PDA

View Full Version : Help--racked stained glass--DONE

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2006, 12:58 PM
LOML found a nice stained glass piece, about 29" square, that was in a cheesy, warped wooden frame. While in the architectural antiques place I noticed some other nice glass in a 2X oak frame. Not being above stealing a good idea we proceeded to the hardwood lumber co. and I found some 2X ash to make a new frame from (an idea thief and cheap to boot). So now I'm in the middle of trying to re-frame this thing and discover that it is racked--about 1/4" on the long corner to corner measurement. I had two ideas on how to attempt to correct this. The first is to simply try to gently pull it back using a clamp. The second is to make the frame and using it as better support try to pull it into alignment. The only problem I see with the second option is that if it doesn't work I'll have a frame that doesn't fit anything. Any help of ideas will be appreciated, and in case Tyler is lurking, I'll post some pics when this id done.

Thanks to the help you kind folks gave I finished LOML's stained glass, got it hung and finally managed to get a picture or two. Again, thanks to everyone for the ideas and help.

tod evans
07-07-2006, 1:11 PM
cecil, i`d leave it outta square and frame it as is. it`s not broke yet.....02 tod

Dan Oliphant
07-07-2006, 2:12 PM
I agree with Tod, just make your rabbit large enough to compensate for the 1/4 inch.

Chip Charnley
07-07-2006, 3:14 PM
I absolutely agree with Tod and Dan. Unless this is REALLY old stained glass with REALLY soft, pure lead, leading, it will not take kindly to trying to square it. It's entirely possible it was made that way (albeit not intentionally). Oversize the rabbet and shim the gaps to stabilize the stained glass and enjoy the results.

Mike Williams
07-07-2006, 4:38 PM
Cecil - I agree with the earlier posts. I'm just about 100% sure you could not square up the panel without breaking many of the pieces of glass. If the panel was 'cemented' or 'puttied' under the lead came (as it should have been), it is probably even more difficult than you are imagining.

If you really want the panel square, the only reliable way is to take it to a stained glass shop, let them take it all apart and put it back together with new lead. They may break a piece in the process, and there is no guarantee they'll be able to find a perfect match.

Sounds to me like the out of square just adds to the character of the piece.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

skip coyne
07-07-2006, 4:53 PM
the challange is to make a frame with a matching "rack" ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-07-2006, 5:02 PM
Ditto on the leave it out of square and alter the bed in your frame to accept it. There is a good shot the glass worker make it out of square. Which of course means you can't change it. In the alternate, if it got racked over a long period you still can't change it as the slow stretching of the lead caming and shifting of glass can't likely be duplicated in a few hours. Besides, if you didn't observe the out of square condition when you first picked it up it's likely no one else will either. If they do, it'll be a conversation starter.

Mike Cutler
07-07-2006, 5:36 PM
Cecil.

Don't try to square the glass. Square the frame and cheat the rabbett. use either a silicon bead to stabilize it, hand trim the rabbett to accomodate the out of sqaure, or use weatherstripping to hold it in the rabbett.

One more thing. You may be considering doing a dado along the length, and insetting the glass. This is not a great idea. In the event that the glass needs to be repaired the entire frame would have to be taken apart.

Her are some examples of stained glass panels that I inset into doors. They are removable from the doors.

If you could. Post a pic of the racked stained glass panel. The clearer an image that folks have of what your up against. The better solutions they may be able to offer. Besides. I like stained glass. It's cool

Del Williams
07-07-2006, 7:30 PM
Yet another vote for making the new frame fit the existing stained glass. Wife used to dabble in making stained glass panels some years ago. I got the duty of building frames to house her creations. Deep rabbets work wonders!

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2006, 11:59 PM
As soon as Tod replied I mentioned to LOML that there was some "hillbilly" wisdom there to which she agreed. So as things stand the frame is built to compensate for the racking and should be ready for some sanding and finish soon. Unfortunately we have to attend a funeral tomorrow and a brunch Sunday, both of which are across town (35 mi. drive) and will take the best part of both weekend days. Hopefully I will get some time to finish up next week and will post a pic when it is installed. Thanks to everyone for the advice, this is really different from a panel door.

Bob Huddleston
07-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I have worked extensively with stained glass. If you do want to have it fixed, take it to a reputable place. New lead caming and more solid solder joints might not be a bad idea...restore the original beauty and make the peice more secure. One thing about not repairing is that the caming will continue to weaken and deteriorate. Eventually you might have to have the fixing done anyway.

But, as many other wise men have said here, DO NOT try to work it back into square. Trouble looms if you do.

Be well. I love the look of old non-floated stained glass.

Cecil Arnold
07-17-2006, 4:38 PM
Just bumped this to show pictures and say thanks.