PDA

View Full Version : Shop Layout / Rearranging -- UPDATED - Sketchup Ahoy!

Art Mulder
07-06-2006, 1:09 PM
I seem to recall some mention of various on-line "shop layout" tools on the internet. I've seen and used the one at Grizzly.com. It is not bad. Are the other ones out there pretty much like the Grizzly tool? For instance, do any such programs give the option of showing the suggested space that a tool needs?

I know I need to rearrange my own shop. I've just been putting it off for a while. But I find myself thinking about it today, and I was playing around with the Grizzly tool, but it just doesn't give me enough information.

I suppose I could do the whole thing in SketchUp, but I just know that will suck in a whole lot of hours of fiddling. Anyone got any better suggestions?

Or I may just stand around in the shop and plan it out "live".

Here, just for fun, I attached the current layout of my basement shop (first attachment) and then one random doodling of a possible layout.

- It is a basement shop, which is fine. The main limiting factor, I think, is that it is pretty narrow, at just a hair under 11' wide.
- I'd prefer to keep most of the bigger tools along the west wall, to simplify the DC lines.
- The storage shelves in the SE corner are, unfortunately, stuck there for the forseeable future, as we need them. maybe I can push them out in a few years.
- it is nice having horizontal surfaces, but I think I probably have too many. it clutters up the place. I am thinking that I should try to build a tall storage cabinet, and maybe get rid of one or two of the shorter cabinets. (ie: the rolling bench and the 3' cabinet) Which I did in that second doodling.
- Anyone have experience with an L-shaped workspace like I doodled?
- The DC is staying in the SW corner. The planer is in the garage, in case you are curious about the ommission. The benches and counters are all about 32" tall or so.

Comments welcome. This place tends to have good ideas.
...art
ps: just a hobbiest.

Jim Becker
07-06-2006, 2:03 PM
The second one is less cluttered and appears to be more versatile to me...versatility is important in any shop, but especially in "spatially constrained" ones...

Jim O'Dell
07-06-2006, 2:33 PM
Art, DIY network had just the show for you...yesterday afternoon.:( It was called Ultimate Workshop. I got to see about 2 minutes of it while at work cleaning the waiting room before closing. Talked about the TS and having 8' of room around it.:eek: :eek: Maybe that's why they called it the "Ultimate" workshop!:D Well, Maybe Marty's shop will have that much room!! It seemed like it had some good basic information. If you can get that channel, look for the reruns. Jim.

Brent Smith
07-06-2006, 2:39 PM
I agree with Jim, that the second one would be more versatile. The one problem I see the L shaped work area. I'm in the process of expanding my own shop. One of the things I want to accomplish is freeing my workbench on at least 3 sides. My floor drill press is at the left end of my bench and often gets in the way of being able to move around work clamped in the vise. This is especially evident when shaping something with a rasp or using carving tools.

I think Delta also has a workshop layout program available on their site.

Brent

Michael Gibbons
07-06-2006, 3:07 PM
Art, I'm going to assume that all the cabinets shown are floor cabinets. If they are get rid of a few and go with the second layout. You can build wall cabinets so the machines can be pushed up against the wall when not in use and still have plenty of cabinet space above for storage.

Mike

Art Mulder
07-06-2006, 3:39 PM
Talked about the TS and having 8' of room around it.:eek: :eek: Maybe that's why they called it the "Ultimate" workshop!:D Well, Maybe Marty's shop will have that much room!!

Marty has enough room for an indoor pool in his shop! :D Seriously, though... when you add the dimensions of a TS to that, they're talking about having a 20x20 space JUST for the Table Saw!? Funny, my shop is only 11' wide and I use my TS just fine.

I think Delta also has a workshop layout program available on their site.

I just went there to have a look, and it wouldn't let me create my shop. The error was that shops must be a minimum of 12x16'. Right. That's kind of ... arbritrary!:mad: Heck, my first shop was a 8x7 corner of the basement, enough room for a bench and some handtools, with the TS in the garage.

