PDA

View Full Version : Best 3HP router??

Jerry Olexa
07-05-2006, 11:28 PM
As I get my new router table ready, I'm planning ahead and thinking what would be the best 3+ hp router to mount in it permanently. I currently have a PC 690 with 2 bases and a Makita 2 1/4 hp var speed w 2bases. My next project will likely include more raised panels etc so I'm looking for a heavier, more powerful router to handle that. I've heard the Milwaukee rates well, but I'd be curious what you guys think would be the best router in this class before I purchase. (Of course, I will then look for sales/deals:D :) ) Thanks in advance...

Don Baer
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
after see Sam Maloof work with one, my next router will e the Milwakee.If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me. It also has a uilt in lift which is a plus.

Jack Norfleet
07-05-2006, 11:37 PM
My wife ordered the Milwaukee for a late Father's day gift. Amazon is running a special where you get a free quarter sheet palm sander and they had a 10% off special on tools plus free shipping. I probably would have been just as happy with the PC but the deal for the Milwaukee was better for me.

Scott Thornton
07-05-2006, 11:41 PM
The old model Hitachi M12V has been excellent for me. I can't speak for the newer ugly one, but the older model is great!

Allen Bookout
07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Jerry,

Looks like that we are crossing paths a lot lately.

I don't know it it is the best or not but I have the Milwaukee 5625 and really like it. I wish that I had know a couple of days ago that you were in the market as I knew that Heavydutytools was going to sell about 25 of them for $198. They do that every so often but it seems like that it is months between those offers and you have to be sitting right there waiting or sign up for an email notification as they are gone in a matter of minutes a lot of the times. I should have bought one and held it for one of the Creekers but did not think of that.

Whatever you get, get a good one as it will have a good home in the new router table on wheels that you are building.

Allen

Bruce Benjamin
07-06-2006, 2:46 AM
Hi Jerry. For what it's worth, the August '06 issue of Workbench Magazine reviewed 10 3+ HP routers for both freehand and table use. Overall they seemed to have no problem picking the Bosch 1619EVS router as the best for either table or handheld use. The finish order of the rest of the routers wasn't made too clear but they commented on each with the pros and cons. They said the Dewalt DW625 was, "Outdone only by the Bosch". Curiously, there was no Milwaukee router listed in the test. Not that I have any experience with them but I would've at least thought it would be included. They like the new Hitachi much better than the old one and I've heard good things about the old one. They didn't think much of the Festool OF 2000E. "Virtues: Good dust collection, well balanced, smooth running. Vices: Very expensive, awkward controls, poor depth-stop system. Verdict: A mixed bag of good and bad features which just won't do at this price." I quoted this particular one because I was so surprised at the results. I have no hands-on experience with any Festool products. The only other time I saw a Festool router in a test was in a magazine comparing the high HP routers and they deemed the Festool unsuitable for table use. On the various WW forums I've read a lot about the Festools being superior so these reviews were a surprise to me. I guess it depends on the test and who's performing it. Also, I think a lot depends on what features you value most in a router. For a lower priced router they really liked the Worx WT600K. There obviously were several others mentioned in this test so you might want to glance at a print issue of the magazine.

Regarding the issue of what someone values in a router, they put a lot of emphasis on the adjustability in the table. I would agree with this along with dust collection. My older Freud FT2000 has been bullet proof in my table and for the occasional freehand use. The adjustment could be a little easier if I removed the springs but that won't work for handheld use, obviously. Fine adjustment is as good as I could hope for. Nothing to it. The review didn't exactly rave about the updated Freud but I thought it was nearly identical mechanically to the older one. Yet they complained that the plunge lock was a problem when in the table. Unless they reversed the locked/unlocked position of the new one, all you do is unlock it, adjust it, and lock it again. How's that hard? They didn't like the kind that were normally locked unless you held down the spring-loaded lever because it was harder to adjust under the table. This isn't at all the case with my older Freud so maybe the magazine got it wrong.

