PDA

View Full Version : Sliding table length?

Ben Grunow
07-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Am I correct in assuming that there are different lengths for different sliders? That is, not all of them are capable of making an 8' rip on a sheet of plywood? If so, are the smaller units really worth it? I know nothing about sliders so maybe this is too general a question but some help would be appreciated. I plan on building some kitchen cabinets for my house and probably more cab work as time progresses and wonder what the real value is in a slider. What cuts do they do best?

Scott Thornton
07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Sliders are best for their safety and for cross cutting and cutting angles/compund cuts etc. Repetitive cuts, especially for panels, a slider is hands down a great tool. Your kitchen cabinets, a slider works great.

As far as ripping, I don't think you're going to find an aftermarket slider that will rip a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cross cut it, yes. Ripping a sheet that big will involve your rip fence, that's not really what a slider was designed for.

Also, one more thing, a build on slider, such as a Euro style saw is MUCH better than an aftermarket add on.

HTH.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-05-2006, 9:28 AM
Am I correct in assuming that there are different lengths for different sliders?
Absolutely.

That is, not all of them are capable of making an 8' rip on a sheet of plywood?
Quite so. The table wants to be about 6' or more. You can rip (one handed) a 12' sheet of baltic birch with no side tables, and you can do it with far, far more accuracy than any conventional table saw can offer.

If so, are the smaller units really worth it? I submit that the answer is that they are not worth it unless your needs are such that you don't want or need the dead precise accuracy a real sliding table brings to the party.

The limitations imposed by the Laguna TSS saw's shorter sliding table was one -among other things - that caused me to turn away from the Laguna TSS when I was shopping for a new saw. Their slider is just too small.
For another grand or two you can do so much better.

I know nothing about sliders so maybe this is too general a question but some help would be appreciated. I plan on building some kitchen cabinets for my house and probably more cab work as time progresses and wonder what the real value is in a slider. What cuts do they do best?
Just about all of the cuts you might do otherwise but a whole lot more accurately and safely.

A good slider can rip using the cross cut fence a 12' sheet into deadly precice sections with less than .001" of error down the length. Or stated another way the accuracy and repeatability of a good slider is hindered only by the operator's errors and the humidity.

If you are thinking of getting an addon aftermarket slider you might consider whether it's really going to serve your needs. There are folks who like 'em a lot and folks who don't. If you can afford it there is nothing on quite like a high end slider.

That said, there is no reason in the world to think that you won't be perfectly able to build very good cabinetry with a conventional table saw.

Take a surf around the web and look at the work that people do using all manner of conventional saws ranging from craftsman contractor's saws, craftsman zip code saws, Royobi, dewalt, Grizz, Delta, and PM.

Mike Wilkins
07-05-2006, 9:33 AM
While I don't have a slider(yet) I have researched them heavily. There are sliders on the market that will allow you to rip, lengthwise, the full length. These saws/sliders usually have an 8 foot or longer slider, with an outrigger table for holding the sheet of ply. There are others on this forum that have sliders that can do this and have posted that operation(Cresti & Renzetti).
The choice of what slider to purchase will depend on 2 things: your wallet and the size of your shop space. With a longer slider you will need adequate infeed and outfeed space. The manufacturer can provide you with the required space needs.

Ben Grunow
07-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Thank you guys. I am off to do my homework and weigh my wallet.

Paul B. Cresti
07-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Am I correct in assuming that there are different lengths for different sliders? That is, not all of them are capable of making an 8' rip on a sheet of plywood? If so, are the smaller units really worth it? I know nothing about sliders so maybe this is too general a question but some help would be appreciated. I plan on building some kitchen cabinets for my house and probably more cab work as time progresses and wonder what the real value is in a slider. What cuts do they do best?

Ben,
Hope I can help a bit with my experience with them. First take a look at some of my past posts about my slider and how i use it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23389

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23774

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24502

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26285

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28088

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29871

There are different lengths of sliders: 5.0ft, 5.5ft, 8.5ft,8.0ft 9.0ft, 10.5 ft and there maybe a few more. The exact sizes vary by manufacturer.

