PDA

View Full Version : An interesting story

Reed Gray
07-04-2006, 6:40 PM
A lot of the wood that we get has some sort of story behind it, and this is one of the most unusual ones I have had. I got a call about a Silver Maple. It was the biggest one I had seen, close to 60 inches on the stump. Any way the guy who had the tree wanted some one to use the wood rather than burn it, and of course I wanted it. He wanted a bowl or 2 for himself, and one for the guy who planted the tree in the mid 50's. It turns out that he met the guy who planted the tree because his daughter is marrying the grandson of the guy who planted the tree. Is that cool or what?!
robo hippy

John Miliunas
07-04-2006, 6:52 PM
Small world, ain't it, Reed? And yes, that is one gigundo Silver!!! :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
07-04-2006, 7:06 PM
Hey Reed!

No pic - it was never planted.:D

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Reed that is a great story. Dang that is one big tree. I can see a shop full of bowls, boxes, etc. out of that one.

John Timberlake
07-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a good opportunity for something for the bride and groom. Love stories like this. And nice haul on the wood too.

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2006, 2:50 AM
Cool story, Reed. I second the vote for a wedding bowl for te bride and groom. Also, better get some pics of the log (and eventually the bowls that come from it) if you don't want a Picture Police citation. ;)

- Vaughn

Reed Gray
07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I do have a digital camera now, and am getting to learn some things about it. Eventually, I will learn to load the pictures, and move them around on the computer, and post them. I am good with the lathe, but not the computer.
robo hippy