PDA

View Full Version : way off topic venting

Christopher Pine
07-07-2006, 9:43 PM
My 13 yr old was part of a fund raiser today at our church which was a yard sale. You know the members donate there junk and they have yard sale for funds.. Great group of kids and they are working so hard. I am very proud of them! Anyway my son got a nintendo ds.. (for those who don't know that is one of the latest hand held video game systems). He took it with him so during slow times at the sale he and his buddies could play against each other. well long story short someone stole it from him at the sale right ot of the church! :mad: :mad: I am so angry! At the same time I am so proud of my son.. he has shown such a good attitude about it and has not really even got that upset.. Like most of us parents I know life lessons are hard and necessary but I still hate to see my child have to endure them..
I told him I can't protect you all your life from stuff like this. I can't fix everything for you all your life...(I sound like my dad). But I told him I can fix this and I will get him a new one.. OIE! I so much want to be the Dad who can fix stuff like this.. I know in some ways it might be wrong to just fix it but that is what I am going to do this time..
Thanks for listening or reading as it were :)

Chris

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2006, 9:53 PM
Chris,

Just because it's "church" doesn't mean it's safe. You may recall that I'm a bass player and have been playing in church for well over 30 years now. During that time, I've had my bass, amp, pedals, chords, and such stolen right off the church stage TWICE at the same church. The 2nd time, the church insurance wouldn't pay for the loss of goods. Fortunately, the church pitched in and replaced my stolen good, to the tune of $3,000.00. Never found out who stole my stuff, but I had a good idea then who may have.

You'd be surprised at how many churches are broken into by they own congregation and ripped off.......ok....better stop now before I ramble on too much.

Sorry that your son experienced what he has. Congratulate him on his good attitude and good spirit about him during all this.

Mike Cutler
07-07-2006, 9:55 PM
It's not wrong to replace it Christopher. He didn't lose it due to negligence on his part. It was stolen.
Maybe... you're just like Allstate. "He's in good hands".

Some really bad karma to steal at a church.

Christopher Pine
07-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I do realize this.. It is just especially hard when it does occur in a situation like this. My home was burglarized about 10 years ago and if I talk about it very long I still get hot. I don't deal with this very well at all. The good Lord is wise for me not to know who did it I guess. I might end up behind bars instead of the thief..
Thanks for your supportive comments

Chris,

Just because it's "church" doesn't mean it's safe. You may recall that I'm a bass player and have been playing in church for well over 30 years now. During that time, I've had my bass, amp, pedals, chords, and such stolen right off the church stage TWICE at the same church. The 2nd time, the church insurance wouldn't pay for the loss of goods. Fortunately, the church pitched in and replaced my stolen good, to the tune of $3,000.00. Never found out who stole my stuff, but I had a good idea then who may have.

You'd be surprised at how many churches are broken into by they own congregation and ripped off.......ok....better stop now before I ramble on too much.

Sorry that your son experienced what he has. Congratulate him on his good attitude and good spirit about him during all this.

Chuck Wintle
07-08-2006, 7:40 AM
My 13 yr old was part of a fund raiser today at our church which was a yard sale. You know the members donate there junk and they have yard sale for funds.. Great group of kids and they are working so hard. I am very proud of them! Anyway my son got a nintendo ds.. (for those who don't know that is one of the latest hand held video game systems). He took it with him so during slow times at the sale he and his buddies could play against each other. well long story short someone stole it from him at the sale right ot of the church! :mad: :mad: I am so angry! At the same time I am so proud of my son.. he has shown such a good attitude about it and has not really even got that upset.. Like most of us parents I know life lessons are hard and necessary but I still hate to see my child have to endure them..
I told him I can't protect you all your life from stuff like this. I can't fix everything for you all your life...(I sound like my dad). But I told him I can fix this and I will get him a new one.. OIE! I so much want to be the Dad who can fix stuff like this.. I know in some ways it might be wrong to just fix it but that is what I am going to do this time..
Thanks for listening or reading as it were :)

Chris
Look at the bright side..it's something that can easily be replaced and a good lesson in human nature was learned.

