PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
07-07-2006, 7:49 AM
Friday July 7th, 2006

Another weekend is upon us after what should have been a short week for most.

I'm finally starting to make some sawdust, so after some golf I'll be starting to make something. Gonna reserve some time Sunday and try and get down to see Spring. If the moonshine that Tod's sending gets here in time I'll take that down to help Spring through the hard times.:D

So what's on your agenda? Enjoy and most of all make it a safe one.

Karl

Joe Marotta
07-07-2006, 7:56 AM
I am about halfway through with assembling my TS3650. Hopefully I will be able to knock that out on Saturday. After that I will work on getting my shop organized so that I can fire it up.

Probably will spend some time at the pool with the kiddos as well. The weather will be nice enough that I am sure that the golf course will be calling me, but I think I will hold off on that this weekend.

Nick Clayton
07-07-2006, 8:52 AM
I'm headed to the comforts of a hammock and the ocean breeze of Cape Cod </ST1:pfor the first part of the weekend. Then I'm headed back up to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:pBoston </ST1:p</st1:City>area for a cabinet building class at Woodcraft on Sunday.

After the class I will need to regroup and do penance for dragging the LOML away from the <ST1:pCape and Sunday quahoging</ST1:p for my WWC. Maybe sawdust after work next week?????

Jim Hager
07-07-2006, 8:55 AM
My list of projects just keeps growing longer and longer, that is a good thing but it doesn't leave much time for anything but making sawdust.

This weekend I'll be working on a sewing room cabinet set. Three vertical storage units with adjustable shelving behind doors and also one with drawers for storage of patterns, thread, and stuff. I just finished putting in a bath vanity for the same customer yesterday afternoon.

Art Mulder
07-07-2006, 8:58 AM
Hmmm... got a project in white oak that needs some finish sanding, and then it is time for the finish.

(I tried fuming a test piece, and it sure turned dark. But to me it was too muddy/chocolate coloured for my taste. I tried a test piece with Circa 1850 Tung-n-Teak, which looked nice, but I wanted something a bit richer coloured. So I was in the store checking out stains and picked up a can of flecto Varathane stain - I forget the exact tint, but it gives a lighter version of a dark-mission colour. I might try that. On the other hand, at the request of my eldest son, I also picked up a can of their "Cabernet" tint stain. He likes red. I dunno... on the one hand it's not something I would have picked. On the other... he's my son. ;))

Other than that, well I may see if the grass needs cutting, and play with the kids. Oh yeah, and drop my 2nd son off at a birthday party on Sunday. At the home of an acquaintance who just happens to run a hobby business of finding and sawing urban logs into lumber and air-drying them. He's a builder by trade, and therefore often can get a crack at the trees that they take down in new subdivisions.

So a mostly laid back weekend ahead.

best,
...art

John Timberlake
07-07-2006, 8:59 AM
Making the legs for a table our club is building for a raffle give-away at a woodworking show. Also have to weed the garden and mow the lawn.

Larry Fox
07-07-2006, 9:05 AM
Assembling end panels for my (seemingly endless) kitchen cabinet project.

Matt Meiser
07-07-2006, 9:45 AM
Assuming my back does OK, I need to mow the lawn and I really hope to get some time to try out the lathe.

Andy Hoyt
07-07-2006, 9:50 AM
Gonna be a great weekend replete with a pleasant combination of turning, spinning, and abysserating.

Tim Solley
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm almost finished with the dresser for my soon to be born son's room. He's due in less than two weeks. All I have left to do is put on the curly maple drawer fronts (14 bd ft worth($)) and apply some trim. Then I'm ready to finish. I'll easily finish the dye job and get a coat of BLO on the project by Sunday evening.

Tim

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Taking the wife and MIL to the airport tomorrow very early am. They are flying to MIL's Illinois residence. LOML will be gone for 3 weeks. I'll be batching it. Don't know if I'll remain in Spokane until Woodcraft opens or if I'll show some restraint and return home?:rolleyes: This weekend...housework...yardwork and maybe a little turning.

Matt Meiser
07-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Don't know if I'll remain in Spokane until Woodcraft opens or if I'll show some restraint and return home?:rolleyes:

I think you already know the right thing to do.:D

Chip Olson
07-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Got a friend's cookout Saturday evening and going to my folks' for dinner Sunday evening. Other than that, hoping to get some more cabinets assembled, and maybe start dealing with the back yard again. My project of seeding a lawn back there got somewhat delayed by it raining for all of May and most of June, and now of course it's in the process of reverting back to forest.

I came down with cellulitis last week (which won me a fun night in the ER), but a week's worth of Cephalexin kicked its butt. Fortunately, last weekend was already going to be so busy I'd already written off getting any shop time in.

Karl Laustrup
07-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Taking the wife and MIL to the airport tomorrow very early am. They are flying to MIL's Illinois residence. LOML will be gone for 3 weeks. I'll be batching it. Don't know if I'll remain in Spokane until Woodcraft opens or if I'll show some restraint and return home?:rolleyes: This weekend...housework...yardwork and maybe a little turning.

