PDA

View Full Version : Socket Chisels

George Sanders
07-05-2006, 9:36 AM
I have been acquiring long socket chisels and I just cut my first practice dovetail joint in scrap 3/4 red oak. I sure need more practice!!! I was however, delighted when the pieces mated together; allbeit poorly. I am also new to turning and had to turn some handles. Some of them fit better than others. Both of these activities seem to be more of an art form than an acquired skill.
Time + Practice (SHOULD) = Skill

harry strasil
07-05-2006, 9:44 AM
not bad for the first time, practice practice practice, it gets easier.

Dave Anderson NH
07-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi George

We all have to start somewhere and on your first attempt it's not the quality that counts. What is important is that you learned things and that you actually took the plunge.

I would suggest that you look around at various handle styles and shapes and try out as many as possible to find one or several that feel comfortable in your hand. Then go ahead and work on getting a good fit. Remember that often handle sizes will vary with the size of the chisel, even within sets.

When trying to learn cutting dovetails, practice, practice, practice. My only suggestion is to choose one method and then stick with it to gain the necessary proficiency. Later on down the road you can try out another method or two, but right now the goal is to improve and develop some muscle memory.

James Carmichael
07-05-2006, 1:09 PM
Congrats, George. I still haven't tried HCDTs.

I hear ya on the handles. I'm still a newbie WW and Neander, and started with current production Marples bench chisels. Then I stumbled across a 3/8" Greenlee at a pawn shop ($1), whose handle resembles the leftmost chisel in your picture. The Marples now feel like a 2x4 in my hand.

Those pre WWII craftsmen who made their living with hand tools sure knew ergonomics.

James Mittlefehldt
07-05-2006, 3:15 PM
The first dovetails I did were a lot worse than that so I wouldn't be too discouraged. It's like playing pool, easy to do the basics but you need to practise to get good at it, not sure I have arrived there yet but working on it.

Bruce Branson
07-05-2006, 5:57 PM
I made my first handles last week with a 1 1/4" dowel and 3/4" water pipe.I cut the tenon on the table saw and shaped them with a spokeshave.I am sure they will get better with practice.

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/3027/supershearfiles8in1rl.jpg

harry strasil
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
A little trick I use for making socket chisel handles is to take a 1/4 sheet of printer paper, roll it into a cone starting at one corner, clip the end off square and stick it down into the socket and let it expand to the size of the socket. Stuff some cotton down inside with a short dowel to make it hold its shape then tape around the paper at the top of the socket and the top of the cone so it will hold that form. Remove the form and use it as a guide for forming the socket on the handle.

Play Dough can also be used to hold the form.

my2¢ tip

George Sanders
07-07-2006, 6:14 AM
Thanks Harry , I'll try that.