PDA

View Full Version : 2nd NE

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2006, 6:43 PM
Here's my 2nd NE. It's a little piece peach given to me by Raymond Overman. I posted it earlier as it had ring shank..shake?....After being DNAd it had a split that almost went all the way around it. After talking with Raymond I decided.....I wear a full face shield....let's see if it can be saved. So.....South Carolina Peach....6 3/4" by 6 1/4" by 2 1/2"...DNAd, dried......finished with BLO, dewaxed shellac and Beal buffed. In the second image Bottoms Up...the large dark line is the crack sealed with epoxy and instant coffee (Folgers)......the 3rd photo....the two pieces of peach Raymond sent me....finished......my first NEs. Thanks Raymond...the 2 little pieces of peach both have a lot of character! BTW....My MIL latched onto the this 2nd one...it's headed to Illinois.

Frank Chaffee
07-05-2006, 6:59 PM
Excellent Ken,
Ring shank or epoxy, you nailed that shake very nicely!

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2006, 7:08 PM
Beautiful Ken. You did a outstanding job on them. The epoxy cocktail works pretty good. I have some cherry coming to do my first NE.

Keith Burns
07-05-2006, 8:03 PM
Outstanding Ken, absolutely stunning pair:) :) Great job:)

Raymond Overman
07-05-2006, 8:03 PM
Nice job Ken. The shake in that was nasty. It's kind of a toss up whether you're going to find it or not when you have 25+ year old peach trees.

You did a good job of saving it. Nice forms on both pieces.

You've got to keep the MIL happy. This looks like as good a way as any. :)

Barry Stratton
07-05-2006, 8:31 PM
Stunning Ken, just beautiful!!!!!

And, uh.....you suggested separate categories for newbies because...............you wanted to try and win them both?:confused:

Dick Parr
07-05-2006, 8:32 PM
Great job Ken, both of those look great but I really like this last one.

Lee DeRaud
07-05-2006, 8:41 PM
Stunning Ken, just beautiful!!!!!

And, uh.....you suggested separate categories for newbies because...............you wanted to try and win them both?:confused:My thoughts exactly...this is going into the contest, isn't it?

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
I love the color and grain of the wood and you did a great job of saving it. Keep it up.

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2006, 10:05 PM
And littel peaches they are Ken! Nice work, can't ask for any better than that!

corey

Andy Hoyt
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Yup. That bowl's got Moxie!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 3:09 AM
I'm glad to see that the ring shake could be saved, Ken. That's a very nice looking bowl. Keep it coming!

Glenn Hodges
07-06-2006, 6:28 AM
Ken, that is a beauty.

Ed Scolforo
07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Ken, Beautiful work on both!
Ed

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! I took those 2 bowls along with another recent one and my last lidded box to a hospital with me last night. I showed them to an MR technologist as she was getting ready to leave and I was getting ready to load some new software. She and her husband live on a ranch about 20 miles from town. She called when she got home. She put her hubby on the phone. He wanted to know if he sent some air dried english walnut and some apricot to town with her........Would I turn a bowl for wood? I've got to pick up the english walnut and apricot today!:)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
How did I miss this thread?

GREAT work Ken, those are really nice, you are getting me thinking about trying some again!

Cheers!:)

Mark Cothren
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Great looking bowls, Ken!

Tom Sherman
07-06-2006, 1:10 PM
Ken those bowls are looking good. Great save.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 3:20 PM
Congratulations on the score, Ken! Isn't the barter system just wonderful? :)

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2006, 5:32 PM
Wow Ken, you've bumped it up about seventeen notches haven't you? Those look great. Nice save, but do be careful with those with the wind shake.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
07-06-2006, 8:39 PM
Years ago as a kid I can remember sitting at a light in the ole Hot Rod. A dirty, rust ridden, dented, hand brush painted plymouth pulled up next to us and when the light changed it blew us away...a sleeper. That's what I feel like when you turn a bowl that you haven't turned before. As you blow us away I can imagine the little grin that probably isn't but should be on your face. Just in case this didn't come out right it is a BIG compliment! Great Job!:D

John Miliunas
07-06-2006, 9:16 PM
Dooooooooooooooooooood!!!! Man, Ken, you sure do catch on quickly! :) That's flat-out gorgeous! Keep up the great work, my friend. :) :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-06-2006, 9:22 PM
Super job, Ken. I always like it when you get an surprise hole. It adds character to the piece.

Bruce

Steve Ash
07-06-2006, 9:31 PM
Ken, Saweeet!!! Just love those NE bowls.

Jerry Vander Till
07-06-2006, 9:33 PM
Ken,
Weren't you asking for a novice class for the Au Natural Challenge? You must have been asking for my benefit because you are definitely past the novice class with this one.

Keep it up!

Karl Laustrup
07-07-2006, 7:34 AM
WOW! That is a way kewel bowl Ken. :cool: You are doing fantastic work.

Now I have a couple of questions. How's the shop coming along? :confused: Any closer to being finished? :confused: Just curious. :D Is the lawn getting mowed? Just wondering. :D

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2006, 8:58 AM
Karl...........I think you need to relocate that new house a little farther away from Tyler!:D

Ron Ainge
07-07-2006, 1:18 PM
Ken

you have come a long way since the bomb hit you. I have been watching several of you new turners progress and I am impressed with the level that several you have reached. Your work is getting to the point that you cannot be called a novice any longer. I have never turner peach but I turned some apricot and I can tell you that it will do strange things to you. It will start moving as soon as you start to turn it. I love the fruit wood so have a good time with it. Great work!!!

Dennis Peacock
07-07-2006, 4:43 PM
Very, very good there Ken.!!!!! Most excellent on the NE's. You're doing a great job and you can see that your skills and confidence are building rather nicely. Congrats on some nice NE's..!!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2006, 12:10 AM
I just finished mowing the yard. I had the dishes done up earlier but mowed the lawn after fixing my own supper. I'll go do the dishes now Karl......Did my wife talk to you before she went to visit her MOM? Is this a conspiracy?:confused: :eek: :D

Jim Ketron
07-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Nice Job Ken!
Great looking NE Bowl!