PDA

View Full Version : The Power..... (Vid)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-04-2006, 3:42 PM
I've been fooling around again on the DVR, I finished up my welding for the night, but I have a rule, if I weld, I stay in the shop for one hour after I finish just in case anything is smoldering.

So I had an hour to kill.... :D

I chucked up a piece of the Sakura, in fact it was the blank I was supposed to send to Tom Jones for the blank exchange, but it had some bad cracks in it, so I did not. Well those cracks went just about through the piece, so I decided to have some fun.

I set my camera up and took some DEEP cuts....

Power Turning (http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/vids/power_turning.wmv) <- wmv file 306 Kg

I know this is nothing new to guys with mustard or mayo lathes, or other good lathes, but compared to the old C-man I had, boy this DVR 3000 rocks!

That is the P&N 1/2" bowl gouge at work.

Fun!

Cheers!

PS Bonus points if you know the BG song :D

Mark Rios
07-04-2006, 4:20 PM
WTG, Stu. I really don't know the meaning of what I just read and saw but WTG nonetheless! :D :D :D Looks like the start of a wooden version of a clay pot.

BTW, wasn't there a few posts awhile ago about turning while wearing a wedding ring or jewlery or something?..........

07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Mark, I was just turning that piece down to chips, no point in it, but fun.

The piece of wood has some bad cracks that ran right through it, so I was just making thin firewood out of it.

I was showing a HEAVY cut with the Nova DVR 3000 is effortless, it really rocks, that is about 1/2" deep, that cut is. My old C-man lathe would have busted in two with that kind of a cut. I know the guys with Mayo or Mustard, or any similar type HD lathe will be saying "So what?" but for me it was a very HEAVY cut.

I watched the rpm indicator on the machine, and from the start of the cut to the end, the rpms changed less than 5 rpm, constant power, I like it! :D

No real purpose aside from fun.

Cheers!

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Way to go Stu. Buddy you had that gouge in deep. Sometimes I do the same thing. I have a piece with a crack and I grab a tool just for practice. Lots of fun ain't it.

Raymond Overman
07-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Doesn't take much to entertain us guys does it Stu? I like to hog out those big shavings too but I can stall my motor if I'm not careful. It's just 1 HP and belt driven.

Have fun.

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2006, 2:21 AM
Stu, seeing the rate your DVR eats wood is impressive. Comparing your DVR to my little Wilton reminds me of a time years ago when I was out target shooting with a buddy in Gallup, NM. We were shooting at some sandstone bluffs, and the locals had painted a bunch of 8" red dots on the rock for use as targets. My buddy loaded up his .44 magnum, picked out a dot, and BOOM! in one shot wiped it off the face of the cliff. Not wanting to be outdone, I popped a 30-round clip into my little 10-22 (.22 cal) rifle and with thirty repetitions of TAK-kaTAK-kaTAK-kaTAK... proceeded to "erase" the next dot on the cliff. Same result, different rate of progress, much like the lathe comparison.

I played a bit today with my new Sears lathe, and although I didn't have as big of piece of wood available, I got to show LOML what long wet curlies are all about. Like you, I was just chewin' to chew. No form involved. ;) I also halfway roughed out an olive? bowl. I had to stop to feed it some epoxy Manhattan. Plus, I need to wait for the 1"-8t adaptor for my Nova so I can chuck it up and cut out the inside of the bowl. Here's hoping it doesn't fall apart on me before I have a chance to finish roughing it out.

Sorry for the threadjack...thanks for the video of the DVR in action.

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
07-05-2006, 8:21 AM
Well seeeeee, shows what I know. After your explanation I NOW can see what you did. :D

Next Monday I go to my first meeting of a local WWing club. It seems that they have a fair amount of turners so I should get a better idea of what you spin-crack (as Tyler calls it) addicts talk about sometimes.

You go Stu!

07-05-2006, 9:26 AM
Well seeeeee, shows what I know. After your explanation I NOW can see what you did. :D

Next Monday I go to my first meeting of a local WWing club. It seems that they have a fair amount of turners so I should get a better idea of what you spin-crack (as Tyler calls it) addicts talk about sometimes.

You go Stu!