Tyler Howell
07-08-2006, 8:51 AM
Somebody lifted my wallet while I was serving as an alter boy 44 years ago:( . It was a Walt Disney "Goofy" wallet.
Never been the same since:rolleyes: .
I see nothing has changed. I did learn a valuable lesson

skip coyne
07-08-2006, 9:36 AM
I was helping out at the boy scout rummage sale at the church a few years ago , when they cought somebody going out the backdoor with some stuff .

I mean this was a rummage sale stuff was CHEEEAAAP !! but somebody still had to steal , from the boy scouts , at a church :eek:

I wouldnt replace it for him , while its good he helped he has to learn that there are places he can get by for a few hours without expensive toys I think he has some of the responsiblity for the loss

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
What Dennis said. "Church" and "Religion" doesn't always equate to good behavior with everyone standing about. This topic comes up often in the adoption forums I play around in...folks think that because an agency has a "religious affiliation" it will be the pinnacle of honesty and good business practice. Any time there are people involved in something, there is a chance that things may not be what they seem to be.

Sorry to hear about your son's loss. No matter where it happens, it's not a pleasant thing.

Vaughn McMillan
07-08-2006, 4:05 PM
... I was a Walt Disney "Goofy" wallet.
Never been the same since:rolleyes: ...
Freudian slip of the typing fingers? I'm thinkin' no. :D :p

- Vaughn

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2006, 4:06 PM
Vaughn.........I concur!

skip coyne
07-08-2006, 8:00 PM
. he obviosly left it unattended , maybe it wasnt stolen maybe a yard sale customer picked it up asked the price and someone sold it to them not knowing it was your sons

If it where my son it would be a lesson in responsible behavior

I guess I should thank the person who stole it for helping me to educate my son.

lesson learned here is , dont worry about your stuff if it goes missing you get it replaced

sorry If I offended your sensablity you posted , I responded

Christopher Pine
07-08-2006, 8:15 PM
. he obviosly left it unattended , maybe it wasnt stolen maybe a yard sale customer picked it up asked the price and someone sold it to them not knowing it was your sons

If it where my son it would be a lesson in responsible behavior

lesson learned here is , dont worry about your stuff if it goes missing you get it replaced

sorry If I offended your sensablity you posted , I responded

I responded then I deleted it because I reconsidered my post and I did not want to get into an argument... The yard sale was outside the church.. he pluged it in inside so it would charge... a door was left open(after they moved the tables of stuff out to the parking lot) unintentionally.. he did not leave the door open someone else did. Someone evidentally came in and took it. The other kids involved is possible they did it but they were observed for the most part all day and no one left with it.. No One sold it! Some jerk stole it!
The lesson learned here is that Dad loves him and will help him out. RFaise your own kids!
By the way I never used a question mark anywhere in my post that I can see. Go ahead and delet this post Dennis...
Amazing!

Larry Klaaren
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
For whatever it's worth, I had a PDA (Palm Pilot) stolen from the pulpit on a day that I preached. I left in on a shelf in the podium every Sunday while I gave the message. After the service I always walked to the back of the church and took prayer requests and requests for visits etc. One Sunday it was gone ten minutes after the service. It never showed up.

The music leader saw it there at the end of the service (he led the closing song), but the elders feel that could not have happened in our church.

Larry <*//><

P.S. Might help to remember it's usually best to let people vent and emote and draw moral lessons/applications etc. at a later time. Remember how ineffective (and logically correct but spiritually off-base) Job's friends were with their moralizing. I only mean this to be a constructive thought, not a criticism. I intentionally didn't look back to see who said what in this thread.

Paul Prescott
07-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I am so angry! At the same time I am so proud of my son.. he has shown such a good attitude about it and has not really even got that upset.. Like most of us parents I know life lessons are hard and necessary but I still hate to see my child have to endure them.. Speaking as a Pediatrician ... you done good! You can't protect your child from everything!

I told him I can't protect you all your life from stuff like this... Well done!

(I sound like my dad). No matter what we think of our parents, we do tend to do what they did!

