PDA

View Full Version : Need some Design help here.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
I started out to make an entry into the Au Natural thread, but the wood decided differently.

Picture 1 is the chunk of log before I started to work on it.

Well, she decided that she was too modest to go "Au Natural, so most of the bark is gone. Just enough left to be a tease!

Next, I thought, it might make an interesting hollow form! Not to be!

So, here we are. What I believe will be a rather nice looking bowl with an inward curving lip.

Pictures 2 & 3 show it as it now stands. I have the option of leaving a pedestal as a foot or reducing it to a very small foot.

In your opinion, should it have the pedestal to lift it off the table or should I remove the pedestal and leave a small foot?

Don Baer
07-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Bruce,
I am by no means an expert, but to my tastes, I loose the foot all together.

Tom Sherman
07-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Bruce I also am no expert, but I agree with Don loose the foot

Andy Hoyt
07-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Lose the foot. Looks like a mushroom on steroids!

Corey Hallagan
07-06-2006, 12:38 AM
I think it will make a very pleasing to the eye shape as is except without the foot. I like the curved lip like that alot. Nice work Bruce!

Corey

John Timberlake
07-06-2006, 8:31 AM
Make a foot just high enough to make the bowl look like it is floating above the table.

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Lose the foot. Bowl looks nice otherwise.

Mark Cothren
07-06-2006, 1:22 PM
Well, I voted to keep it a pedestal... it's something different...

Keith Burns
07-06-2006, 1:30 PM
Well, I voted to keep it a pedestal... it's something different...

Only you Mark, only you.......................:D

My vote is to loose the foot, but ultimately the decission is yours Bruce. If you like it, keep it.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-06-2006, 1:58 PM
That's why I did the poll. I kinda like the pedestal, but wish I had more material so that it would be higher off the table. At this height, I'm not sure it looks right. So far, it appears that you folks agree. I'll have to look for a larger piece, so that the proportions are better.

I won't do anything with it till the final vote is in. Then I'll finish it and post the results.

Bruce

Mark Cothren
07-06-2006, 2:18 PM
That's why I did the poll. I kinda like the pedestal, but wish I had more material so that it would be higher off the table. At this height, I'm not sure it looks right So far, it appears that you folks agree. I'll have to look for a larger piece, so that the proportions are better.

I won't do anything with it till the final vote is in. Then I'll finish it and post the results.

Bruce

Oh well...:( I say BE UNIQUE! (just like everybody else :) )

Frank Chaffee
07-06-2006, 2:45 PM
Bruce,
I like seeing people explore new territory (not for me, mind you, but I like to watch).

With no foot, the bowl would be outstanding. Personally, I’ve had it up to about here with outstanding bowls posted by the Creek’s turners.

Keeping the pedestal would definitely move this bowl into new territory. However, like Andy, I don’t see that the mushroom shape that results from that looks appropriately natural. Maybe another time.

I agree with John Timberlake that a very short foot causing the illusion of a floating bowl would be cool.

So my vote is for “Make a little foot out of it,”

Nice bowl Bruce, however you decide to finish it.

Frank

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 3:47 PM
Bruce, I kinda like that pedestal. It is unique. But then again, you should see some of the shirts I wear... :/

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2006, 5:49 PM
Bruce, I agree with you that if the pedestal were taller, it'd be okay, but at it's present height... loose the foot.

Ernie