PDA

View Full Version : Progress Update #4

Kenneth George
07-05-2006, 6:49 PM
Well here we go again. I started working on getting the legs shaped and the sliding dovetails done. Yesterday I spent the whole day just making the fixture for cutting the slots in the spindle. Pretty slow going but I am pretty particular about things so I take a lot of time and check and double check everything. The way I figure it I got one shot in making this right else I start over with a new spindle and it does not help that I have never made a sliding dovetail in my life! I attempted to replicate a fixture that I had seen in Fine Woodworking magazine but I decided to make some modifications to it as if you have ever tried making something from that magazine they leave quite a bit to the imagination. Also I ran into issues with the directions for making sliding dovetails since with all the router bits I have I do not own the 11 degree dovetail nor the 7/16” strait so I had to improvise. Anyhow I got the dovetails done and they look pretty good, could be a bit better maybe but I think they will be ok. Here is a view from the bottom;

http://theturnersshop.com/images/tilttable/07-05-06/DSCF1901.jpg

The fit is not bad at all and it takes a bit of effort to get the legs in. I then shaped the legs and fitted them in. Here is a picture of the legs installed. I kind of got crooked with the camera when I took this one. I left the legs cut to where they extend between a 16th and an 8th of an inch from the bottom of the spindle so that I can finish size them by hand. I have found taking wood off is easy but putting it back on sucks.

http://theturnersshop.com/images/tilttable/07-05-06/DSCF1900.jpg

The next step is to shape the legs to the final form. As I said I have no plans so these legs came from a drawing I did on the computer but I think so far they are ok. I know this is not really turning at this point but since the table is 85% turned I figured I would continue on with the posts.

Thanks for taking the time to look and tell me what you think.

Ken

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2006, 7:09 PM
Nice job Ken. It should be beautiful when done. Keep'em coming.

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice fit on the dovetails. Looks like you flattened a section of the post for the dovetails. The only time I have done this (many years ago), I did not have any dovetail bits or fixtures, so I did it by hand and fitted to the legs to the rounded post. It was time consuming, but fun. Waiting for more pictures.

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Wow, that is just terrific Ken! I can't wait to see if finished. Sure looking pretty spectacular now!

Corey

Tom Sherman
07-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Looking very good Ken coming along nicely.

Jerry Olexa
07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Nice work!!! Love those dovetails. Want to do that someday...

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 3:17 AM
Looking great, Ken! I really look forward to more installments.

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2006, 4:41 PM
That's coming along real nice Ken.

Ernie

Von Bickley
07-06-2006, 9:48 PM
Ken,
Great looking table. That style of table (pedestal / candle stand) is one of my favorites. Gives you a chance to do round work and flat work on the same project.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Excellent job Ken! Keep the photos coming!