PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking-Day and Night

Travis Johnson
07-06-2006, 6:45 PM
As some of you already know, with my first-born child due to arrive any day, and my current work at the railroad requiring me to work every weekend, work the third shift and work every holiday, I decided to look for a career that was a little better geared towards family life.

I did not want to work just anywhere however and thought I would see if a local company that build high quality woodworking tools was hiring. Surprisingly enough they were. Well it took four interviews, a good resume, an article on my woodworking skills in the local newspaper and a lot of sweet talking, but I finally managed to land my dream job.

I am pleased to say that in two weeks I will be working as a Machinist for Lie Nielsen Toolworks! I am a little saddened at leaving a railroad career that has spanned 9 years, but I also look forward to working during the day, having weekends off, and machining out handtools that woodworkers all over the country will truly enjoy.

Heck, I already got my first bonus and I have not even turned on my first milling machine. You see when the Vice President read the newspaper article about my custom wooden models, he knew I use a lot of small scraps of exotic wood. Today he gave me a whole bundle of Cocobolo that they were going to throw out. (They use that wood for the handles of their tools).

Like everything, there are some downsides too of course, but overall I think I am making the right choice for my wife, my new baby girl and myself. Either way, I will now be enagaged in woodworking day and night.

Chris DiCiaccio
07-06-2006, 6:52 PM
Congradulations! Sounds like you have put your priorities in good order.

Daniel Simon
07-06-2006, 7:08 PM
Great story. I'm envious to say the least.

John Timberlake
07-06-2006, 7:30 PM
Great job opportunity. It is always nice to have time with the family and normal hours for woodworking. Good luck!

Don Baer
07-06-2006, 7:49 PM
Travis,
Congrats on the new job. Your making the best decission for your family and thats what realy counts.

Richard Wolf
07-06-2006, 7:55 PM
Best of luck, sounds great.

Richard

Ron Jones near Indy
07-06-2006, 8:07 PM
Travis,
This sounds like the correct decision for you and your family at this time.:D I'm happy for you!

Helen Gee
07-06-2006, 8:14 PM
that is sweet :) Congratulations!!!

Don Bergren
07-06-2006, 8:37 PM
Before you even said Lie Nielsen Toolworks I had a feeling that was the company you were talking about. They sure have grown over the last few years!

I didn't know anyone else on here lived in these parts. I always intend to swing over there and drool a bit but never seem to get there. Congratulations on getting the new job.

Frank Chaffee
07-06-2006, 8:38 PM
Congratulations Travis!

Great choice for yourself and loved ones.

I know how hard it is to leave a passion behind, but fear not my friend, what with your inquisitiveness you will quickly fill that void.

I, for one will be benefiting from your new employment!

Frank

Matt Meiser
07-06-2006, 8:50 PM
Congratulations! That's one cool job.

Around here if you know someone who works for an auto company you get a pretty good discount. ;) :D :D

Steve Roxberg
07-06-2006, 8:54 PM
Congrats, the best part though is we're all like family around here. Sooooo

should I be the first to ask about our new employee/family discount? :cool:

Just kidding, it should be a good time and you'll love being around the kid, mine are a blast.

glenn bradley
07-06-2006, 9:16 PM
May you and your new family have all the best!

Karl Laustrup
07-07-2006, 7:42 AM
Congrats Travis. Glad this has worked out for you and working for Lie-Nielsen is a great opportunity. Good luck with your career change and the bambino on the way.

Karl

Travis Johnson
07-07-2006, 8:29 AM
Before you even said Lie Nielsen Toolworks I had a feeling that was the company you were talking about. They sure have grown over the last few years!

I didn't know anyone else on here lived in these parts. I always intend to swing over there and drool a bit but never seem to get there. Congratulations on getting the new job.

Now is the time my friend. Tomorrow (Saturday) they are having their 25th Anniversary and they are doing shop tours and special demonstrations. You also get some discounts and stuff like that so I encourage you to go.

As for the company growing, the VP said that 15 years ago they had 5 employees, now they have 80...whoops, I mean 81 :) That is pretty good growth. I look forward to working for a growing company. I also think this will be a good fit for me overall.

Tom Sherman
07-07-2006, 8:37 AM
Way to go Travis, Congratulations on decision I don't think you'll regret.

Andy Hoyt
07-07-2006, 9:04 AM
Congrats on the new job, Travis. LN is indeed a fine outfit. Learn all you can.

Mike Wilkins
07-07-2006, 9:22 AM
Way to go Travis. Life is too short to be in a job that makes you miserable. Been there/done that. And money will never take the place of what is important-family. Enjoy it.

Tom Hamilton
07-07-2006, 9:32 AM
Congrats Travis on the new family and new job. Being around and available for fathering and husbanding is a great choice on your part.

Enjoy!

Tom

Ben Roman
07-07-2006, 9:54 AM
Congrats and lots of envy :) :). Sounds like a better life already !

Ben

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Congrats!! I think you landed a "dream" job. Sounds like it cures some of your other concerns. I wish you and your family the best. Now, could you get me a sample of a LN LA #5? :D :) Enjoy your new venture...

Jerry Strojny
07-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Wish you all the best! Career changes are never easy decisions, I think you made the right choice for you and the family. Congrats on the little one ready to come out and great work on the job hunt. (dream job is right man, you are one lucky dude.)

Tyler Howell
07-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Congrat Travis. Now about that employee discount:rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
Surely you could share it with your Neander friends;)

Mark Pruitt
07-07-2006, 1:12 PM
Good for you Travis. Congratulations on landing this job!

Dave Ray
07-07-2006, 2:02 PM
Good for you Travis, me thinks you made the right move. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Julio Navarro
07-07-2006, 4:00 PM
Congrats Travis, heres to your new future and hope the new job turns out to be all you expected and more.

Tell your new buddy (the Prez) over at Neilson that they will have new customers. I look forward to using some of your handy work.

Let us know which particular models you work on so we are sure to try them out.