PDA

View Full Version : 14" band saw and blade?

Al Willits
07-07-2006, 2:46 PM
Ok, one of the power tools I managed to assemble without problems is my Delta 14" bandsaw, I have ordered the 6" riser for it and would like to do some resawing on it, mainly venner types of cuts.
I did a search and it seems the 105" 3 or 4 tooth, 1/2" blade is generaly perfered for what I have and after that it got a bit fuzzy, Lennox, Woodslicer and Timberwolf were a few mentioned.

Also would that make a good general purpose blade of wood?

Looking for a few suggestions on brands and where to get them online?

tia

Al who has the feeling, one blade does not do it all....:)

Mike Cutler
07-07-2006, 2:55 PM
Wow! Lots of bandsaw questions the last day or so.
My vote is for either the Lennox Tri-Master, or Bi-Metal in 1/2" blade width, and no more than 3 tpi.
My second choice is the 1/2" woodslicer from Highland Hardware.
The Timberwolfs are very nice also. I don't know enough about the line to recommend one though. I used a 3 TPI, and it was "OK", but not as good as the others.

None of these are "General Purpose" blades. they are a little bit too agressive, and you wouldn't want to ruin the "set" of the teeth by making curved cuts with them.. I found that a 3/8" 6-8TPI blade made a good all around blade to keep on the saw for "quickies".

One upgrade to keep in mind is the Cobra Coil Spring from Iturra Designs. It's about $20.00 I think.

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 2:56 PM
I am very happy with my 4 timberwolf blades, give them a call and they will pick the blades you need. Last time I ordered they had a special 4 blades for the price of three. Great deal. and CS is the best. Very knowledgable.

Mike Cutler
07-07-2006, 3:00 PM
I am very happy with my 4 timberwolf blades, give them a call and they will pick the blades you need. Last time I ordered they had a special 4 blades for the price of three. Great deal. and CS is the best. Very knowledgable.

4 for the price of 3. Hmm.... I may have to call them up. I wonder if they have "stock" blades to fit the 18" Rikon.

Nice info Julio. Thank you.

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 3:30 PM
That was about 3 months ago so check with their website, it was a limited time offer.

Still great blades though

Al Willits
07-07-2006, 5:21 PM
Timberwolf looks like a good place to start, thanks.

Al who just knew he was gonna have to buy more than one blade...:D

Brad Townsend
07-07-2006, 5:48 PM
That was about 3 months ago so check with their website, it was a limited time offer.
I took advantage of that "limited time offer" about six months ago. It probably isn't going away anytime soon.:D

Allen Bookout
07-07-2006, 5:52 PM
Al who just knew he was gonna have to buy more than one blade...:D
You learn fast Al!

David Rose
07-08-2006, 4:50 AM
Al,

I just ordered a Tri-Master from Laguna. They are closing them out at .50 and inch. But... they are out of 105". What they will do is break a 180" (the shortest the salesman says they have) and reweld it at 105". Even at 90 bucks, it a pretty good deal, if you want carbide. I forgot to ask shipping price, so I'm holding my breath a little. :rolleyes:

The only real limitation on this blade is for tight curves. It will still cut a bit tighter curve than "bent tooth" blades due to the carbide width to the band. And the old Pro-Master, with the same configuration from Lenox, that I've used, will cut glue joints... if the grain runs juuust right.

David, who uses only one 1/2" blade for it all... but doesn't usually glue off the saw

Ok, one of the power tools I managed to assemble without problems is my Delta 14" bandsaw, I have ordered the 6" riser for it and would like to do some resawing on it, mainly venner types of cuts.
I did a search and it seems the 105" 3 or 4 tooth, 1/2" blade is generaly perfered for what I have and after that it got a bit fuzzy, Lennox, Woodslicer and Timberwolf were a few mentioned.

tia

Al Willits
07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks all, I have sent Timber wolf a email asking their suggestion on blades, seems their prices are reasonable and I'm a little hesitant to spend top dollar on blades until I am a little more comfortable with what I'm doing.
Also it seems these should work quite well.

Also asked them about metal/wood comb blades and have the feeling I'll be buying three blades and not two...:)
Veneer, general purpose and metal...:)

Al who thinks ya can't spend to much on this hobby, can ya??:D

Tom Hamilton
07-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Al: You're right about not spending too much.

My 4 for 3 Timberwolf's arrived yesterday. So the deal is still good. Also, their web site has lots of info on their product and how to use it.

Enjoy, Tom, in Houston, sawing with Timberwolf blades today.

Al Willits
07-08-2006, 1:11 PM
Nothing wrong with 4 for the price of three.
I'll take a wild guess and say the 3tpi blade will probably wear out before a 6 or 8tpi blade will, so I should get a couple of them??

Texan by choice?? There's a scary thought....:D :D :D

Al .. ok ok Austin's pretty nice...:D

Jim Becker
07-08-2006, 1:58 PM
General purpose for me is Timberwolf from Suffolk Machinery in 1/2" or 3/8". For resawing, I prefer the Lennox TriMaster...expensive but it will last for years since it's carbide tipped. The 1/2" is thin enough to work well on the 14" saw. Talk to Iturra about that.

Jerry Bittner
07-09-2006, 9:20 PM
The sale is still on and they are good blades and great people to deal with.
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

tia