PDA

View Full Version : Need a internet tech

Steve Clardy
09-17-2003, 7:46 PM
To tell me and John whats up. The other day I was midway through posting a reply to one of John Milunas posts, and my mail dinger went off. So I stopped and opened my mail. [Netscape]. It was an ad from Krex Computers which I have bought computer parts from. Halfway down their email, there was part of John's post. Now, I've had some strange things happen surfing the net, but this has me curious, and John has visited with some of his buddies, and has them stumped.
So------- any ideas as to how this happened? Steve

Jason Roehl
09-17-2003, 7:54 PM
Best I can come up with, Steve, is that it was a glitch in the NSA's computers. Y'all know they read everything we do online, right? :D Watch out for those black helicopters...

Dennis Peacock
09-17-2003, 8:13 PM
Yup.......

1. It's Winders ain't it? ;-)

2. By the time the mail dinger applied the Windows 32 bit API to actuate the bell for your mail application, the other bits and bytes from the post fell over into the same memory segment as your mail application and most of the bits that were loaded into each memory register got lost during translation between the CPU and the actual video memory bank. Once the application was unloaded, the memory register emptied out and freed up all that was there and things got back to normal. Of course if your "bytes" got bit by the "bits", then the "bytes" barked out "words" about the "bits" so the "bytes" left town. :)

That should be enough jargon to make ones head spin. No real answer for ya though......just a "fluke".......

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-17-2003, 8:29 PM
Wierd, for sure! All I can say at this point is "That BYTES"! :D Couldn't resist! (Must be Jason rubbing off on me in the Chat Room!) ;)

John Miliunas
09-17-2003, 9:09 PM
Yeah, I know Steve is running Winders, but wasn't aware that his email app was Nutscrape. Hmmmm....That could explain a lot unto itself! :D It truly is weird, though. I've seen stuff left over on the display before, but to have it actually be saved in a foreign app is really, really odd. Like I told him, though, if it doesn't repeat itself, it was simply a real goofy glitch, one which I would have to revert back to *your* (Dennis P.) explanation on! :rolleyes: :cool:

Steve Clardy
09-17-2003, 9:32 PM
Just how long did you spend thinking that one up? Ha.
You and John must be some of the old Startrek [my favorite show] writers.
And Jason, do Gray copters flying over count? :D Steve

Ed Falis
09-17-2003, 10:07 PM
... 2. By the time the mail dinger applied the Windows 32 bit API to actuate the bell for your mail application, the other bits and bytes from the post fell over into the same memory segment as your mail application and most of the bits that were loaded into each memory register got lost during translation between the CPU and the actual video memory bank. Once the application was unloaded, the memory register emptied out and freed up all that was there and things got back to normal. Of course if your "bytes" got bit by the "bits", then the "bytes" barked out "words" about the "bits" so the "bytes" left town. :)....

Dennis, that sure sounded convincing for a load of malarkey ;-)

If you ever quit your day job, you might do very well indeed at software sales. (Trust me, I used to do tech support for those guys).

- Ed

Tom Sweeney
09-17-2003, 10:47 PM
trying to hack into your computer to steal all your secrets :p

Either that or those pesky computer gremlins :confused:

Bob Lasley
09-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Yup.......

1. It's Winders ain't it? ;-)

2. By the time the mail dinger applied the Windows 32 bit API to actuate the bell for your mail application, the other bits and bytes from the post fell over into the same memory segment as your mail application and most of the bits that were loaded into each memory register got lost during translation between the CPU and the actual video memory bank. Once the application was unloaded, the memory register emptied out and freed up all that was there and things got back to normal. Of course if your "bytes" got bit by the "bits", then the "bytes" barked out "words" about the "bits" so the "bytes" left town. :)

That should be enough jargon to make ones head spin. No real answer for ya though......just a "fluke".......

Dennis,

I think you better run that calf by again and maybe I'll have a loop ready this time!

Bob

Dennis Peacock
09-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Just how long did you spend thinking that one up? Ha.
You and John must be some of the old Startrek [my favorite show] writers.
And Jason, do Gray copters flying over count? :D Steve

Steve,

Only about 30 seconds......I do VERY LARGE scale computer work for a living....Ya know....stuff that has at LEAST 8 processors and a max of 128 processors with up to 1 Terabyte of Memory and up to 100 Terabytes of disk storage on a single machine.

John Miliunas
09-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Steve,

Only about 30 seconds......I do VERY LARGE scale computer work for a living....Ya know....stuff that has at LEAST 8 processors and a max of 128 processors with up to 1 Terabyte of Memory and up to 100 Terabytes of disk storage on a single machine.

Yeah, and that's just the one he uses for his desktop workstation! :D :cool:

Brad Schafer
09-18-2003, 3:23 PM
Steve,

Uhm - you ever been to Smitty's Barbeque? And does the name Toad Suck mean anything to you?

It probably took one of those Alphas (or Superdomes) to generate all that earlier gibberish. ;) :p :D

b (think i've been there)

Dennis Peacock
09-18-2003, 4:19 PM
Uhm - you ever been to Smitty's Barbeque? And does the name Toad Suck mean anything to you?

It probably took one of those Alphas (or Superdomes) to generate all that earlier gibberish. ;) :p :D

b (think i've been there)

Yup......I live in Conway where the anual event of Toad Suck Daze is held and about 140,000 from all over the globe come just for that celebration. I actually live closer to Pickles Gap, but still have a Conway address. I have eaten at Smitty's several times and have eaten their extremely HOT BBQ sauce on the BBQ. Really like the hot stuff.!!!

So when have you been to Conway?

Brad Schafer
09-22-2003, 4:03 PM
Yup......I live in Conway where the anual event of Toad Suck Daze is held and about 140,000 from all over the globe come just for that celebration. I actually live closer to Pickles Gap, but still have a Conway address. I have eaten at Smitty's several times and have eaten their extremely HOT BBQ sauce on the BBQ. Really like the hot stuff.!!!

So when have you been to Conway?

i did some consulting work in mid 99 for [a large midwest-based retailer] who was doing financial business with [a large Conway-based financial repository organization]. we spent a week in the Conway area. Smitty's rocked (ditto on the hot sauce); we drove thru Pickles Gap and actually picked up a couple of Toad Suck souvenirs (we were a week or so early).

wish i could remember the names of the guys i worked with; everybody was great. one guy gave me a ride in his (recently rebuilt) 69 Mustang (429). that thing flat FLEW.

b