PDA

View Full Version : 18th Century Spice Box

Ben Hobbs
07-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Fellow Woodworkers...

Thought I would formally introduce myself. I have been a cabinetmaker full time since 1982, and currently we hold classes throughout the year with many various projects, focusing on Queen Anne and Chippendale styles. I have made a few posts but have yet to post any of my work.

The pictures show a spice box completed as a class in May of this year that I held with several students.

I developed the plans by some examples of Spice boxes in the 18th century, and took the details of the ones I liked.

The material is local Northeastern NC walnut and poplar, finished with orange shellac.

Would love to see anybody's comments or questions. I will probably post more class projects at a later date.

Ben Hobbs
Perquimans County, NC

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Nice work. Bet the students loved the class if they could leave with something like this. What joints did you use for the dividers? And how much is done with power tools and how much by hand?

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Wow, that is stunning. Nice work and welcome to SMC. Can't wait to see more of our fine craftsmanship!

Corey

Von Bickley
07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Great work Ben:) :) :)

Dan Oliphant
07-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Welcome Ben,
Great looking piece, sure would like to see more pics of the spice box. Sure looks like you nailed the finish!!

Jerry Olexa
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Nice work. I agree, nice finish..What is that finish schedule you used??

larry merlau
07-06-2006, 7:38 AM
and we have heard of your work threw your son! maybe someday i can get down your way to learn something. what was the overall dimensions of that piece. in the old times was it intended to be on the floor or on a counter? was the orange shellac that you used dewaxed? very intersting peice and welcom to the creek looking forward to seeing more of your work and knowledge.

Rich Stevens
07-06-2006, 9:15 AM
Ben,

Congratulations on such a fine piece of furniture. I have for a long time wanted to build one - in fact I have just begun my own chest using some very old West Australian Jarrah planks I acquired from a veneer slicing plant some time back. [The planks in question are a by product of the veneer slicing process where the last 7/8" or so of each flitch is discarded.]

While I have a rough idea of the design, I still have to sort out many of the finer design details. Yours has some pleasant proportions and details.

One question though, was there a reason why you chose to have the fielding on the panel on the inside of the door rather than outside?

Rich

Karl Laustrup
07-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Would love to see anybody's comments or questions. I will probably post more class projects at a later date.

Ben Hobbs
Perquimans County, NC

Comments: Wonderful piece of furniture Ben.

I certainly hope you'll post more of your, or your class's work in the very near future. Never get tired of beautiful woodworking.

Karl

Cecil Arnold
07-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Welcome. A really beautiful piece, hope you post more.

Bob Childress
07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
. . . Ben, and welcome to the Creek! Would love to see more of your work. And to learn from your experience!

Ernie Hobbs
07-06-2006, 11:45 AM
It's about time you started posting some pictures of your stuff.

Just to give folks a taste of the kind of things that your students can make, I've attached a few photos of the pieces that your classes have made over the years.

Ernie Hobbs
07-06-2006, 11:47 AM
a few more

lou sansone
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
very nice work, love the period that your working in.

keep up the good work
lou

Ernie Hobbs
07-06-2006, 12:01 PM
there's more...

Calvin Hobbs
07-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Nice to see your work posted, Dad.

In effect your work has already been associated with the creek because what little I can do in the shop was all learned from you.

Wish we could work directly together more often.

Cal

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Ben..........First Welcome to the Creek! Second.......It sure looks like a lot of us could learn a lot from you and one of your classes! Third.....You must have done a good job as a father! Your sons have talked about you here at the Creek! Congrats!

Calvin Hobbs
07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Ben,

Have you had a chance to take photos of the timber frame that you built for the Newbold-White house? I think the forum members would enjoy seeing it.

Cal

Ernie Hobbs
07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Calvin:

As requested- see attached pictures. Dad, please provide details. Also attached is a picture of the Newbold-White house for reference.

Ernie Hobbs
07-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Ben,

Have you had a chance to take photos of the timber frame that you built for the Newbold-White house? I think the forum members would enjoy seeing it.

Cal

Since when have you been calling Dad "Ben"?

lou sansone
07-11-2006, 7:51 AM
gee I am confused with all the hobbs, but I have to say that I like a number of the pieces. the lowboy is nice and I see that you guys did it right with the edge banding on the skirt. This is the area that a lot of guys chince on because it is difficult to do. Nice touch.

on a seperate note, and please don't take offence, but the door on the spice cabinet is a flat field. Why ? I have never seen a chester county spice chest with a flat frame and panel construction like that. it that something you have an actual example from or just a relaxed interpertation of the piece

thanks lou

rick fulton
07-11-2006, 8:57 AM
Ben -

I just followed the link in your profile to your class web site. It looks like a wonderful excuse to spend a week in NC. I’m certain the class is hard work to crank out the pieces your students do in one week. But the location, setting, tools, materials, etc look as inviting as any vacation spot I've ever been to.

