PDA

View Full Version : Big Oak Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
07-04-2006, 3:48 PM
Well big for me anyway...9" X 6" finished with 3 coats of Deft steel wooled between coats. Had bad time with tearout problems on this one and had to leave some as it just kept tearing out. All in all, I feel pretty good about it. The LOML snatched it up the minute she saw it and then my daughter came over and wants one like it.:) Forgot to add that it also has very mild spalting in it.

Frank Chaffee
07-04-2006, 7:14 PM
Christopher,
Whatever technique you used that exposes the individual cells of that oak (white?) bowl is one to stay with.

Absolutely fantastic view of the inside of a tree!!!

Frank

Ernie Nyvall
07-04-2006, 9:59 PM
Looks good Chris. LOML wants one like it. Nice finish too and is a pretty good sized bowl by any standards.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Chris that is a nice job again. No wonder the LOYL snatched that up. Beautiful piece.

Corey Hallagan
07-05-2006, 12:12 AM
That in my opinion is one of the nicest bowls you have turned. I like the form and shape is cool I think. I just don't know how you are turning that oak, I turned an oak pen and it was one of the hardest pens I have turned so far! Nice job.

Corey

Barry Stratton
07-05-2006, 12:59 AM
That in my opinion is one of the nicest bowls you have turned. I like the form and shape is cool I think. I just don't know how you are turning that oak, I turned an oak pen and it was one of the hardest pens I have turned so far! Nice job.

Corey

Corey - He's a Texan. Everything is bigger and better in Texas. Turning oak with 40 lb skews and gouges is easy!!!

Seriously Christopher, this is up there with the best's work. Very nice shape and finish!

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2006, 2:32 AM
Nice bowl, Christopher. The grain in that oak really stands out. Based on limited earlier experiences with oak on a lathe 30+ years ago, I think I'll wait a while before trying any more.

- Vaughn

Mark Cothren
07-05-2006, 8:35 AM
Great work with the Oak! If you can turn that stuff and keep it together (from my limited experience w/ Oak) then you got it made with everything else!

Keith Burns
07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Very nice bowl there Mr. Oak:) :) You're doing great, keep it up:) :)

Tom Sherman
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
For true Chris, nice looking bowl.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-05-2006, 5:15 PM
Wow, Chris. You do some really nice stuff with that oak.