HMMMM! Let's weigh the options here.

WOODCRAFT, while I'm already in Spokane......or..........:D

Go straight home and do housework and yardwork?????? :( :(

Tough choice there Ken. I know you'll make the right decision though. ;) :D

Karl

Al Willits
07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Sat will be finish setting up the jointer and planer, and cleaning, least till it gets to warm, then maybe an evening with the wife somewhere cool, Sunday is early am golf, then garage cleaning and rumor has it Tyler will make an appearance some time this weekend....:)

Predicting low 90's for this weekend, bit warm for us snow birds...:)

Also hoping on starting the miter saw cabinet if all goes well..

Hope everybody has a safe and well time.

Al

Don Baer
07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
I'll be transporting "The Bomb" to California from Arizona and handing it off to another creeker. For those who don't know what I'm talking about refer to this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37303&page=31

Then I'll be packing up the house and throwing stuff away. Escrow is due to close Aug 1 so no real time for woodworking.

Jerry Strojny
07-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Working on shelves for the nursery and shopping for some wood for the crib. Baby due in 12 weeks....holy crap, I'm behind schedule. :eek:
Looks like over-time in the shop. (Oh darn ;) )
And I need to find some help to get a new jointer downstairs to the shop. (Plus time to set it up. Guess I need help (muscle) for that too.) To bad this wasn't last weekend. I could use the extra days. There's always tomorrow, right?

Tyler Howell
07-07-2006, 12:11 PM
The eternal punch list of home remuttling projects :o. Saw some progress last night.
Going to see it Al's wife will let him come out and play.

Working on my mom's estate and then a little R&R.
Play safe.:cool:

Bob Huddleston
07-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Time for me to put some energy into making upper and lower shops cabinets. Have done the research, drawn out what I want, and am ready to go. 1/2 " Melamine for the upper boxes; 3/4" Melamine for the lower with oak faceframes. Ah...get ready for the dust to fly!

Have a safe and happy weekend, all!

Bob

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Howdy Karl,

More work on the computer desk as long as work permits. Gotta spend some time with my 11 yr old son on the lathe since he's wanting more time on the lathe. Gotta finish up a bowl for a lady that is buying a bowl from me. I hope to start the commissioned kitchen table before long, but I'll need to go and see Tod when I do. :)

I play bass at church on Sunday...so that day will be fairly full.

Have a great weekend.

Michael Gibbons
07-07-2006, 1:50 PM
As of 1:30 today I am finally done powerwashing and 2 coat restaining of the front porch. Tomorrow at 5:00 am, We leave for the U.P. for a week of fishing and R&R. See ya'll next Saturday.

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 2:28 PM
Installing duct work for cyclone, cleaning shop.

Mark Pruitt
07-07-2006, 2:42 PM
Whatever I plan on doing, I'll probably wind up doing something else.:rolleyes:

So, I'll just plan on doing something else and maybe then I'll actually wind up doing what I would have planned if I had planned what I want to be doing.:p

Mark (the attention deficit king, who REALLY hopes to get his workbench leg assemblies glued up this weekend!):D

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2006, 3:12 PM

AND a little "Old Style" Beer...:)

David Duke
07-07-2006, 3:12 PM
Should get the sharpening station I am building finished this weekend but will have to work it in between taking LOML out to eat this evening, helping move my sister inlaw tomorrow and a birthday party Sunday...............come to think of it, might not get finished with that project after all

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2006, 3:26 PM
Have friends over tonight for R&R. Tommorrow, head down to Elgin to pick up my order of 80 bf of Cherry at the WWer meeting. While there, Lars will "handoff" to me (Pony Express) some stolen good headed for parts North (near the guy w his arm in a cast in a town named Red Green..Maybe I got that wrong. Could be Spring Red?). If my knee cooperates, plan to spend some time in the shop. Monday, the gentleman who helped me build the cabin is visiting for a few days w his wife. Earlier this week I finished my "weekend"repairs on the kitchen sink drain and the exterior light timer. Now,my bride is asking me to build her an outdoor cedar storage box. Hmmm, lots of choices.

Fred Voorhees
07-07-2006, 9:26 PM
Got started on a pair of cafe style swinging doors that my Mother wanted built for her home in Cape May, NJ - so I will be working on them this weekend. Besides that, I will be planting some new hostas I picked up about a week ago and have been sitting in their pots all of this time. Some trimming with my new Stihl string trimmer needs to be done after some Friday "after work" lawn mowing and I will be hitting the dirt track races Saturday night. Maybe a little bit more work on the doors in the shop Sunday morning and "fussin" around before the guys come over to take in the days NASCAR event. Gotta make use of this weekend as next weekend, myself and another buddy will be heading back down to Cape May for some more bass and pickeral fishing.