I know in some ways it might be wrong to just fix it but that is what I am going to do this time.. Chris Nope! You done good! Just make the point that, because others are 'cheat," "steal," etc., he doesn't have to be!

skip coyne
07-09-2006, 1:14 AM
you have taken offense and I apologize ,

Other boards I post at things are discussed and opions given ,often times not what the OP wants to hear apperantly its not the case here I'll keep it mind in the future

Dennis Peacock
07-09-2006, 7:27 AM
I responded then I deleted it because I reconsidered my post and I did not want to get into an argument... The yard sale was outside the church.. he pluged it in inside so it would charge... a door was left open(after they moved the tables of stuff out to the parking lot) unintentionally.. he did not leave the door open someone else did. Someone evidentally came in and took it. The other kids involved is possible they did it but they were observed for the most part all day and no one left with it.. No One sold it! Some jerk stole it!
The lesson learned here is that Dad loves him and will help him out. RFaise your own kids!
By the way I never used a question mark anywhere in my post that I can see. Go ahead and delet this post Dennis...
Amazing!

You're ok here Chris....and I understand.

Many times we, myself included, need to just express as much understanding as we can, provide care, and offer comfort where needed at times like this for others. After all......it's all about people all the time. :)

Al Willits
07-09-2006, 7:58 AM
It should be a good lesson to the kid, if you don't want to lose anything, keep your eye on it.
I learnt that with a bicycle as a kid, left it unlocked to run into the store, it was gone when I came out.
Took half a summer and all my paper route money to replace it.

Wonderful world we live in, respect and responsibilty are not being taught like they should, we're to worried about being pc now...

Al

Christopher Pine
07-09-2006, 8:25 AM
Since you mentioned this I too had my bicycle stolen... Back when I was about 12 my mother bought me this amazing bicycle for my birthday. Cost $100 :) Back in 1977 that was a lot of money for a bicycle! I road that thing everywhere! It was part of me prcatically.. I locked it up at the mall one day and when I came out it was gone lock and all. Back then we actually used to go down and register bicycles at the police station and about 9 months later I got a call from the police saying they had recovered my bicycle. I have it to this day.. It is worse for the wear and years but it has sentimental value so I just can't seem to get rid of it. :)

It should be a good lesson to the kid, if you don't want to lose anything, keep your eye on it.
I learnt that with a bicycle as a kid, left it unlocked to run into the store, it was gone when I came out.
Took half a summer and all my paper route money to replace it.

Wonderful world we live in, respect and responsibilty are not being taught like they should, we're to worried about being pc now...

Al

Robert Mickley
07-09-2006, 9:42 AM
Bad enough to steal from a kid, but to steal from one giving his time to his church, Just goes to show you how low some people will sink.

Christopher
I don't have a problem with you replacing it.
Come on insurance companies do it every day for adults.

But don't take Skips opinion so hard. I doubt he meant to offend you. Come on your on SMC how often does some one post something deliberatly offensive?

Fred Voorhees
07-09-2006, 9:46 AM
Somebody lifted my wallet while I was serving as an alter boy 44 years ago:( . It was a Walt Disney "Goofy" wallet.
Never been the same since:rolleyes: .
I see nothing has changed. I did learn a valuable lesson

Oh boy, now there's a thought that crossed my mind and I can't wipe out - Tyler, an alter boy and somehow a thong enters the picture. YIKES!!!:eek:

Bruce Benjamin
07-09-2006, 6:27 PM
I think that replacing the equipment is a decent thing for a father to do. The boy already learned a lesson in this and making it worse won't help. If my son was up on the roof, (he's 7, don't think so!) I would tell him to get down and give him a good talking to. Letting him fall and get hurt or worse isn't the only way to teach him a lesson. The lesson he learned here is that anybody can have something stolen from them anywhere there's other people. It obviously doesn't matter if it's at a church or on a dark street at night. You can't watch everything all of the time so maybe another lesson he learned is that sometimes bad things are going to happen to you and you have to learn to deal with it. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood but even here crime is an occasional problem. My two kids have left their bikes on the lawn next to the sidewalk a few times and just forgot about them. I've told them how this is just asking for them to be stolen. They don't do it anymore, (so far) but if a bike was stolen I would still buy them a new one. Neither has ever had anything stolen from them so I just don't think they get the idea that there are bad people out there. I told them the last time it happened that the next time I find a bike on the lawn it will stay in the garage for a week. Actually losing their bikes, even if I replaced them would teach them what I've been warning them about. Of course, I might wait a couple of weeks or until a birthday to replace it just to drive home the point but not replacing it would just be too harsh in my opinion.

Bruce

Steven Wilson
07-09-2006, 7:33 PM
That explains a lot Tyler !