PDA

View Full Version : First Hand Experience/Opinions re Router Raizer

Howard Rosenberg
07-07-2006, 4:30 PM
Hi all -

I'm getting set to make some changes to my router table and I'm thinking of getting the Router Raizer.

It's attractive because it's cheaper than the entire JessEm rig and I'll need to (seemingly) modify my LV router table in a small fashion.
I'd like to set it up to be able to change bits in my Makita 3612C plunge router.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Router Raizer?

Thank you.

Howard

Frank Guerin
07-07-2006, 6:29 PM
I don't have any problem with it. Found a piece of aluminum for the plate. Put a Hitachi M12V in. Bought a cheap 120 VAC screwdriver off e-bay and use an old VS controll that lifts the router up and down. Took the original wrench and bent. It works.

Bruce Page
07-07-2006, 6:58 PM
Howard, I have one in my table. I have been very pleased with it – it performs very well. It took about 15 min to install in my PC8529. The only thing I had to do to my plate was drill a hole for access to the adjustment screw.

Jim DeLaney
07-07-2006, 7:15 PM
Mine's on a Hitachi M12V. Had it for maybe three or four years. Like it a lot.

Vaughn McMillan
07-07-2006, 7:22 PM
My experience with the Router Raizer is similar to Bruce's. Mine's on a Hitachi M12V, using a Woodpecker phenolic plate. I had to drill a hole in the plate, and enlarge another on the router (if I recall correctly), but within 20 or 30 minutes (including pondering time) I had it installed. Performance and accuracy has been great for me, but this is the first and only router lift I've used, so I can't compare it to others. With this setup, I can change bits above the table without removing the router, and that's using the stock (unbent) collet wrench. (I still reach under the table to engage the spindle lock, but my router's not enclosed, so it's no hassle to reach under.)

Bottom line -- I'd buy another, but if price was no issue, I'd look at some of the more sophisticated router lifts too. For those of us on a budget, the Router Raizer is a good investment, IMHO.

- Vaughn

John Kain
07-07-2006, 7:30 PM
I have an M12V with my Raizer on a Rousseau plate that is straight and true. Great value. Never a problem here.

Mark Rios
07-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I've had mine mated with a Freud 2000 router for a couple of years now. Works just like I needed it to. However, I'm ready to go with a full-on router lift with my router table overhaul.

Maybe this means I'm getting better? No, probably not.

Bruce Page
07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
I've had mine mated with a Freud 2000 router for a couple of years now. Works just like I needed it to. However, I'm ready to go with a full-on router lift with my router table overhaul.

Maybe this means I'm getting better? No, probably not.
Mark, I’m curious to why you think you need a “full-on router lift“. Other than some slick machining, I can’t see what the big lifts have over the RR. They both raise & lower the router just fine but the RR does it at ¼ the cost. :confused:

Mark Singer
07-08-2006, 1:33 AM
I have it and it seems great too!

David Rose
07-08-2006, 4:28 AM
Mine has worked great for about 5 years off and on. It is mounted a Dewalt 625. I have to change bits under the table with this setup. But it is really the fault of the thick router plate to which the base attaches. I'm machining a plate to replace that which will let the nut come above the table... if all goes well. Again, this is just with the Dewalt.

With this plunge router, the RR gives whatever accuracy is between the bushings and the rods. This one has a little play, and you can see the bit wobble very slightly as you crank it. But it has yet to cause enough error to be a problem. And I am fairly picky about that kind of error.

David

Curt Harms
07-08-2006, 5:46 AM
I have one on an FT2000E and it works fine. One thing I'd do differently on the router mounting, however. The router needs to be mounted "cockeyed" so the plunge post with the RouterRaizer is forward of any fence. Otherwise, when the fence is set up burying half the bit, the drive socket is too close to or under the fence. The drive socket is directly above one plunge post. Hope that makes sense.

Curt