PDA

View Full Version : More Bowls and a Gloat

Jerry Vander Till
07-05-2006, 8:55 PM
What a great weekend. I finished 3 more bowls and had another that decided to launch:eek:

The first bowl is maple with lots of interesting things happening. It's 5 3/4" by 3/4".

The second bowl is mahogany, and like Lee, I followed Horst's lead. It measures 6" by 1 1/4". I lost the curve on the bottom a little bit. The front edge shows a mark where I dropped it. Oops!

The third "bowl" is more like a plate. It's Cherry and measures 7 1/4" by 3/4". And yes, I dropped this one, too. I gotta work on that.

More in the next post...

Jerry Vander Till
07-05-2006, 9:03 PM
Now for the gloat. I picked this up over the weekend and wow, what a difference. The bowls and plate above were finished in blo and Beall buffed.

Oh, and I did a couple of cigar pens, too. One is birdseye maple and the other is mystery wood. They are finished with blo, wipe on poly, and wax.

Did I mention it was a great weekend?

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 9:58 PM
Sounds like a terrific weekend. Love the maple bowl - great grain pattern. Nice job on the hollow form - Horst has really inspired a lot of people. One of these days I hope to get the Beall system. Have use one and love it.

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Way to go Jerry. Those are absolutely terrific! That maple is stunning and the mahogany is nothing to sneeze at! Awesome stuff. Great looking cigars as well and jeesh what a jam packed post. Congrats on the buffing gear.

Corey

Tom Sherman
07-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Kudos Jerry quite a weekend you had there nice looking bowls, platter and pens. Good gloat on the buffing system too.

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Great gloat. Beautiful bowls, platter and pens. Nice job.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 3:14 AM
Astounding, Jerry, absolutely astounding. Lovely work, and great gloat. Have fun with that buffing system!

Mark Cothren
07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Very nice work, Jerry! I really like the wood and the work.

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2006, 5:07 PM
Nice gloat Jerry and some good looking work. You've been busy.
Just curious... Is that some tear-out that didn't get sanded in the first pic?

Ernie

Mike Vickery
07-06-2006, 5:57 PM
Nice looking stuff. The mystery wood pen looks like Wenge to me, but hard to tell from the picture.

Jerry Vander Till
07-06-2006, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the nice words, everyone. Like I said earlier, it was a fun weekend.

Ernie, yea it's some tearout but I chickened out trying to get the last of it out because it was getting thin and the vision of my first bowl, that I sanded completely through, was still fresh in my mind.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Some very good turning Jerry! I like them all!

Keith Burns
07-07-2006, 8:52 AM
Jerry, great job on all of the pireces:) :) I can see you did have a great weekend:)

Frank Chaffee
07-07-2006, 1:51 PM
Fantastic Jerry!
Your turnings earn you a place alongside Lee and Horst.

Frank