Jeff Horton
07-06-2006, 5:03 PM
Anyone got any better suggestions?
Yes, I have a very simple idea. Paper dolls! :) In this high tech world we have lost site of the simple old methods. I have used this on many occasions.

Just layout out a drawing to scale. Then cut out paper dolls of the equipment and what ever else you have/want in your shop. Then just move them around on the floor plan till you find something you like.

Good idea? ;) It's old but it works.

J.R. Rutter
07-06-2006, 6:58 PM
A good way to plan layout is to take a pencil to your sketch. Without lifting it from the paper, trace the flow of a typical part through the shop. By doing this for several processes, you can get an idea of where and how to group machines, benches, storage, etc. for a smooth work flow.

glenn bradley
07-06-2006, 9:26 PM
I use Microsoft Visio just because that's what I use at work for all the data network diagrams. Some diligent woodworker / network geek designed and posted a boatload of Visio icons that scale correctly. Bless this man. If you want to go that way I'll try to dig up the source or send you mine. Bear in mind they only work with Visio.

As to your drawings; I use my rolling table as an outfeed for the TS. If you plan to do so, I'd go with your second layout and be sure there is enough room to get it next to / past the workbench as required.

Harvey Chute
07-07-2006, 12:58 AM
For Visio users, I've posted a free stencil of woodworking tools that can be used for shop layout planning.

It is at http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm

- Harvey

George Pretty
07-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Harvey,

I couldn't get the first file to work with Visio 2002. Any ideas?

Art Mulder
07-08-2006, 8:12 PM
Y'know, once I got going it took surprisingly little time to doodle this up in SketchUp. Gave me an excuse to practise some more and learn about Layers. (oh and kudos to the fellow who uploaded all those woodworking tools as components to the sketchup website!! http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=38

The first picture is my current overcrowded shop. The second is a simple idea to make things a bit roomier in the short term. (the *.skp file, at almost a meg, is too big to upload to SMC, here is a link: Here Ya Go ) (http://www.imaging.robarts.ca/%7Eamulder/misc/Shop-idea1.skp)

Longer term, I think I need to build some wall-mounted cabinets and go vertical. Hmmm, wonder how it would work if I took the short cabinet and stacked it on top of the long counter....

Rick Christopherson
07-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I just have a simple suggestion about work flow. Consider moving your jointer to the other side of the tablesaw, or at least closer to the working area of the tablesaw. A common task is to joint an edge, rip to width, joint fresh sawn edge. It can be a pain to walk around the saw to get to the jointer.

Art Mulder
07-09-2006, 8:26 AM
I just have a simple suggestion about work flow. Consider moving your jointer to the other side of the tablesaw,...

Rick, I take your point, but I'm just not sure I have the room for that. If I move it to the wall behind the TS, then I lose the front/back clearance I need to joint boards.

I've thought of moving it to the E wall - beside the door, but then the DC network gets more complicated.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jim Becker
07-09-2006, 10:10 AM
My suggestion to further help with the space is to make that DP mobile and tuck it down in the lumber rack area when not in use. It will give you more clearance behind the TS when working. Honestly, keeping the J mobile can serve the same purpose. The trick to small space (and even good use of large space) is flexibility. If you bring another drop for it out under the outfeed table behind your TS, as well as power, you can take advantage of Rick's suggestion for "bouncing" between the TS and J efficiently, yet not constrain the space during other times. I do happen to agree with his premise as I find myself going between the TS and J very frequently during projects and generally speaking have the tools in somewhat of a physical relationship like what he's suggesting.

Harvey Chute
08-01-2006, 1:39 AM
Harvey,

I couldn't get the first file to work with Visio 2002. Any ideas?

Hi George, please email me with a little more info on what kind of symptoms you're seeing. The stencils should work in Visio 2002, so I'm sure we can figure it out pretty quickly.

You can send me a private message through SMC, or contact me through the site (home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm).

- Harvey