PDA

View Full Version : "IMPOSSIBLE" But that wont stop me !!

Gene DiNardo
07-04-2006, 10:42 PM
OK, I'll answer the rhetorical questions first and get them out of the way.
1- I don't WHAT I was thinking.
2- No I'm not stupid !
3- Yes I AM a little crazy.
Anybody have any Ideas how to get a 20" planer down
a narrow set of stars to a basement shop.

I was thinking of an electric winch blocked in a doorjamb at the top
of the stairs, using a couple of slings and putting a ramp on the steps.
I could use 1 1/2" pipe for rollers.

I used planks and rollers to get it up on my porch and into the house..but
that was before I thought of the winch.

Anyone try this or have another method to consider.

Need advice... Thanks Gene D

James Boster
07-04-2006, 11:19 PM
I never had any problems getting heavy machinery to go down an incline.:eek: It's always the sudden stop at the bottom and the item that stopped it:eek: :( . Just joking. I would recommend lot's of help and be careful! Also I don't know how much your planer weighs but make sure the stairs are capable of the load of the planer and any helpers that will be on it at one time.

duke bryant
07-05-2006, 3:42 AM
How about an appliance dolly with the winch hooked to the top of the appliance dolly. One of the ones like Uhaul rents, with the little track designed for stairs.

Of course it would be a good idea to securely strap the planer to the dolly.

THen, you could use the winch securely fastened to something that spans the doorway (padded to reduce chance of damage to the door frame).

Good luck.
Duke

Alan Turner
07-05-2006, 5:15 AM
Gene,
I had the same problem. Used 2 x 10's on the stairs for the ramp, and a come-along with wire cable secured to a plank across the back of a masonry door frame, and then one click at a time, it came sown soft. Or, get ahold of me and I'll refer you to a co. that I just used to move 3 heavy machines out of that same basement and over to the new teaching studio. I could not believe it, but two guys just picked up a 400 lb. Griggio slot mortiser, and carried it out of the basement. No wheels, no hand truck, no nothing. They just dead lifted it and carried it up the stairs. They also moved a PM 26 shaper and a Delta lathe the same way. They were pretty reasonable also. Good luck, and don't hurt yourself!

Matt Meiser
07-05-2006, 8:16 AM
I'd think about reinforcing the stairs first! You could remove the motor and maybe some other parts to make it a little lighter.

Steve Roxberg
07-05-2006, 8:36 AM
I would also reinforce the stairs, you will have the planer and several bodies on the steps at the same time.

I would recommend hiring some muscle. A small local moving company ought to be willing to move it down for $100 to $120.

That's a lot cheaper than one visit to doctor.

If you must do it yourself, I don't have a clue on what to recommend, sorry.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-05-2006, 9:40 AM
Riggers use common sence lots of rope, steel pipe rollers, extra shoring blocks, extra lumber, comealongs, J bars, and they take plenty of time.

You sound like you are about to do the same.

I'd use something to sit atop the stairs like a few 2X10s or bigger, I'd take the advice given about shoring the stairs from below.

If you can, anchor the come along to a pickup truck or a big tree and not to the house or door frame. If you are relying on the wood or cement block door frame you are relying on whaterver inherrent weaknesses or defects that may pre-exist.
I'd also not have people on the down slope side of the jointer or on the stairs with it.
Have them stay off to the side with 2X4s or ropes to guide the thing.

A good block and tackle will be smoother than a cogged come along.

Tie your let-down cable near the CG of the jointer to avoid tipping it.

John Stevens
07-05-2006, 9:48 AM
two guys just picked up a 400 lb. Griggio slot mortiser, and carried it out of the basement. No wheels, no hand truck, no nothing. They just dead lifted it and carried it up the stairs. They also moved a PM 26 shaper and a Delta lathe the same way.

I guess those guys never worry about getting stiffed by the customer...All kidding aside, this seems like a strong sign that things are going well at your new shop. Congrats again, Alan.

