PDA

View Full Version : Jointer, Bandsaw, planer, which brand to buy?

Thomas Cherry
07-05-2006, 9:16 AM
I've been successfully building solidbody electric guitar with an assortment of $99 Ryobi tools. For the price they have performed admirably, but it's time to get serious so I'm upgrading, and I would welcome all tips, advice, suggestions, and stories, to help me choose. Of course money is always a factor, I'd rather spend extra $$$ if it saves me any headaches later on.

I'm in the market for a 14-18" bandsaw, a jointer, possibly a planer and/or a thickness sander.

Home Depot caries Rigid tools, Woodcraft carries Jet, Rikon, & Delta, there's also Grizzly........which to choose?

Thanks

Frank Fusco
07-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Comparing features, price for value. You will probably end up with Grizzly for the bandsaw, planer and sander. Jointer might be another. From OK City, it would be worth your while to drive to Springfield, MO to look at the Griz stuff in person and haul back yourself. Also, you could go into their scratch and dent room and maybe save some big bucks.

tod evans
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
thomas, the amount of cash you`re willing to drop will be the determining factor as to what quality of tools you come home with. well that or you could provide sweat equity and rehab ol` iron..
do you have a budget? and are you willing to rehab older stuff? it`ll be much easier to offer advice if we`re given some constraints.....02 tod

Mark Pruitt
07-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Ditto the Grizzly suggestion. Check out grizzly.com for ideas.

Larry Fox
07-05-2006, 11:05 AM
I would look in the used market for the jointer and bandsaw. If you are looking for a "lunchbox" planer, I would be inclined to look new for that. If you are looking at a floor model, I would look used for that as well. I have found that, if you are patient, you can always find a decent deal on great gear by hooking up with someone one step ahead of you on the upgrade curve. When you reach the same point on the upgrade curve you will likely be able to get most of what you originally paid for it back out because the depreciation was pretty much already taken by the time you got it.

An example, I bought my first jointer that way. I got a Jet 6" for $325 and used it for a few months. I then found a great deal on a 8" DJ-20 and and sold the 6" for $325.

Just a thought.

L

Jerry Strojny
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Without much of budget to work with....creekers will be more than willing to spend your money for you on the really good stuff...for the 4 items you listed you could spend anywhere from $3,000 to $50,000 and way up from there. I had a hard time finding old iron, (and probably a little impatient)but I agree with tod. If you can find it, get the old iron. They really don't make them like they used to.

My "clicker" happy finger went with the Griz stuff. I have a contractor, table saw (G0444), the 14" band saw (G0555), and an 8" jointer (still waiting to be uncrated.) I have been very happy with both saws. (Many creekers have been more than happy with the G0490 jointer.) There are many other great budget brands out there...and top end. As I'm sure you probably know. Once you get it narrowed down more, then more opinions will start to fly.

Allen Bookout
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I have Delta and one Grizzly. This may be a wrong assumption but I have about decided that the brand really does not make much difference unless you are willing to go upper end on quality and dollars. I think that you shoud decide what you need and buy whatever brand from the retailer that has the best price.

Frank does have a good idea about going to Springfield and taking a look at the Grizzlys and look for some good deals at their place. You could avoid the shipping charge but would you have to pay sales tax? I do not know but suspect that you would and that could make a difference in the total.

I am happy with Deltas and the Grizzly. I am sure that I would have been just as happy with a Jet, Powermatic or whatever I could get the best price on as they are all bascially the same anyway unless, as I noted earlier, you are willing to buy the very best.

If you live in the right place the used market might be a good place to shop but around here there is not much available and I suspect that might be the case around Oklahoma City as well.

Allen

glenn bradley
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi, as others have stated we'll need more info as to your use and budget. Something like; I'll be planing the tops and backs to thickness myself, maximum width will be 20". that will put you into a totally different tool than Ï buy the material for the tops and backs at their final thickness and only need to finish sand.

I'm assuming bandsaw for tops, necks and backs. That will probably be your big dollar item as a 6" jointer may do you fine if I am guessing right as to the use.

Jim Hinze
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
For what it's worth...

If purchasing new, there's not much wrong going with Grizzly or any of the other import MFG'ers (Wilkie)... Most machinery is now made overseas and many US companies use the same MFG'ers with differing QC Standards... In that case, the best value on the doller is my vote.

If possible, check for used iron in decent shape... I've been successfull with my tablesaw, lathe and bandsaw going that route.