I'm not in the market for a new router right now but if I was...based on the info they gave about the Bosch I'd at least have to give it a look. I love my Bosch jigsaw so I know they are capable of making a superb tool.

Bruce

J. Greg Jones
07-06-2006, 4:31 AM
Another vote for the Milwaukee 5625-outstanding router for use in a table. I have mine in a Woodpecker's PRL lift but as Don mentioned, the 5625 has a nice feature to adjust the height from above the table.

BTW, the August '06 issue Workbench Magazine review tested plunge routers and as Milwaukee does not make one, the Milwaukee was not included in the test.

Robert Mickley
07-06-2006, 4:32 AM
Don't let the looks of the Triton router scare you. I bought one last year for a dedicated router table and would by it again.

The thing I didn't like about the milwuki is you can drop it out of the base when you hit the quick release. I don't remeber the model number off the top of my head.

I had the Mil, the PC and the triton all in my hands at Hartville and went with the triton.

scott spencer
07-06-2006, 7:00 AM
Hi Jerry - I'll let you know in another couple of days! :D (...my 5625 is in transit from HDT).

The PC7518 had pretty much been the standard for table mounting until the 5625 came along with some additional features. It's gotten alot of top mag ratings and is recommended by Pat Warner. I was extremely impressed with the build quality of my smaller 5615 Milwaukee, but unfortunately had to sell it after I ordered the 5625.

Good luck with your decision.

Ed Labadie
07-06-2006, 7:10 AM
And another vote for the Milwaukee 5625.....No complaints here, good tool.

I do wish the Woodworking mags would quit slamming the Festool 2000E router for poor performance in a router table. It wasn't designed for it and it's not marketed for table use.

Ed

tod evans
07-06-2006, 7:21 AM
my vote goes to the big portercable.....02 tod

CPeter James
07-06-2006, 8:31 AM
I have the 5625 and really like the built in lift feature. It will run all day long with no problem. I would buy another if the need arose.

CPeter

Joe Spear
07-06-2006, 8:43 AM
I had a Bosch 1619 in my previous router table. I sold the table and router when I built a bigger table, in which I have a Milwaukee 5625. I have no complaints about either router. They both have plenty of power, and nothing has broken down on either of them.

pat warner
07-06-2006, 8:59 AM
SOme tips on selecting a router. (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)

Mike Kelly
07-06-2006, 9:11 AM
The guys on the ShopBot Forum are preferring the 3 1/2 HP Milwaukee over the PC. I use the PC and am happy with it, but I don't use it hours per day like these guys do. Most heard positive comment is that it is more quiet than the PC. It also needs a shim to fit the same mount that the PC does.

Lars Thomas
07-06-2006, 9:56 AM
I'm with Tod, it's tough to beat the durability of the big PCs (3518?)

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I have the big Triton & it lives in my shop built slot mortiser. I do not reccommend the Triton unless you get it for the show price of $190.00. It's not worth more than that.

PC, Milwaukee, and Hatichi, are great routers & have real collets. The Triton has a crummy coarse threaded thingie doohicky that they call a collet - but it's not really. The Triton has other failings but with the thing mounted in a permanent stationary machine they are not issues.

Mike Alagna
07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Here is another vote for the Hitachi, I have been using it for 3 years and I have made numerous raised panels (oak, poplar, cherry, maple and MDF) and it is great on all of it.

Ken Garlock
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Jerry, I bought the PC 7518 3-1/4 hp motor from Rockler. It fits exactly into my Woodpecker PRL. It will swing a large panel raising bit, and cut a panel in a single pass, including the backside rabbet.

Jerry Olexa
07-06-2006, 1:12 PM
Good info here. Thanks guys...Looks like lots of votes for the Milwaukee, PC et al. Tie breaker will prob come down to price (wow, Allen, sorry I missed that $198 deal on the MW @ heavydutytools.. I'm going to have to get on their email list). I like PC also. My old 690 has performed well over the years even w raised panels/several passes but time to step up. I'll continue to watch this thread before I pull the trigger. THANKS...