Jerry Strojny
07-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't know if you are already planning to do this, so please forgive me if I am stating the obvious. I would take is apart into as many peices as possible. Each bed, the motor, the base, everything that is bolted together. I would think that all the peices would be movable with the help of a couple friends (and beer, AFTERWARD!!) and the appliance dolly. As mentioned before, shoring up the stairs wouldn't hurt either.

Charlie Plesums
07-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Rob Russell got his large Felder Combination machine (including 20 inch jointer and 20 inch planer) into his basement...see pictures at the end of this post... www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=97990&postcount=31 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=97990&postcount=31)

glenn bradley
07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Gene, you don't mention the weight but if they're available in your area, piano movers have the experience of moving large, heavy and unwieldy objects with great care and have the tools to do so.

douglas hyde
07-05-2006, 7:14 PM
all you have to do is put the jointer at the top of the stairs then push it will go down on its on.

Ben Grunow
07-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I have used a chainfall, block and tackle and come along with planks (2x10 or 12) over the years to move heavy items such as cast iron bath tubs maybe up to 400 lbs up and down the stairs. These are my conclusions:
-reinforce your stairs
-do not use rollers for the way down, make a skid from a pallet (sp?) or some scrap 2x that is bolted to the planer base and has a sheet of 3/4 ply on the bottom for a flat sliding surface and to tie all of the skid parts together. It will slide quite controllably if you have a come along or something to control it
-use multiple attachment points for the winching device by tieing the winch to a long 6x6 across the door jamb at the top and tie the 6x6 to anything you can (use ropes or straps to tie the 6x6 back to another 6x6 in another door way and get the ties tight so they help distribute the load)
-have a long digging bar or two and some scrap 2x4s handy for maneuvering the skid in tight places
-plywood your floors with 1/2" ply that fits TIGHT between the baseboards and put duct tape on the edges to keep from scratching them,this way you can use those pinch bars to move the skid around
-lay the planer down on it's side if it will be shorter that way to lower the center of gravity
-NEVER go below the item on the ways

The hardest part is the transition from flat to sloped because you will actually have to push the planer aginst the tension from the winch all while keeping your feet clear and remembering to not fall down the stairs.

If this sounds like it's crazy, it is. We did this to get a really big cast iron tub into a really fancy house through tight halls and stairs and it worked. I think you planer is a 4 man job minimum.

It also occurs to me that I have seen an appliance dolly that is like a hand truck that can climb stairs. It had a small battery that drove a small set of tracks with notches that fit the stairs and it was rated for probably3 or 400 lbs. Maybe that would do it? I have never seen one in action but I know they exist. Just google it and found one at advancedhandling.com. Mybe you could rent one? Good luck. Hope this helps.

fRED mCnEILL
07-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm in the vending business and when I have a vending machine(which weigh 7-800 lbs).that has to go up or down stairs I call a delivery truck guy who has a "stair climber" Look for one in your area. If you can't find one call the local Coke distributor and ask them who has one(all the soda distributors will have one but won't help you)that moves vending machines.Also you could call the local vending machine supplier who would know who has one. The guy I use is over 60 and can handle a full size vending machine(think Coke machine) all by himself. The machine is awsome but pricey-about $4000.It may cost you a few bucks BUT your sure to get it down safely.

Fred Mc.

Gene DiNardo
07-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions, I am still giving this some serious consideration. It's a griz GO454 bout 800 or so lbs.
I thought of removing the top section and reassembling when I get it down.
I can get a helper or two,and saftey is always my foremost concern.
Alan since your so close, I may ping you for the number of the outfit you used.
Thanks again for all the replies and the concern.

PS> You should have seen the neighbors watching ot their windows while my Wife and I got that thing up the step and through the front door. ha ha
I know they were taking bets !!
Untill I decide how to get it down :o to my shop it resides in my living room.
fortunatley my wife appreciates tools & machinery, she said "We can always put a lamp on it and call it furniture Ha !!