PDA

View Full Version : shipping a gift

larry merlau
07-05-2006, 7:29 PM
can anyone give me an idea of how to ship a cedar chest to washington state? from what i have done with smaller items it seems that it is to big to ship ups or fed x.. any suggestions and approximate cost figures--the chest would be aproximatly 20" deep 24" tall and 42" long. the weight would be with crating approx 150lbs. thanks for the help. and no i wont be using SMC crating company, there idea of a direct route leaves alot to be desired:D :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2006, 7:31 PM
Fedex Ground Heavy Weight....We ship 200-300 lb. packages everyday....I don't have a clue what it costs. Try a national trucking company.

Keith July
07-05-2006, 8:09 PM
Hey Larry,
It may be easier to just buy an airline ticket.:D You might get hungry traveling in that cedar chest.
Keith

Don Baer
07-05-2006, 8:18 PM
UPS Ground from Delton MI to Seattle WA $111.76. I am sure Fed Ex would be comparable.

larry merlau
07-05-2006, 9:14 PM
hey keith i had already planned extra room and weight for the foods needed to make the trip.

thanks, don for the quick reply. sounds doable at that rate.

Jim Becker
07-05-2006, 9:39 PM
Larry, don't forget you'll really want to "crate" something like this to insure it's protected along the way.

Steve Clardy
07-05-2006, 9:40 PM
Currently lost over greenland or idaho at the moment, but hopefully will get straightened out and maybe I can arrange to pick up the chest for you larry.

Dave Malen
07-05-2006, 9:42 PM
Larry,
BTW, Fine woodworking has some good tips on crating a piece of furniture in this month's magazine.

Dave

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I shipped a tea table from Cleveland to Sacramento a couple of years ago for my son's wedding present. I made a crated out of 1/2" plywood and 2x4's. Cost about $300 using FEDEX ground freight.

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I shipped a tea table from Cleveland to Sacramento a couple of years ago for my son's wedding present. I made a crated out of 1/2" plywood and 2x4's. Cost about $300 using FEDEX ground freight. Remember, it will have a rough ride, so put lots of padding around it inside the crate.

larry merlau
07-06-2006, 7:14 AM
Currently lost over greenland or idaho at the moment, but hopefully will get straightened out and maybe I can arrange to pick up the chest for you larry.

thanks for the offer steve but i dont want you to have to go out of your way. both greenland and idaho have very cold winters. so i would suggest you change your course. and besides i cant afford air mail rates let alone the food bill that would also be an added expense i have heard of your cookie appeitite.

Steve Clardy
07-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Yea. The kids used to call me Cookie Monster #2

Steve Ash
07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds like a nice road trip to me Larry, how many trout streams could we find along the way...course I don't have a fly rod, just some old chicken wire and a spear. We could pick up some Old Style for Ken since we'd be heading that way. Maybe we could get Keith to go along too for our amusement....I'd get tired of being the one getting picked on all that time.

Charlie Plesums
07-06-2006, 4:25 PM
Check out Craters and Freighters - they have a very good reputation. I haven't used them personally, but have talked to people who have been very pleased.

The estimator on their web site gives prices about twice as much as they give in person... use the web site only to contact the closest rep. www.cratersandfreighters.com (http://www.cratersandfreighters.com)

larry merlau
07-06-2006, 6:05 PM
boo hooo steve, i dont think your to far behind, you have gotten into my nickers some to ya know, it must have been that red thing you got in wisconsin that made yu change yur ways some. i really did do i fine job of modeling it. HUH:)

thanks charlie i will check that out as well and as for padding jim, i can stuff keith in around it to keep it safe during the trip

William Daly
07-06-2006, 6:23 PM
If the dimensions and/or the weight prevents you from using some carriers like UPS Ground, you mmight try shipping the lid or top of teh box in a second box and the base in another box.

Have the receipient reattach the top to the bottom via the hinges.

I bought some large antique tools from the northeast and I had to have the seller make a crate and ship it UPS Ground.

You can get that OSB board at Home Depot and use 2 by 3's to make the crate. Just make sure you use a lot of padding. Leave 2by 3's on teh bottom, so sopmeone can get thgeir hand underneath to lift iit up.

Call UPS, FedEx or Roadway for allowable dimensions and weights.

glenn bradley
07-06-2006, 9:34 PM
Have any freinds that work at a distribution center / warehouse. LOML ships tech-crap all over the world and we have had drivers who were passing through do a drop for us for beers and a few bucks.