Matt Guyrd
07-06-2006, 1:48 PM
Jerry,

If it comes down to cost, you might consider the Hitachi M12V from Amazon, currently at $159 and can usually be had cheaper with the frequent promotions. I just received my router yesterday ($114), so I cannot comment on it's abilities yet. Some say you get what you pay for, but I have heard a good many reviews for this tool. Something to consider at 3-1/4 hp. It has a nice set of accessories, including a 1/2-inch collet and 1/4-inch adapter, straight guide, bar holder, feed screw, wing bolts, template guide, wrench, straight bit, 1/4-inch chuck sleeve, template guide adapter, height adjustment knob, and lock springs.

It's not the prettiest, but if it's under a table...

Matt

Allen Bookout
07-06-2006, 1:56 PM
It's a good feeling when it almost doesn't matter which brand that you buy. Can hardly go wrong with that kind of situation.

Bruce Benjamin
07-06-2006, 3:07 PM
And another vote for the Milwaukee 5625.....No complaints here, good tool.

I do wish the Woodworking mags would quit slamming the Festool 2000E router for poor performance in a router table. It wasn't designed for it and it's not marketed for table use.

Ed

Ed, the article I quoted wasn't all about table routing. It was looking at use in both the table and free hand. In fact, the things they didn't like about the Festool were specific to freehand routing, not table routing. I'm guessing you're a Festool fan and nobody likes to see their favorite router do poorly in a comparison. But if you've actually used this Festool model and like it you shouldn't care what is said about it. It doesn't appear that there was any false information given. Just the opinions of the various testers. If your opinion is different then that's all that matters. Based on the details I read about it though, if I were in the market for a router in this category I wouldn't even consider the Festool no matter what the cost was. That shouldn't effect you though. The testers dislike for the Festool were based more on how it felt to them when using it and not based on empirical testing. If the controls don't feel awkward to you, if you don't have problems with the depth stop system and if you don't mind paying far more $$$ than you would for any of the other router then it's good for you. Keep in mind that the Festool wasn't the only router that didn't do well in this particular test. I was surprised to see it do as poorly as it did in this and another test but you can't always believe what you read, I guess.

Bruce

Bruce Page
07-06-2006, 3:59 PM
Jerry, I have a 2hp PC-8529 in my table. I don’t do a lot of raised panels but it easily handled some BE maple a while back. I also have a 3¼hp PC-7539 but felt that it was too darn heavy to leave in the table long term.

glenn bradley
07-06-2006, 4:22 PM
Mil 6525 here. Wish I'd asked about mounting it to the plate. Being kinda anal I mounted it with total attention to the tension release lever's position. This put the hole for the above the table adjustment in line left to right. CPeter pointed out that had I rotated the mounting 45 degrees I would have been able to adjust the height with the fence and guard in place and still had reasonable access to the tension lever. This has not proven to be an issue but, if I do it again, I'll alter the mount a bit to allow this function. As to performance; I'm not sure the router even knows it's plowing through raised panel door profiles . . . it doesn't seem to notice. Pics here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38918

P.s. A lot of Creekers LOVE their M12V's, I've gotta believe it's a fine unit.

Dennis McDonaugh
07-06-2006, 4:36 PM
I'd buy the milwaukee if price wasn't part of the equation, but since it is the hitachi is an excellent value. It has a couple of nagging "features" that can be lived with. It won't take a large bit until you modify the opening by removing the ears which stick out and it doesn't come with a 1/4" collet, but a 1/4" adapter that slilps into the 1/2 collet. You can live with both and sometimes amazon has it for $149 which is half the price of the milwaukee.

Vaughn McMillan
07-06-2006, 5:03 PM
Another vote for the M12V. I got mine for somewhere around $115 to $120 from Amazon (on sale), because price was an issue. (It replaced my workhorse P-C 690.) I immediately fitted the M12V with a Router Raizer and put it in my router table, so I have no experience with it except fo table use. I know there are better router lifts available, but I can't imagine a router costing more would do a comparably better job.

