PDA

View Full Version : How to make many drawers - cauls?

Sonny Porter
07-05-2006, 12:27 AM
I can't afford a dozen big Bessey clamps to do several cabinet drawers at one time. I don't want the job to drag out forever. Can anyone recommend a resource where I could learn to make some cauls to help out?

Any other solutions also welcomed.

Greg Koch
07-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Sonny,

Welcome to the Creek.

Here is a link for you...http://www.bowclamp.com/

The company is also a member here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27 Lots of information, and you can discuss your project directly.

Greg

Hoa Dinh
07-05-2006, 1:51 AM
I can't afford a dozen big Bessey clamps to do several cabinet drawers at one time.
Why "big Bessey clamps"? How big are the drawers? What kind of joinery do you plan to use?

If you are using lock dado join, you need 4 clamps per drawers. If you use a pin nailer (my preference) or a brad nailer to hold the boards while the glue cures, you don't need any clamp at all.

I'm not sure if using cauls will reduce the number of clamps.

If you use clamps, you don't need the K-body or the likes. My local Harborfreight is having the light-duty Pittsburgh clamps at 50% off (they are on sale every other week or so). A 36-incher is only $5.99. A 24-incher is $3.49. I'd buy bunch of those for drawers.

Sonny Porter
07-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Hoa Dinh, you really think those Pittsburgh clamps will do it? I thought they would not clinch up the parts square unless the jaws were reliably parallel. I tried using Harbor Freight clamps a few years ago to make a sink cabinet and it was a lot of extra work. I had to loosen and tighten several times. When I used Besseys, the cabinet doors squared up right away.

How do you make drawers? What materials and joints do you use?

I have several kinds to make - some nearly 30" wide for lateral files, smaller ones for a kitchen (most will be small - no more than 16" wide and about 19-20" deep) and some cubes that will fit into cases above the lateral files.

Have your butt joints held up under use? I've really been thinking of using pocket holes because of the clamp expense. I've looked at several "squaring" gadgets and I just don't get a good sense of how well they work, what changes I'd have to make to the way I put things together.

In my experience, nothing beats a set of expensive Besseys on each end of a drawer. The casework is the same but uses more clamps. I can't find enough reviews of alternatives. I would truly appreciate knowing of alternatives. So far, only pocketholes seem really sturdy. It is affordable, for sure.

Cecil Arnold
07-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Sonny, use pocket screws. You can make your own squaring jig with some MDF and a framing square. I've made 30" kitchen drawers this way, and while I would not really want it in my kitchen (I would use a router bit and brads) you don't see the holes and the joint is strong.