PDA

View Full Version : wood plane pattern?

Jerry Crawford
09-17-2003, 12:24 PM
I need to make a couple of sizes of round nose wood planes to cove out a barrel chanel in a gunstock I'm carving. I know these "hollow's and rounds" are everywhere and I see them all the time on ebay but has anyone a nice plan for them that would tell me what angle to cut in the blade void and so forth?
Thanks
Jerry

Marc Hills
09-17-2003, 12:53 PM
has anyone a nice plan for them that would tell me what angle to cut in the blade void and so forth?

Hi Jerry:

Here is a site for making an olovo plane that I've bookmarked. This design can be easily adapted to suit any blade profile you wish, including hollows and rounds.

http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost/Thumbnail_Making/start.html

Jerry Crawford
09-17-2003, 1:24 PM
Hi Jerry:

Here is a site for making an olovo plane that I've bookmarked. This design can be easily adapted to suit any blade profile you wish, including hollows and rounds.

many thanks Marc - this should do me OK, although making this plane will probably be more work and take longer than actually using it on this one gun. But, I'll have it for the next one.

Dave Anderson NH
09-17-2003, 3:30 PM
Since you are in Maine it shouldn't be much of a trick to find one of the many antique tool dealers who has a number of different sizes and makers of assorted unmatched hollows and rounds. While complete or nearly complete sets can set you back quite a bit, you should be able to find a lonely one for $20. If you are really south, as in on the NH line, you might want to go over the bridge and see M.S. Carter in downtown Portsmouth. She has a tool cellar with all kinds of stuff though in the last year or two she has gotten a bit pricey. If you feel any leaning toward our enlightened side here you would also want to get on her mailing list so she sends you out a postcard when new shipments come in.

Jerry Crawford
09-17-2003, 9:19 PM
Since you are in Maine it shouldn't be much of a trick to find one of the many antique tool dealers who has a number of different sizes and makers of assorted unmatched hollows and rounds.... If you are really south, as in on the NH line, you might want to go over the bridge and see M.S. Carter in downtown Portsmouth. She has a tool cellar with all kinds of stuff though in the last year or two she has gotten a bit pricey. If you feel any leaning toward our enlightened side here you would also want to get on her mailing list so she sends you out a postcard when new shipments come in.

hmmm, interesting, Dave. I have no qualms about buying what i need in the way of tools but I thought Carters was defunct. A year or so ago I was in Portsmouth and as I passed the place I thought the old Carter emporium next to the salt docks was empty. I use to haunt that cellar some years ago and walked down that circular stair a number of times. I'm in Alfred, about an hours drive from there. Might be worth going back down for a look if you say they are still in business.

Dave Anderson NH
09-18-2003, 8:51 AM
I don't know about this week Jerry, but as of last week she was still selling tools ;) Dave Caudill stopped by during his session at Mike Dunbar's.

Jerry Crawford
09-18-2003, 9:38 AM
I don't know about this week Jerry, but as of last week she was still selling tools ;) Dave Caudill stopped by during his session at Mike Dunbar's.

...chauk it off as a senior moment Dave. I just talked to her a moment ago and am going down this morning to have another look in the basement. I've had a hard morning spliting hickory out for ram rods and deserve a relaxing cruise through the emporium. thanks
Jerry