyes:

We are in Dole, trying to stay cool but it has been terribly hot. Took a train trip up into the Jura mountains yesterday, went to St Cloud -- pics on next update!

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...il-AlbumInvite

We aren't on a narrowboat, our beam is roughly 3.7 meters, so we've got a reasonable amount of space below decks (think of a floating class C motorhome). Navigation is not really a problem, boat handling in the locks is an acquired skill but you learn pretty quickly or else you start to break things!

Still having a great time but starting to go through sawdust withdrawal.

Jay

Vaughn McMillan
07-20-2006, 6:47 AM
Glad to see we're not the only ones who are dealing with hot weather. ;) The pics look great...thanks for checking in. I still deeply envious of your trip. :p We'll keep making sawdust for you over here...have a baguette for us over there.

- Vaughn

Jay Knoll
08-12-2006, 5:27 AM
Hi everyone

Well after much hot weather we have finally cooled off. We are on the Burgundy canal; at the "top of the mountain" up from Dijon. We went through 75 locks to get here and then capped it off with a tunnel that is 3.3 kilometers long. No pics of that, go into your basement at midnight and turn the lights off, then turn on a flashlight and try to drive your car through (actually you can see a pinpoint of light from the other end so you do have something to steer toward and we do have a searchlight.

We will be turning around and starting back downhill on Tuesday. Everything closes in France on sunday and Monday, and then Tuesday is a bank holiday so yet another day of enforced leisure.

Here is the link to the updated pic site; just a few new ones; the internet cafe we are using has a real slow connection and SWMBO got tired of the upload:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2104441244&code=23576085&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite

Jay

John Miliunas
08-12-2006, 9:43 AM
You know, Jay, if there's room on that little dingy 'o yours for a sewing machine, I think a Jet Mini or maybe a scroll saw would fit in just fine, as well! :D Looks to me like you guys are having a bunch of fun! That tunnel ride musta' been a bit hairy, though! I assume it's only "one way" traffic??? Is there a second one for the other direction or does one wait and take turns with boats going to and fro?

I also like your idea of going to the market! :D I think...no, I know that, I'd be doing likewise! Hope the rest of your trip is fun and relaxing. Keep posting updates, pics and don't forget the souvenirs for your bud's here at the Creek! :D :) :cool:

Jay Knoll
09-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi everyone

Well, back to reality -- been home a week but picked up a cold on the plane back-- feels good to be home, especially after the VERY long day getting here. Security was tight but polite in France, the US security people should go over there and see how a little smile and conversation actually moves things along.

If anyone is going to travel internationally really pay attention to the rules, we watched some people get shaken down pretty well because they weren't paying attention to the limitations.

House is in good shape, shop/garage is totally out of commission since so much stuff is piled on top of everything -- it is the one time during the year when a car is actually parked in the garage!

I've been catching up on some posts, looks like the Creek is running just fine!

Jay

Jay Knoll
09-12-2006, 10:10 AM
John

Sorry I forgot to answer your questions, The tunnel is one way. They inspect your boat, have to have life jackets, a spot light, horn and they give you a special radio that works in the tunnel (looked like they have an antenna wire running through the tunnel for the signal) and you're told to go right in. There is a form that they complete that you must turn into the lock keeper on the other end. If you don't do that within a normal time period, they send in the rescue squad! There are "crash boats" with emergency equipment at both ends of the tunnel. Not a problem tho for us thank you very much!

During our first passage through we had the "back door" of our boat open but when I commented that I thought I saw some bats SWMBO ran back and slammed it shut. She was more worried about a bat getting into the boat than she was the boat going through the tunnel.

Don't think woodworking will be an alternative, have to go 220 volts and believe me, every out of sight storage spot is full. We are in the "if a book comes aboard one goes off" mode. So everything that is on the boat is essential. You'll be surprised how much Linda uses the sewing machine so it stays!