- Vaughn

Bob Noles
07-06-2006, 5:44 PM
For my over 3 HP router, I had to opt for the M12V also. Just arrived today as a matter of fact from Amazon and it is a real beast for the bucks.

Jerry Olexa
07-06-2006, 5:47 PM
Jerry, I have a 2hp PC-8529 in my table. I don’t do a lot of raised panels but it easily handled some BE maple a while back. I also have a 3¼hp PC-7539 but felt that it was too darn heavy to leave in the table long term.

Bruce: I agree. I want the power of the 3HP but am concerned about that weight (about 14-16 lbs I think) hanging continually on the plate. What do you guys think about this weight issue??:confused:

scott spencer
07-06-2006, 5:53 PM
Bruce: I agree. I want the power of the 3HP but am concerned about that weight (about 14-16 lbs I think) hanging continually on the plate. What do you guys think about this weight issue??:confused:I had my Freud FT-2000 hanging in the table for at least 2 years in thick lexan without issue. My current router is mounted to a phenolic insert. The material it's mounted to and the dimensions will be a factor.

Scott Thornton
07-06-2006, 6:47 PM
In regards to the weight...I have had my Hitach M12V in the router table now for about 4 years (shame shame). I use a homemade table top, 1 inch thick MDF with a Formica top.

The key is the plate that the router is mounted on...it's from Woodhaven, www.woodhaven.com, it's a black phenolic plate. It's awesome, perfectly flat, no issues...highly recommended, think it was about $40 with the levelers included, I would recommend the levelers as well.

I also have a Bosch 1617 on a Woodhaven plate, but that is one of their early plastic ones, which I believe would be a problem if I left it suspended in a table for extended periods...

HTH.

Allen Bookout
07-06-2006, 7:01 PM
I have my Milwaukee 5625 mounted to a Woodpeckers aluminum plate that was predrilled for it. A bit expensive but highly recommended. Very strong and well machined. The twistlock rings work great.

When thinking about the cost, you may wear out your router and have to buy another one but you will have the plate forever. Might as well get a good one.

tod evans
07-06-2006, 7:29 PM
jerry, here`s a thought; why are most heavy duty lifts designed to fit the big portercable and bushed out for others? .02 tod

CPeter James
07-06-2006, 7:38 PM
Here is mine mounted in my table saw extension. Note the location on the holes and the height adjustment hole between the two screws. The next time I would go for a metal plate rather than the plastic.

http://home.metrocast.net/~cpjvkj/5625router.jpg

CPeter

Bruce Page
07-06-2006, 7:39 PM
Bruce: I agree. I want the power of the 3HP but am concerned about that weight (about 14-16 lbs I think) hanging continually on the plate. What do you guys think about this weight issue??:confused:
Jerry, my plate is a homemade 6061 T-6 aluminum 3/8 thick plate so I’m not worried about it too much. I worry about my Woodhaven table. Even though it’s over 1” thick and I reinforced the heck out of it, it’s still just MDF. 14-16 lbs is a lot for MDF long term. That’s also why I’m a proponent of the little 5oz Router Raizer over the fancy lifts that are out there. Just my opinion.

Michael Pfau
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
The PC 7518, has my vote. All other 3 hp routers over the last few years have been modeled after it. I have never been able to slow it down, and has done me well in the table.

M. A. Espinoza
07-07-2006, 12:31 AM
You might try the HeavyDutyTools site to see if the 5625 is still available for 198. You have to use code "5625".

Another site reported is still available this afternoon.

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2006, 10:27 AM
THANKS to all again for your info and tips!!Yesterday, Scott, Charlie and Allan "nudged" me that the deal on the 5625 might still be available. I tried late afternoon yesterday, they accepted and the 5625 is on its way to me $198 shipped !! Terrific price on a great router..That great price made the decision easy. Now I'll need to get a strong plate to hold that bad boy..:D :) Really guys, I appreciate your help and advice on this!! Now I've got to keep my fingers out of the way of that swirling monster:) Thanks again!!