PDA

View Full Version : Router bushing colars

Michael Merrill
07-06-2006, 8:44 PM
I'm getting ready to use my router to cut mortises for the first time. I'm planning to use a mortise jig and use my plunge router. I have 3 routers and 2 of these I'd like to get bushings for doing this work and other work in following patterns and such.

My Routers are a Dewalt DW621K, the opening is 1", stepped to 1 7/32", the other is an older Bosch 1604 model with a 40mm opening.

Is there a set that can work for both?
I've never done this, how is the bushing held in place, I see no threads?
Where would you purchase these, Rockler, WoodPeckers, Other?

Thanks, look forward to getting this started soon. Any help is appreciated, if I'm off track please set me straight, like I said this is new for me.

Doug Shepard
07-06-2006, 9:03 PM
The bushing sets come with a threaded collar that slips onto the backside of the bushing. I've got the DW621 and didn't have any problem with a set I picked up at a WW show fitting the DW adapter. Not sure if the metric size on the Bosch will work with the generic sets or not. As far as I know Porter Cable set the standard on the size of the bushings and I think all the makers try to accomodate that standard so the Bosch may work fine - I just dont have any experience with it. The biggest issue with using them is adapters (the part provided with your router) that may or may not be centered on the router with respect to the bit. The bushings themselves can be a bit out of round too, but it's usually the first issue that determines whether the spacing around the bit is the same on all sides. I dont remember any significant issues with this on the DW621, but your mileage may vary...

Jake Helmboldt
07-06-2006, 9:05 PM
Michael, which jig are you using? I assume it is one that uses the bushing to guide it? If you don't have a jig already there are plenty of designs that don't use any extra parts, just the base to guide it.

I made a self-centering jig that I clamp to the stock and which uses a couple runners to guide the base and an adjustable stop block to set the length of the mortise.

Jake

Cecil Arnold
07-06-2006, 9:06 PM
I think the Dewalt will use the standard PC bushings, the Bosch, if it is anything like the newer ones (bayonet fitting) will need an adapter (should be available from Bosch) to accept the PC bushings.

glenn bradley
07-06-2006, 9:15 PM
40 mm is 'about' 1 11/16", a far cry from your 1 7/16. I solved the problem by getting a Turn-Lock base and bushing set:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10841

The bushings work fine for dovetail jigs, etc. and they're always centered even when you change sizes so, no re-centering. The base is available in 6 or 7 inch (I have both) and along with the bushings work with Turn-lock's sign crafter and other goodies.

Michael Merrill
07-06-2006, 9:20 PM
Jake, I was planning to build a mortise jig that was based on the bushing guiding along the inside of the jig cutout. I think I do follow your suggestion that no guide is needed as the base itself could be the guide.

I would think one draw back is that it would depend on the shape of the router and the Dewalt isn't round, kinda oval like. Also I think the jig would tend to be large and maybe a bit harder to clamp to the work pieces. I could be wrong though????

I'm open to all options, if anyone has a jig to show with or without plans I'd love to see them. The commercial products are too expensive for a hobbiest.

Jim Becker
07-06-2006, 9:22 PM
The DeWalt uses the "defacto standard" guide bushings that equate to the PC format. The Bosch in stock format doesn't. Just replace the sub-base with one from Pat Warner and you can use the same guide bushings in both machines.

Allen Bookout
07-06-2006, 11:17 PM
Michael,

I have a DeWalt 621 and replaced the base plate with one from Pat Warner (patwarner.com) that is clear and puts the center of the bit in the center of the base to avoid the problem that you were talking about with the irregular base. The router is also much more stable now. You can see it in the photo below. The photo is a mortising jig that I copied from one that Pat Warner sells commerically (he indicates that it is ok to take info from his site). I was just using it today and it really works slick. I had to guess at some of the dimensions of the jig but it came out OK.

I am also thinking about building this one someday when I am looking for a small project. Looks like that it would be really slick also.

http://www.plansnow.com/dn3081.html