PDA

View Full Version : Been lurking for awhile

Brian McInturff
07-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Just thought I'd lift my head up and say how much I appreciate all the articles and forum messages. I've been pretty busy for the past several months and haven't had much time for anything other than lurking. I did score a pretty nice Holly tree that I've cut up and will make into blanks today. Also I have 2 spalted oak bowls that are drying from the DNA bath. They've been drying for about 10 days now so I hope to finish turn, sand and finish this weekend. Not exactly sure on the type of oak as it was some large pieces that someone had dumped on site. Unfortunately no leaves. My guess would be either Laurel Oak or Live Oak as the base of one of the pieces was at least 36-40". Heavy suckers. Hopefully I can post some pics later today. Again thanks, Brian

PS: Andy H. - That Oneway 1018 has been working great! I just need to upsize to 2036 or 2436:) when the cash flow gets better.

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Welcome to SMC Brian..!!!!! Welcome to the vortex of the spinny-world we all seem to be addicted to. :rolleyes: :D

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the creek Brian, even if you are one of Andy's mayo henchmen.

John Timberlake
07-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Welcome. Lot of good turners with great ideas to learn from on here. Lookiing forward to seeing your bowls.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-07-2006, 1:07 PM
Welcome into the light Brian!

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
07-07-2006, 1:16 PM
Well, "Hey There!", Brian!

I've been wondering about where you wondered off to.

Happy to hear that Loretta is keeping you busy.

Give her a hug and a shot of WD40 for me.

Tyler Howell
07-07-2006, 1:30 PM
Not another one.
Spin Crack has taken another unsuspecting soul:( .
Welcome Brian, we are pulling for your recovery from this terrible disease.

Corey Hallagan
07-07-2006, 2:38 PM
Welcome to SMC Brian! Looking forward to more from you!

Corey

Mark Cothren
07-07-2006, 2:41 PM
Welcome Brian!

I just have one question before I decide which list to put you on... do you, like Andy, begin to salivate when you read the word.............................................. .....Moxie?

:D :D :D

Frank Chaffee
07-07-2006, 2:55 PM
Brian,
My best wishes to you as you enter the spinny way! Better you than me, after all.

…And yes Brian, while many try to slow their abysseration by choosing the vehicles of Delta (“change in x:y?... I can control this”), or Jet (“Maybe I can fly back outta here”), your straightforward mounting of the Oneway (oneway to where?), will, I’m sure provide you with a relatively pain-free ride thru the Abyss.

Just don’t neglect to tighten your straps.

Frank

And Tyler,
My closeted friend…
For my own part, I resist the tug of the vortex by freely admiring and complementing turner’s works. While I would never turn wood myself I openly admit that I am a turning voyeur.

I suggest that your resistance to the dizzily intoxicating beauty of the whirling void undermines your foundation on The Flatland.

Should you have a true desire to not loose your footing to the inviting but slippery slope of the abyss, please call me @ 1.900.999.9999. …and have your credit card handy, please.

Yours,
Frank

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2006, 3:26 PM
Welcome to SMC Brian. Looking forward to some pictures of your work.

Tom Sherman
07-07-2006, 4:30 PM
Brian, new folks is always welcome, regardless of what color spinnythings that own them.:D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-07-2006, 6:26 PM
Welcome to the Abyss, Brian. I envy you your Oneway---I wish I had the cash available to purchase one of those bad boys. I also look forward to seeing pictures!!!

Ernie Nyvall
07-07-2006, 7:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek Brian.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 8:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek and the turner's forum Brian! I stumbled down here late last fall.......While trying to defend myself against the derelicts here, I must have offended someone! To get revenge the "gifted" me with a Mini....Now...I can't find my way out of the Vortex! Oneway huh?......Andy just loves that! Mark.....if he owns a Oneway....he probably likes Moxie....Put on the list with Andy!

Christopher K. Hartley
07-07-2006, 8:38 PM
Welcome to another Oak Guy!!! Great to have you join us in the Vortex. We'd love to see some pics!:)

Andy Hoyt
07-07-2006, 8:48 PM
Umm, fellers. Brian aint new to the creek. Fell in a long time ago.

Here's proof - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23732

That was my very first post!

Brian McInturff
07-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Yep, Andy is correct. Been a member for a long time. 2004 I think. Mainly lurk though and hadn't actually been spinning all that long. After getting Loretta from Andy I had neck surgery(4 disk replaced OUCH) and recouping. I have turned some pens and been hanging out lately over at the IAP when time permits. Then I advanced to the oak bowls a few weeks ago and will finish turn them tomorrow. I'll post pics tomorrow also, after I take them. I've done some turning in the past but that was on a shopsmith and I really wasn't impressed with myself at the time. Since that long ago experience I've learned that sharp tools are the key so I invested in a slow speed 8" grinder, Wolverine setup, and also the Tormek. Sharp tools make all the difference in the world. But man this spalted oak is something else. No wonder that tree lived so long here at the beach, it's tough.
I would like to say thanks for all the welcomes though. It's been so long since I've been here I might as well be a noobe. Pics will follow.
I hate to ask but what is a Moxie.......

Brian

Wayne Bitting
07-07-2006, 10:34 PM
As everyone has already said, welcome to SMC Brian! Guess I'm not the new guy anymore:) !!!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I hate to ask but what is a Moxie.......

Brian

Hey Mark...........He owns a Oneway but doesn't consume Moxie like Andy does...........Put him on the other list!:D

Brian McInturff
07-08-2006, 8:43 AM
Ok, I see now. Moxie was a soft drink. Can't say I ever tried it. Actually never made it to Maine. One of only 4 states I haven't been to. Work had me traveling alot. Time to head to the shop!!
Brian

Glenn Hodges
07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Brian you can tell you are welcomed to be out of the closet on the SMC. I am glad to have another Southern Coastal Plain woodturner in the group. You and I are exposed to the same type of wood. If I might be of any help just holler. We will be looking forward to some pictures of you work.