PDA

View Full Version : Review of Triton's new 2-1/4hp Plunge Router

Bill Esposito
07-07-2006, 8:12 AM
Hi Folks, I just finished this and thought some might be interested.

Triton MOF001 Review (http://nhwoodworker.com)
http://nhwoodworker.com/triton2/triton_2hp.jpg

Alan Turner
07-08-2006, 6:40 AM
Nice review; thanks.

Tyler Howell
07-08-2006, 8:53 AM
Thanks Bill.
Haven't been to your site for a while.
I like the facelift;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Your review was one of the reasons I bought the big triton.

I like the thing, but I slammed it hard when I reviewed it on Amazon as they wanted so much money for the thing and I didn't feel that it was anywhere near worth the price.

I was and remain OK with the show price of $190.00

John Miliunas
07-08-2006, 1:51 PM
Bill, thanks for the great review! Appreciate all the detail and time you put into it. Well done! :) Also, on your tip about putting a piece of rubber into the collet opening; Been doing that for years on all of my routers, albeit I found the easiest material is to just pick up some 1/2" "O" rings. Work great! :) :cool:

Bill Esposito
07-08-2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks all.

Cliff, I hear you. But I almost never comment on price because it is so very subjective and because some people think everything should be cheap (except their salaries of course :)) and there's just no pleasing them, while others could care less. And then, what do you put value on? What I find of value and would pay more for someone else might not. So I usually just try to skirt the cost/value thing and just describe the item and test it. Though I think I did mention that the included accessories with this router added to the value. Certainly with regard to the TRC-001, $190 is a much more attractive price than $269 or $319 which is what I think I paid....but then when I was looking you couldn't get a Hitachi or Freud for under $180 and the Bosch and other 3+hp routers were all over $300.

I think one problem with the original Triton pricing on all their stuff was that the products were actually made in Australia and that had to be expensive. Now you'll notice that this router and the new version of the Superjaws are made in PRC (Taiwan). I'd be interested to know if you noticed where your version of the TRC-001 was made, Australia or PRC?

btw, when I was doing the soft start testing, the Festool was in its own class, virtually no torque, but I'll leave that to give me something to talk about when I do a writeup on the OF1400.

Bill Esposito
07-08-2006, 3:46 PM
Bill, thanks for the great review! Appreciate all the detail and time you put into it. Well done! :) Also, on your tip about putting a piece of rubber into the collet opening; Been doing that for years on all of my routers, albeit I found the easiest material is to just pick up some 1/2" "O" rings. Work great! :) :cool:

John, now how the heck am I to be expected to find little black o-rings when I need them. The big chunk of red rubber in my junk drawer may be more work but it's always there for me :D