PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Dust Collector???

Brian Kent
07-06-2006, 9:42 PM
Are the Harbor Freight Dust Collectors worth it?

2 HP for $229. On sale for $180 and they sent me a coupon for 20% off, so $144 plus tax.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45378
or…

1 HP portable (horizontal, 1 bag) for $120, or $96 after the coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31810

I buy simple utility tools from Harbor Freight and go elsewhere for fine precision tools. I just bought a Grizzly 1023 table saw. My shop is small and my emphasis is handtools (Neandrathal Galoot-in-training).

I currently us an overhead JET AFS 1000B Air filtration unit and my Rigid shop vac. My other power tools are small - a benchtop sander, drill press, router table. My shop is very small - one car of a two-car garage, and my area includes the washer and dryer.

Thus I am committed to the joy of the tools I now own, with the new table saw being the central power tool and a Scandinavian style workbench the center of my focus on hand-tool woodworking.

So my questions are:

Would the 1 hp dust collector work for my setting, with the dust collector connected to the table saw with about a 12 inch hose?

Are the Harbor Freight dust collectors reasonable tools for my setting?

Thank you for your wisdom. I am trying to put my money into the wood I cut and the tools that cut the wood.

Brian

Brad Townsend
07-06-2006, 10:21 PM
The first thing you would have to do with the 2 hp HFDC is get different bags for it because the ones that come with it do not really provide any real protection from fine dust. Add $75-100. Or as an alternative, you can by a canister type filter for the top and use a heavy plastic bag on the bottom. This provides good filtration and much better air flow, but again, add around $100.

Like many on this site, I have the HFDC and Wynn filter combination and it works fine, but I think there are now probably better choices for the money you would end up spending. Since the HFDC feeding frenzy began, Delta has introduced some other lower end models that seem to get good notice, and another that is mentioned is the 1 1/2 hp Shop Fox. (Keep in mind also that the HFDC motor is probably more like 1 1/2 hp and not the 2hp it is advertised as.) I really know nothing about the smaller unit.

Jerry Olexa
07-06-2006, 11:20 PM
The first thing you would have to do with the 2 hp HFDC is get different bags for it because the ones that come with it do not really provide any real protection from fine dust. Add $75-100. Or as an alternative, you can by a canister type filter for the top and use a heavy plastic bag on the bottom. This provides good filtration and much better air flow, but again, add around $100.

Like many on this site, I have the HFDC and Wynn filter combination and it works fine, but I think there are now probably better choices for the money you would end up spending. Since the HFDC feeding frenzy began, Delta has introduced some other lower end models that seem to get good notice, and another that is mentioned is the 1 1/2 hp Shop Fox. (Keep in mind also that the HFDC motor is probably more like 1 1/2 hp and not the 2hp it is advertised as.) I really know nothing about the smaller unit.

Brad is right on w his suggestions. I too have this model (2HP) but have added a Wynn conversion filter, new bag as well as a nuetral vane (for air flow correction). For the $ invested, it is adequate. A cyclone is better but significantly more cash. I personally would not go w a 1hp portable unit IMHO. I think the HFDC is still the most inexpensive way to try a DC for a smaller shop. Later you can upgrade or improve as needed...Just my 2 cents

scott spencer
07-07-2006, 6:42 AM
Alot of people have found the HF DC to be a decent value....I wouldn't bother with the 1hp model. I got a flyer yesterday that had their 2hp model on sale for $170. It's worth noting that the 2hp motor has been tested to closer to 1.5hp, the impeller is ~ 10.75", and the motor is not convertable from 110v to 220v. So while it may not hold it's own against a Jet or Delta with equivalent specs, it seems to be good enough for most owners. Some units have had some switch problems, but it appears to be an easy fix.

The bag upgrade is pretty important IMHO. Grizzly offers bags that will fit and work well that are on sale for $20 each...~ $50 shipped for a set.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5556

Tim Solley
07-07-2006, 11:47 AM
I too have the HF 2 HP model. I haven't upgraded it, but I also work out of a garage and always have the large door open and a big fan circulating the air. So most of the fine dust gets pushed out of the shop really fast.

After advertisement and coupon mine came to around $130. I think it was a real steal and I couldn't be happier. There are better alternatives out there, but you won't get them for this kind of price.

Tim

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 2:32 PM
I am not a big fan of HF stuff, I have the 1hp horizontal dc you mentioned and frankly its not very good ( I am being very polite)

I can see the dust puffing through the so called 5 micron bag. I had a 4" duct extension about 5" long next to a disk sander and it captured about 30% of the dust.

Matthew Poeller
07-07-2006, 3:55 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94029

I like it very much. It is similar to the smaller one that you posted but I believe that it is the "better" model. I did upgrade the bag. I have also found that it is very similar to the ones on the market that carry the name Delta and Jet.

With that said I did not pay $199 for it and would not suggest it at this price. It regularly goes on sale for $99. If I remember correctly Harbor Freight is on a 6 to 8 week sale cycle.

Hope this helps.

Matt