PDA

View Full Version : Xmas in July...

Greg Koch
07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
When I ordered my table and miter saws, planer, DC unit and others, I had them sent to the company I retired from, as I still consult there on a weekly basis. They have truck ramps, storage space, a great warehouse gang and the drivers all know them. During the last Amazon sale, I "Cherry picked" a few of the sales, and ordered a few things I just wanted/needed.

My recent consulting schedule was such that I hadn't been there for a couple of weeks, and when I went today, there were a few boxes waiting for me. I unpacked them, brought them home and here is my haul....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Xmas1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Xmas1.jpg)

Dust plate for my TS, Cabinet/Furniture and Japanese joinery books, 31" Bessey K body clamps, Forrest WWII, Chopmaster blades, 5" dampener, 2 Delta 35-624 80T blades (Delta sent 2 freebies for buying my Delta TS last Spring), a left reading taple for the TS fence, and a set of 30 Woodline 1/2" router bits.

The WWII is the thin kerf, and so I exchanged my Tenryu full kerf Gold Medal 40T with the Forrest and dampener. The WWII seems a bit noisier, and the cut leaves a few more "splinters" on the ends where the blade exits, but I'm going to leave it on as my main blade and see how it works.

I have some more boxes to make for the kitchen, and will be doing some things with the router, including more DT joints and edge work, for fun and experience.

Jim Benante
07-06-2006, 1:02 AM
Greg,

Nice gloat! I use a thin kerf without the dampener and never have had a problem. I have do have a 3 hp (griz 1023) saw and have cut eastern hard maple, western maple, and canarywood, white oak, liptus all 8/4 and it cut like butter and very nice cuts. I have glue cuts from the table saw and they turned out great. Let me know if you try with and without and what results you get.

Jim

Greg Koch
07-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Hey neighbor...

Jim, my TS is only 1 1/2hp (bit more now on 220V) and I thought I'd see if there was any advangage over the standard 1/8", like my Tenryu and others. I'm cutting smaller cedar boards and MDF making boxes, jigs and dust control panels righ now, but will get into some bigger stuff later on. I'm interested in seeing what the ChopMaster will be like too as I get into building a green house later this Summer. I have a DeWalt DW703 to mount it into.

I've noticed that Western Tool has some decent prices sometimes. I need to get out there and check them out....and stop at Molbaks nursery!

Jim Benante
07-08-2006, 2:24 AM
Greg,

I am not a fan of the Western Tool in Woodinville. I want to support them, but just get a bad taste everytime I go there. Last time I was there it was empty except for me and they still weren't very helpful. I like Woodcraft in South Seattle, good people there. I guess I just believe in being treated well when I am spending money and would rather drive to Woodcraft and get treated well.

I told them I had a Grizzly table saw and they were pretty much had an attitude with me after that. Oh well.

My neighbor buys from them from time to time so maybe its just me.

Let me know how the dampener performs when you get into some hardwood. I am in the process of a big project right now also. I have torn out my front porch and decided to build a an enclosed storage area below the front entry and enclose the front entry as well. Here is a shot of my footer. First time pouring concrete for me. My neighbor helped out.

See post #11
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39075

Jim

Greg Koch
07-08-2006, 2:52 AM
Jim,

I was in the store only once briefly a long time ago. Was impressed with all the tools they had on the floor at the time, but didn't stay long. Too bad if they are always like you found them.

The Wookcraft and Rockler stores (S. Seattle and S. Center) are pretty neat. Long way for me too, but I consult at my old company on Wednesdays (Renton) so Rockler is close by...but that's dangerous...LOLOLOL! Rockler has a sidewalk sale on tomorrow...going? I'm not sure if it's local or all over. Good price on the Hitachi M12VC fixed/plunge base router kit...

Have you been to the exotic wood store off Willow's Road just WNW of Redmond?

Oh, and I hope you locked the door and pocketed the key.....LOLOL! Nice concrete work!

Greg

Alan DuBoff
07-08-2006, 5:01 AM
my TS is only 1 1/2hp (bit more now on 220V) and I thought I'd see if there was any advangage over the standard 1/8", like my Tenryu and others. I'm cutting smaller cedar boards and MDF making boxes, jigs and dust control panels righ now, but will get into some bigger stuff later on. I'm interested in seeing what the ChopMaster will be like too as I get into building a green house later this Summer. I have a DeWalt DW703 to mount it into.Greg, I have a DeWALT 708 SCMS which I've used to cut a massive amount of t&g, flooring, and other lumber with. I use a Chopmaster for all the good quality lumber, good blade (see my reply to MichaelH (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39308) for more details).

I feel your pain on the TS, and have been using a Ridgid 3612 which has a 1 1/2 HP motor. I was ripping a couple hundred bf of hard maple recentely, along with some hickory and purple heart. Even with 4/4 hickory, I need to be very patient. I finally realized that for the type of work that I intend to do, which will be to build a house, ultimately, the 1 1/2 HP wasn't gonna cut it.

So, I went out and got an old 5 HP 3 phase saw (http://www.softorchestra.com/woodworking/tools/ya-g89/) which should cut most anything I throw at it. I've stalled my Ridgid on several occasions, and while it calibrates just dandy, and really is a great little saw, it just can't stand up to the demand I am trying to place on it without patience. After I've been ripping lumber for a couple hours, patience is the last thing on my mind...:rolleyes: I realized that a bigger saw would allow me to cut down the time it takes to cut the lumber, provide a safer mechanism for cutting thick stock, and give me an opportunity to upgrade. I don't have my new (actually old;-) saw wired up yet, still working on that part. Still have my contractor's saw though...

Congrats on your goodies, always nice to get some new (or even old;-) toys.

Jim Benante
07-10-2006, 6:23 PM
Greg,

Western Tool has a large selecetion of machines. It's a good place to check things out.

Are you designing your own greenhouse or building from a kit?

I haven't been to the place on Willows Road yet. What's it like? I usually go to Compton Lumber or Crosscut Hardwoods. I was lucky last year and scored about 400 bf of Western maple. My neighbor bought 1,000 bf from a sawmill he has an account with for really cheap. I bought some and now I have lots of maple for projects.

I didn't make it to the Rockler sale. I need to spend my money on this porch project right now.

Jim