Do you get many couples signing up for your classes? It seems like that would be common given the atmosphere of the area.

Thanks for sharing.
rick

Jim Becker
07-11-2006, 9:59 AM
That's a lovely piece, Ben! And the rest of the work displayed in this thread is great! Welcome to SMC...I'm looking forward to learning from you.

Bill Simmeth
07-11-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread is awesome! The work displayed is fantastic and has prompted me to bookmark the school's website. In addition, I think it's wonderful to see a Dad in Carolina, and two sons -- one in Alabama and one in Missouri -- interact this way. The internet (and a family) at its best! Congrats on all counts.

tod evans
07-11-2006, 10:41 AM
This thread is awesome! The work displayed is fantastic and has prompted me to bookmark the school's website. In addition, I think it's wonderful to see a Dad in Carolina, and two sons -- one in Alabama and one in Missouri -- interact this way. The internet (and a family) at its best! Congrats on all counts.

i agree wholeheartedly! nice to have the whole clan on here! tod

Ernie Hobbs
07-11-2006, 7:32 PM
on a separate note, and please don't take offense, but the door on the spice cabinet is a flat field. Why ? I have never seen a chester county spice chest with a flat frame and panel construction like that. it that something you have an actual example from or just a relaxed interpertation of the piece

thanks lou

I'll let Dad give you the explanation but, here are some close-ups of the inside of the door.

Ernie Hobbs
07-11-2006, 7:44 PM
gee I am confused with all the hobbs, but I have to say that I like a number of the pieces. the lowboy is nice and I see that you guys did it right with the edge banding on the skirt. This is the area that a lot of guys chince on because it is difficult to do. Nice touch.

thanks lou

better detail...

lou sansone
07-11-2006, 8:41 PM
I'll let Dad give you the explanation but, here are some close-ups of the inside of the door.

well,..... is it safe to assume that this was one of those " Oh my goodness, I should have not tried to assemble the door at 5 am " type of explanation ? :rolleyes: If so, I have one of those t shirts as well :)

lou

lou sansone
07-11-2006, 8:43 PM
better detail...

interesting detail. I have not see banding done that way, but I can tell you from personal experience that applied banding on a low boy ( william and mary style ) is a real challange, This might be another way to skin that cat.

lou

Mark Rios
07-11-2006, 8:48 PM
MAAAAAANNNNNNN................you guys must be pretty good.

(Gulp!) :eek:

Roger Myers
07-11-2006, 9:59 PM

on a seperate note, and please don't take offence, but the door on the spice cabinet is a flat field. Why ? I have never seen a chester county spice chest with a flat frame and panel construction like that. it that something you have an actual example from or just a relaxed interpertation of the piece

thanks lou

To all the Hobbs.... GREAT Work!! I love the period pieces!

To Lou... The picture of the inside of the door certainly adds another dimension to the question you asked, that only Ben can answer...however, I have seen a flat field on a chester county box, and it is noted in Griffiths book (page 77) on spice boxes... I've attached a scan of that page.
I really enjoy the chester countyy boxes and when I have a bit more time, a couple are on the project list..in the meantime, I get to read and study about them a lot..

Roger

Ben Hobbs
07-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for your comments. The spice chest is not a copy of any particular one but a combination of details that I liked. I also have to keep in mind that it needs to be substantially completed in 6 days. It measures 9 X 16 X 22. The flat, arched panels are from one in Antiques magazine a couple of years ago.

The small bead around the skirt is made with a scratch stock when possible and carved the rest of time. This was a very typical treatment in Northeastern NC in the 18th century.

Ben Hobbs
07-11-2006, 10:50 PM
The timber frame smokehouse is one that a group of guys lead by me built for the 1726 Newbold White house in Hertford, NC. It is made of cypress and is joined using mortises and tenons. We used reproduction nails from Tremont Nail Co after taking the zinc off by putting them in muriatic acid. Although I have moved 17 precivil war buildings to our site and have restored most of them, this is the first attempt at building one.

Michael Pfau
07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Welcome Ben! Great work. I have a love affair for that kind of spice box, and one is on my building list! Hope that you share more of your work.

lou sansone
07-12-2006, 8:32 AM
Thanks for your comments. The spice chest is not a copy of any particular one but a combination of details that I liked. I also have to keep in mind that it needs to be substantially completed in 6 days. It measures 9 X 16 X 22. The flat, arched panels are from one in Antiques magazine a couple of years ago.

The small bead around the skirt is made with a scratch stock when possible and carved the rest of time. This was a very typical treatment in Northeastern NC in the 18th century.

thanks ben and roger for the information. I have also built chester county spice boxes and they were quite challenging. I take it then Ben that the raised panel on the inside was in fact planed.

best wishes
Lou

Julio Navarro
07-12-2006, 8:45 AM
speaking as a newbie, I would love to see some pre assembly details of your joinery.

All your work is very impressive, Mr Hobbs and I would love to see some corner details, connection, etc., prior to assembly.