PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Yellow Poplar Bowl - Pic

Dennis Peacock
07-05-2006, 2:16 AM
Greetings,

I decided to take a break from the flatwork I've been doing lately to turn a bowl that was sold before it was finish turned. A friend of the LOML's visited here and came in the shop and saw all the dried bowl blanks I have rough turned and set aside dry. She wanted a bowl since she's seen some of my previous bowls. I told her to pick out one or two from the roughed out dry stacks on the shelf in the shop and I'd finish turn it for her and she chose 2 of them. I'll have the other one finished this week and she will pick either this bowl or the one I'm working on for her now.

This is Spalted Yellow Poplar, finished with Tung Oil and Gel Poly and then lightly buffed.
Measures 11.25" across by 6" tall

I didn't get the final form on this one that I wanted, but I'm fairly happy with the outcome of it. I almost let this wood get TOO spalted on me as it was just beginning to get "punky" in one or two places, but I managed to git'r done.

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2006, 2:27 AM
That's a very pretty piece of wood, Dennis. If the second bowl is this nice-looking, your wife's friend is gonna have a difficult choice.

- Vaughn

Terry Quiram
07-05-2006, 6:52 AM
Dennis

Thats some really nice looking spalt. I like your bowl very much.

Terry

Michael Stafford
07-05-2006, 7:08 AM
Most excellent, Mr. Peacock. Good job, good wood, good work!

Karl Laustrup
07-05-2006, 7:48 AM
WOW! That is some kinda pretty Dennis. Good job. You have a feeling for which one she'll choose? Or do you think she'll end up with both?

Karl

John Timberlake
07-05-2006, 8:01 AM
Great bowl. Nice spalting in the wood and a simple form to highlight the wood. Good continuous curve.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-05-2006, 8:03 AM
The whole "Spalted" thing is really cool, how do you go about causing this to happen to the wood...?

Nice job Dennis, as per usual!

Cheers!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-05-2006, 9:20 AM
Very nice Dennis! I like that spalting!

Dennis Peacock
07-05-2006, 10:06 AM
The whole "Spalted" thing is really cool, how do you go about causing this to happen to the wood...?

Nice job Dennis, as per usual!

Cheers!

Stu,

With they Poplar? I just set it up on end (after sealing) and let it set for about 6 months (inside the shop). If you let it set outside, it will beging to rot fairly quickly, so I brought it inside the shop for it's spalting lesson. ;)

Other hardwoods still in log form can be left outside and covered with leaf mulch or left on the ground for a few months and they will spalt. The key is to catch it BEFORE it start going punky. So you need to check it about once a month to see if it's doing anything or just rotting.

But....some of my wood that is spalted is by accident and some of it is caused by me as I like working and seeing spalted wood. :D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
......outside.......ground.......:confused:

I guess concrete and pavement won't do eh? :D

Well the Dungeon Annex is fairly moist, maybe I'd better check up on some of the stuff I have in there.....

Cheers!

Keith Burns
07-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Great bowl Dennis. I like the form, the wood and the finish. Glad you found time to produce some more of that Arkansas Round:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Beautiful bowl Dennis. I love the spalted wood. Form and finish look great. Nice job.

Tom Sherman
07-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Like the spalt and the bowl, great work.

Dennis Peacock
07-05-2006, 2:34 PM
WOW! That is some kinda pretty Dennis. Good job. You have a feeling for which one she'll choose? Or do you think she'll end up with both?

Karl

Karl,

It's hard to tell, but...I'm thinking that she may go after both. But...who knows? I may be left with a fresh new bowl in stock. :rolleyes: :D

Rich Stewart
07-05-2006, 2:46 PM
Dat's a GREAT looking bowl there. I bet she takes em both.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-05-2006, 4:48 PM
Very nice Dennis!

Dick Parr
07-05-2006, 5:25 PM
Very nice job Dennis, that spalted wood sure looks purty..:D

Great job.;)

Glenn Hodges
07-05-2006, 5:54 PM
Spalting is worth the effor in this one Dennis. Great job!

Jim Becker
07-05-2006, 6:39 PM
Nice, Dennis! Basic bowl that really looks super with that spalting! Good choice in the form...it lets the wood talk!

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Man that is just beautiful. That spalting is just too nice and a great shape on that bowl. Way to go Dick!

Corey

Von Bickley
07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Dennis,
Looks like you nailed that one. Great looking bowl.

Barry Stratton
07-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Nice, Dennis! Basic bowl that really looks super with that spalting! Good choice in the form...it lets the wood talk!

I agree. In fact, I believe they are both saying "send me to Alaska"

Awesome job on both. My money is on two bowls leaving at once!

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Keep doing the "Spinny Thing" and forget flatwork!

That is outstanding!

Bruce

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 3:06 AM
Dennis, that is a lovely bowl. The wood is awesome, the form is gorgeously clean, and the finish is, in the words of Goldilocks, just right. I hope to see more!

Mark Cothren
07-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Nice big bowl, Dennis.

Ernie Nyvall
07-06-2006, 5:19 PM
Looks like it came out real nice Dennis. Nice spalting in that thing.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
07-06-2006, 8:43 PM
I know your time is limited but all I can say is: More...More...More...More...More!!:D Super Bowl!

John Miliunas
07-06-2006, 9:14 PM
Lookin' good, buddy! Nice piece 'o wood & you done it justice! :) :cool:

Jim Ketron
07-07-2006, 7:39 PM
Beautiful Job Dennis!
That spalted Poplar is awesome!