PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on shop layout & DC

David Croteau
07-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I’m setting up a basic home shop to build some furniture and could use some feedback before I get too far along. This is the rough layout I’m thinking of using. Some of this is hypothetical at the moment—I don’t even own a band saw or an outfeed/assembly table, yet—but I’m trying to plan ahead.
<O:p</O:p
Layout:
--I’m trying to balance the need for adequate space around machines with the need to group them for dust collection efficiency. All tools—with possible exception of TS—will be on casters.
--In case it’s not clear, tools (left to right in the overhead image) are: router, RAS, drill, bandsaw, jointer, DC. TS and planer are in the middle.
Dust:
--I have a Delta 50-760 DC. However, this is my first attempt to use ductwork with it. I know it’s not very powerful, so I’m trying to get as much efficiency out of the system as I can.
--I’ve tried to rough-calculate loads and I think this will work—but I’m concerned I’m overly ambitious with this layout.
--Ducts are just roughed in. Actual would not have sharp 90-degree turns, etc. The pink duct = 6”; blue = 5”; green =4”. Each machine would have a 45-degree branch to attach a short 4” hose. I’m planning on using metal duct, again to maximize efficiency.
Any feedback or advice on any of this?

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 2:26 PM
($0.02) I would suggest you install the duct over head rather that at chair rail height so you have more floor space by being able to move the machines closer to the wall and so you have more freedom to change layout in the future. I can see an advantage to having it run at the same level as the intake to the DC but the DC should be able to cope with overhead duct.

David Croteau
07-07-2006, 4:13 PM
Julio,
I hear you about floor space. But I'll have to try to run the numbers on this. My concern is that the vertical branches would add so much resistance that I'd undermine whatever effectiveness I have with this DC. (The 570 is just a 1 1/2 HP.) In fact, I even toyed with the idea of running the branch to the planer and TS on the floor.

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 4:24 PM
The DC is on a movabel stand no? Perhaps two branches run seperate so you can wheel the DC from one to the other.
I.e.: You have the TS, planer, jointer, drum sander on one branch and Dp, BS, Sander, etc. on another. You wont use one set right after the other. In other words, you will use the jointer, planer and TS one after the other but prob wont use the bandsaw right after the TS or other machines on that branch. Did that make any sense?

Or, put the DC located midway along the run and just disconnect and reconnect to the branch you will use.

You may even gain more CFM's by making the runs shorter

Just a thought.