Obviously not all of them can not make a full rip on an 8ft sheetgood item and do not assume an 8ft slider can also. First of some sheetgoods, especially MDF, come in slightly over sized....and this can really throw you off if your saw can only handle exactly 8 footers. The next thing to consider is you may want the extra clearance that an 8ft+ slider give you as you slide the sheet past the blade, an 8 footer may not clear comfortably. Also consider the ability to rip solid stock & straight line (edge) rip long solid stock, this is where the longer sliders really help also. The 5ft range of sliders will give you all the normal safety & accuracy benefits but are geared to only crosscutting large sheets and smaller work
pieces.

As I have said in the past a Euro Slider picks up where the AmerIcan Cabinet Saw left off back in the 1950's. At the same time, as Cliff stated, it will no make you a better woodworker, but it will allow you some very serious benefits in accuracy, repeatability and SAFETY.

I started with a table top saw, then contractor saw, then Unisaw, then a 8.5ft MM S315WS and now the 10.5ft MM S35. I am very happy where I am and would not ever want to go back.

Best of luck to you on your search. Feel free to drop me a line.

Charlie Plesums
07-06-2006, 1:08 AM
I bet on the 8.5 foot slider. I have used the entire length, but have not needed or wanted anythling longer. In addition to cutting sheet goods, it is excellent to rip rough lumber, especially warped or rough pieces that don't have a good reference edge to push along the rip fence. (I build furniture, so I rarely have a finished piece more than 8 feet long).

The size sounds intimidating, but I have it, along with a lot of other machinery, in my two car garage, and can rearrange the machines in 10-20 minutes to get one car in the garage. Although the slider and outrigger are huge, they share space with other functions (my outrigger comes off in a minute or two, so I can use the space for assembly; The slider itself doesn't take any more space than you would have to clear to rip an 8 foot board.

Paul Canaris
07-06-2006, 6:53 AM
I'm with Charlie on this one. Yesterday I used the slider to rip a straight edge on a half dozen curved boards each about eight foot in length. The only downside of a larger slider is it's larger footprint.

Jim Becker
07-06-2006, 9:53 AM
Were I to acquire a slider, I'd opt for something in the 8.5' length simply because I'd want to be able to take advantage of ripping not only sheet goods, but also solid stock.

lou sansone
07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
at a minimum I would have at least 8 1/2 foot slider for all of the above reasons.
lou

Art Davis
07-06-2006, 5:51 PM
I have checked Paul's threads and others---and visited the MM (SCM) web site. However, I haven't really learned what I want to know about these machines. Just where can one go to get a fairly detailed account of precisely what the table configurations are and how one uses them to rip and crosscut? Are there any books on the market? The web sites aren't really all that clear for a neophyte to interpret. Thanks.

Paul B. Cresti
07-06-2006, 6:22 PM
However, I haven't really learned what I want to know about these machines. Just where can one go to get a fairly detailed account of precisely what the table configurations are and how one uses them to rip and crosscut? .

Art,
Ask away and I will try to answer/explain the best I can.

tod evans
07-06-2006, 7:33 PM
or better yet phone minimax and they`ll hook you up with an owner who`s close to you. that way you can see first hand what you`re dealing with and speak to a person who uses the equipment...02 tod

Ben Grunow
07-06-2006, 9:51 PM
Thanks for the replies and Paul, you have a nice slider and have posted some great photos. Very helpful, I will continue to drool and save.

lou sansone
07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
or better yet phone minimax and they`ll hook you up with an owner who`s close to you. that way you can see first hand what you`re dealing with and speak to a person who uses the equipment...02 tod

I second tod's suggestion ... talk to folks who own them and also find out what type of work they do with the saw itself and see if it is similar to what you are planning on using it for.

lou

Art Davis
07-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Art,
Ask away and I will try to answer/explain the best I can.

Paul,

Thanks a lot for the offer. I am just "in and out" tonight, but will PM you with questions later.

Art