PDA

View Full Version : in my honest opinon....

laurie sullivan
07-07-2006, 1:14 AM
when i get to go out to my garage and turn a new pen or get to work on a bowl, i get such a great feeling of accomplishment. i only get to do this on the weekends, because i own and run my own business. everynight i come to this forum and see all the wonderful work you all put outduring the week. it makes me jealous. i want to retire and do nothing but turn, turn, turn. (can't yet)

i just want to thank you for all the information and ideas you provide on the site.:)

laurie

Dick Parr
07-07-2006, 2:10 AM
Laurie, that should give you something to look forward to then during the week. Enjoy turning whenever you can, there is a lot of great information provided by a lot of nice people on here that are always ready to help someone.

Enjoy turning and turn safe.;)

Tom Sherman
07-07-2006, 7:30 AM
Laurie, I can relate to your problem, I have been sidelined by a bumb knee for the past couple of months and during that time I have been going nuts looking at the great work posted on these pages. I have however been released by my doc to return(no pun intended) to turning and while I have encountered some difficulties I will continue. When I return to work, I will be limited to weekends as well so we'll just have to do the best we can.
Chin up and keep turning.

John Miliunas
07-07-2006, 8:51 AM
I know how you feel, Laurie. Even when I was able, 2 jobs and required flatwork kept getting in the way, more often than not! :( Hang in there...It'll get better! :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
07-07-2006, 9:04 AM
It's a drug!!!! :eek: The meth users say the same thing.
Spin crack will ruin your life :(
Run away. They have 12 step groups for these addictions.:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 9:14 AM
Laurie........Hang in there! Weekends are when a lot of us get to turn! Recently I went for 3 weeks without turning! Didn't realize how much I missed it until I got back on the lathe! Hang in there and keep at it!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 9:16 AM
It's a drug!!!! :eek: The meth users say the same thing.
Spin crack will ruin your life :(
Run away. They have 12 step groups for these addictions.:rolleyes:

You're right Tyler...12 steps.......6 steps back from the lathe.....tip your head a little.....Yup the form is looking pretty good........6 steps forward.....place the tool on the tool rest........take a little more off........:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-07-2006, 9:20 AM
Same old story!

I'm lucky in that I can sneak away from the L shop for an hour here or there, but I NEVER EVER get a whole day at it, just does not happen, so I do stuff in smaller bites of time.

Cheers!

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2006, 9:22 AM
Laurie,

Hang in there. Many of us turn more on the weekend than during the week, but I do squeeze in an occassional spin or two during the week if the job and flatwork commissions don't get in the way too much. Chin up..!!!! Now, how about a pic of something you've turned recently? ;) :D

Doug Thompson
07-07-2006, 9:36 AM
That's what makes life so much fun... there is always something to look forward to... turning is one of them.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Enjoy it while you can. Retirement will come fast enough. I look forward to weekends of turning so I can relax.

George Conklin
07-07-2006, 11:54 AM
when i get to go out to my garage and turn a new pen or get to work on a bowl, i get such a great feeling of accomplishment. i only get to do this on the weekends, because i own and run my own business. everynight i come to this forum and see all the wonderful work you all put outduring the week. it makes me jealous. i want to retire and do nothing but turn, turn, turn. (can't yet)

i just want to thank you for all the information and ideas you provide on the site.:)

laurie

I share you're sentiments, Laurie. The people here on the Creek are the best! I recently had a chance to meet Don Baer. He's even a better guy in person:) .

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Laurie, I can relate to your problem, I have been sidelined by a bumb knee for the past couple of months and during that time I have been going nuts looking at the great work posted on these pages. I have however been released by my doc to return(no pun intended) to turning and while I have encountered some difficulties I will continue. When I return to work, I will be limited to weekends as well so we'll just have to do the best we can.
Chin up and keep turning.

Hi Tom What's your knee issue? I'm going through PT now for chrondomalacia and IT Band sydrome (all of which means: a bad knee).Some improvement. Take it easy. Get some anti fatigue mats and good quality comfortable shoes. They help get u iback in the shop...

Jim Becker
07-07-2006, 9:34 PM
Well, if you find any extra time lying around...send a little to me. I really need to do some more turning, too...Serious mental heath benefits in that!!

Don Baer
07-07-2006, 9:59 PM
Since my shop time has been limited, I've found myself chucking up any ole piece of wood and just making curls to practice my technique with a skew or a gauge just to get a turners fix. Even if for only a few minutes. Hmmm maybe theres something to Tyler spin crank claims. ....:eek: :D :D :D
Ok enough said. time to make some curls.....:D :D :D :D

Ernie Nyvall
07-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I know what you mean Lauire. I hace receivd enough information here to fill 19 books. These people here have been great.

Ernie

Don Baer
07-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Just a note. Having met with George Conklin in person I look forward to sharing a lot of my wood working with him. He is indeed a gentleman.

George Conklin
07-08-2006, 2:24 PM
Just a note. Having met with George Conklin in person I look forward to sharing a lot of my wood working with him. He is indeed a gentleman.

Looks like I fooled you too, Don:D

Looking forward to your perminent relocation out here to the oven:) .

Don Baer
07-08-2006, 5:22 PM
Ernie,
It 100 degrees here today in Califonia and humid so I guess I'll be prepared.

Mark Patoka
07-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Laurie, At least with turning you can get that sense of accomplishment in a short weekend. Most projects allow you to go from start to finish in no time. How many times do we sit there and think during the day "if I had an extra half hour I know I could rough out that bowl blank"? Something to look forward to, just like retirement.

Dave Wimmer
07-09-2006, 8:05 AM
Gee, I don't know how I ever found time to work 40 hours a week!

Christopher K. Hartley
07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
...i want to retire and do nothing but turn, turn, turn. (can't yet)...

I'm with you Laurie, I do get a little weeknight time in but it kills me when I'm out traveling and cant get close to the smell of blanks waiting to be turned. Looking down the road...do you think there's an old folks home with Lathes and Blanks?;)