PDA

View Full Version : Scary sharp observation and question

Gene Collison
09-17-2003, 6:15 PM
For the last year or so I have been mostly using the scary sharp method for plane irons. One thing I have noticed is that I can never get the backside of the iron truly flat. There always seems to be a slight radius on the cutting edge instead of a true flat. I am thinking that possibly the sandpaper substrate is compressing and rolling up slightly in front of the iron as I sand. I am not gluing the sandpaper to my tile just laying it on top while holding it with the other hand. Does anyone suppose that this is the cause? Any comments or suggestions would help.

Gene

Jeff Kurtz
09-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Perhaps so. Try spraying the backside of your sand paper with contact adhesive and see if that helps. It could also be the case that you are unintentionally "rocking" the chisel as you sand. If that's the case, I can only suggest you be extra careful to keep the tool flat. Good luck.

Jeff

Gene Collison
09-18-2003, 2:11 PM
Perhaps so. Try spraying the backside of your sand paper with contact adhesive and see if that helps. It could also be the case that you are unintentionally "rocking" the chisel as you sand. If that's the case, I can only suggest you be extra careful to keep the tool flat. Good luck.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I guess I'm going to have to buy some spray cement. I never heard of anyone mentioning this problem but me. I used to be guilty of rocking the tool but stopped that LOL. I'll do anything to get away from flattening waterstones everytime I sharpen.

Gene

Tom Scott
09-18-2003, 2:54 PM
I don't use the SS method, but I remember reading that a little spritz of water on the plate will hold the paper sufficiently for sharpening.

Konrad Sauer
09-18-2003, 3:16 PM
Hi Gene,

I had used SS for a while and had the same problem - even with the spray glue. Like you, I suspected it was the nature of the paper - a little bit of give in it. I also tried using the self adhesive paper, and while it was better, it was still not as good as water stones. Try the self adhesive and see if it improves. It is a low cost way of checking before getting into stones.

Good luck,
Konrad

Gene Collison
09-21-2003, 3:11 PM
Hi Gene,

I had used SS for a while and had the same problem - even with the spray glue. Like you, I suspected it was the nature of the paper - a little bit of give in it. I also tried using the self adhesive paper, and while it was better, it was still not as good as water stones. Try the self adhesive and see if it improves. It is a low cost way of checking before getting into stones.

Good luck,
Konrad

Thanks Conrad,
I am happy to hear that my asessment was somewhat on track. I did use waterstones but don't like the flattening routine required almost everytime you sharpen. But I think they do work better.

Gene

scott pollack
09-21-2003, 3:50 PM
i didnt have any spray adhesive so i used painters masking tape to hold the sides of each square of sandpaper. do not put in on the top and bottom , only the sides. it holds well and the paper wont bunch up under the iron. and yes , please keep your hand steady. no one has ever said that speed counts. go slow and deliberate and things should be fine.

scotty