PDA

View Full Version : Jet CS Table Saw inquiry

John Miliunas
09-17-2003, 9:58 PM
With the impending real shop closing in, I've decided I want to replace my contractor TS with the real McCoy. :D In the latest edition of "Wood" mag., they test several and, by the looks of it, Jet pretty much holds its own *except*, the Jet shows significant blade scoring in their test. The main reason I'm concerned about the Jet, at this point, is because I'm seriously thinking about doing a multiple purchase through GIS, scratch & dent. (Looking at the 16/32 Performax and the 20" Jet BS in the package.) I know there are a LOT of folks out there using Jet cabinet saws, but the tests conducted have me a bit leary. Obviously, by going with S&D, I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, but then there's the old, "A penny wise, etc....". The General ranked #1, but it's significantly higher priced. I'm also considering the Bridgewood, left tilt, but them I'm back to high S/H costs. :(

So, how about you Jet CTS owners out there: Offer up any advice? Tips? Warnings? I really would appreciate it! :cool:

Jim Becker
09-17-2003, 10:38 PM
According to a post not long ago on WOOD ONLINE from a fellow that asked Jet directly about this...the problem has supposedly been rectified. Same goes for the PM-66. My Jet LT has been wonderful and not exhibited the scoring unless the blade gets dull and the wood is punky.

You probably can get a very good deal on the saw from GIS. Just be sure you understand your warrenty clearly. The S&D stuff sometimes has a non-factory warranty, rather than the lifetime warranty from a new purchase. Not a problem as long as you know about it and understand it.

John Miliunas
09-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info, Jim. I guess it would make the most sense to inquire directly about this issue to the folks at GIS. I do believe the warranty from GIS is 90 days, but I could be wrong. Isn't the Jet OEM warranty only a year, in the first place? :cool:

scott spencer
09-18-2003, 6:27 AM
John - It's good that Jet/PM has addressed the issue, but does anyone know if Jet/PM is addressing the scoring problem on other units that were previously manufactured around the same time? They had to have produced more than just those two problematic machines that Wood Mag had on hand. Are they offering a fix through their warranty? If I were in the market now, that would be a concern for me.

John Davidson
09-18-2003, 7:20 AM
With the impending real shop closing in, I've decided I want to replace my contractor TS with the real McCoy. :D In the latest edition of "Wood" mag., they test several and, by the looks of it, Jet pretty much holds its own *except*, the Jet shows significant blade scoring in their test. The main reason I'm concerned about the Jet, at this point, is because I'm seriously thinking about doing a multiple purchase through GIS, scratch & dent. (Looking at the 16/32 Performax and the 20" Jet BS in the package.) I know there are a LOT of folks out there using Jet cabinet saws, but the tests conducted have me a bit leary. Obviously, by going with S&D, I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, but then there's the old, "A penny wise, etc....". The General ranked #1, but it's significantly higher priced. I'm also considering the Bridgewood, left tilt, but them I'm back to high S/H costs. :(

So, how about you Jet CTS owners out there: Offer up any advice? Tips? Warnings? I really would appreciate it! :cool:

I saw this same review and was curious what was going on. I have had my RT 3hp saw for a little more than two years. It has a Forrest WWII on it and I can go straight from the saw to a panel glue up without stopping at the jointer. Has Jet addressed the review? I would like to know if it is a fluke or is there a real problem

Brad Schafer
09-18-2003, 7:31 AM
John - you're right where I am. But since I'm polite, :rolleyes: you go first. :p

b

Jim Becker
09-18-2003, 9:29 AM
Thanks for the info, Jim. I guess it would make the most sense to inquire directly about this issue to the folks at GIS. I do believe the warranty from GIS is 90 days, but I could be wrong. Isn't the Jet OEM warranty only a year, in the first place?

Jet has ads in the magazines now that indicate they now have a limited lifetime warranty. I don't know the details or which machines are covered.

Again, I was only suggesting that you know what the warranty is for things you buy. The S&D deal is different from "factory reconditioned". It's a great deal, however, if you can get the tool you want for a good price.

Bill Roland
09-18-2003, 9:55 AM
I purchased my JET CS from GIS several years ago and love it. They set-up all the saws and test them thourghly. Talk to them direct, they are real nice to deal with. I also have JET 6" Jointer and 1 1/2 hp Shaper that I purchased from GIS. Of course living in Nashville makes it easy to shop with them, and no shipping.

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-18-2003, 11:35 AM
John
I purchased my 16-32 Performax from GIS
They let me buy the sander without the stand and extension tables for a reduced price.
I mounted the sander in my own mobile base stand.
They suggested that I allow them to ship by truck rather than UPS or FedeX so that the sander wouldn't get damaged by those folks trying to lift it by hand.
So I had to go to the Old Dominion terminal in 84 PA to pick it up.
One more side comment - when talking with the folks at GIS and since I was having the sander shipped strapped to a pallet. I ask those folks to pick out a nice pallet so that LOML (the real boss) could take the pallet apart for me to use for a project.
A reasonable pallet was under the sander.
Daniel

Chuck Wintle
09-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Is GIS a distributor or woodworking store? Do they have a website?
Thanks

John Miliunas
09-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, folks! I'm starting to get a better feeling about dealing with GIS. Not to mention the fact that they are also a major prize contributor to our little family of woodworkers here at SMC! I guess I like the fact that they test the equipment before shipping it out, thus lessening the chances for initial problems with it. I think I'll have to give them a call and get a bit more info on the issues surrounding the Jet TS and its reported tendency to leave score marks, because I really like going directly from the TS to a glue-up. I've been able to do that with my Delta CS and a WWII blade with great results. I certainly wouldn't want to trade up to more power, but then give up the clean cut. Just wouldn't make sense! :cool:

John Miliunas
09-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Thanks

That would be affirmative. Their site is: http://www.generalindustrialsupp.com/
and there are quite a few SMC folks who have done business with them. :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
09-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Thanks
Charles,
GIS is General Industrial Supply and yes, they do have a website www.generalindustrialsupp.com
phone 1.800.371.2220
(I have no affiliation with this company - just bought "stuff" from them)
They sell new JET and "scratch & dent" equipment
Daniel

Diane Maluso
09-18-2003, 1:24 PM
Hi, John. I've got the Jet RT cab saw and can't say enough good stuff about it. No blade scoring with the WWII blade. I use Incra fence and miter gauge but the Jet fence is also great. It was easy to tune dead on and keeps the alignment. Dust collection is like any other tablesaw...fair to good. Switch is sturdy, blade raising and bevel mechanisms are beefy. It's a great saw and I'm glad I've got it. Wouldn't trade it for another.

Diane

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-18-2003, 4:10 PM
I bought my 6" jet gold jointer for a great price and since I use to live in Nashville I just drove up and spent the night with them and no shipping for it. I was really impressed with GIS they have quite an operation there. The best part is there is NO cosomoline on the S&D stuff it had already been cleaned and tested.
Just a happy customer

Roger

Ken Salisbury
09-22-2003, 10:48 AM
I have had a Jet Cabinet Saw for a long time (old blue version) and it has performed wonderfully over the years. Of course as a "Forrest Freak" I have always used Forrest blades on it (as I do on all my circular saws).

You will do well dealing with the folks at GIS. They are great folks there. If you have any concerns about dealing with them you can call Rick Warren (owner) directly at 1-800-371-2220. Tell him you are a SMC member. Rick has been very supportive of The Creek and even has a direct link on his web site to The Creek.