Careful there Mark, that is the edge of the Abyss you are looking at :D

07-05-2006, 9:31 AM
Stu, seeing the rate your DVR eats wood is impressive. Comparing your DVR to my little Wilton reminds me of a time years ago when I was out target shooting with a buddy in Gallup, NM. We were shooting at some sandstone bluffs, and the locals had painted a bunch of 8" red dots on the rock for use as targets. My buddy loaded up his .44 magnum, picked out a dot, and BOOM! in one shot wiped it off the face of the cliff. Not wanting to be outdone, I popped a 30-round clip into my little 10-22 (.22 cal) rifle and with thirty repetitions of TAK-kaTAK-kaTAK-kaTAK... proceeded to "erase" the next dot on the cliff. Same result, different rate of progress, much like the lathe comparison.

I played a bit today with my new Sears lathe, and although I didn't have as big of piece of wood available, I got to show LOML what long wet curlies are all about. Like you, I was just chewin' to chew. No form involved. ;) I also halfway roughed out a eucalyptus bowl. I had to stop to feed it some epoxy Manhattan. Plus, I need to wait for the 1"-8t adaptor for my Nova so I can chuck it up and cut out the inside of the bowl. Here's hoping it doesn't fall apart on me before I have a chance to finish roughing it out.

- Vaughn
...sliding OT here.... :rolleyes:

Vaughn, one of my Uncles is a mining assayer, he works way up in the Norther wilds of Canada. He was badly mauled by a bear once, nearly died, 150+ stitches. After that he always carried a 44 mag with him, hollow points as well, I think.

I fired that gun a few times, and all I can say is that Dirty Harry could not have fired that thing one handed no way :eek:

Same uncle had some black powder rifles, what a hoot, 50 cal, nice round lead balls, hard to shoot with, compared to a modern gun, would need more time on it to figure it out, but I saw some of the guys in his club shooting down trees. The trees were about 6" or 8" in diameter and they would take a couple of shots at them and they darn things would just fall over!

I cannot imagine the damage that would do to a body :eek:

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
07-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Ahem - Mr. Rios is not looking at the edge of the abyss. He's standing at it.

Mark Rios
07-05-2006, 1:47 PM
Ahem - Mr. Rios is not looking at the edge of the abyss. He's standing at it.

Well, maybe......but i've got my harness on and two safety ropes tied off.

:D

George Conklin
07-05-2006, 2:02 PM
Vaughn,

It does my heart good to read your story. Somebody from Kali that Shoots! Now go about and convert the rest of the state:)

I played a bit today with my new Sears lathe, and although I didn't have as big of piece of wood available, I got to show LOML what long wet curlies are all about. Like you, I was just chewin' to chew. No form involved. ;) I also halfway roughed out an olive? bowl. I had to stop to feed it some epoxy Manhattan. Plus, I need to wait for the 1"-8t adaptor for my Nova so I can chuck it up and cut out the inside of the bowl. Here's hoping it doesn't fall apart on me before I have a chance to finish roughing it out.

- Vaughn

George Conklin
07-05-2006, 2:10 PM
I'm really happy that you are satisfied with the lathe, Stu.

07-05-2006, 3:23 PM
I'm really happy that you are satisfied with the lathe, Stu.

"Satisfied" boy you like the understatement don't you George :D

Yep, it is a keeper, BIG TIME!

Thanks again buddy! :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2006, 4:36 PM
Vaughn,

It does my heart good to read your story. Somebody from Kali that Shoots! Now go about and convert the rest of the state:)
George, I consider myself a New Mexico boy, just living where the work is. ;) There are quite a few gun shooters here in CA, though, and not all of them are gang members. :D

- Vaughn

Barry Stratton
07-05-2006, 8:32 PM
Stu - one word:

COOL!!!!!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-06-2006, 2:59 AM
Stu, the background music should have been that song that was used in Bruce Almighty, with the lyrics that go "I've got the power!". :) I'm glad to see you're having so much fun with it!

07-06-2006, 7:20 AM
Stu, the background music should have been that song that was used in Bruce Almighty, with the lyrics that go "I've got the power!". :) I'm glad to see you're having so much fun with it!

I thought that the song being played was more appropriate considering what I'm doing, and where I am :D

Frank Fusco
07-06-2006, 10:22 AM
We digress, but: My favorite MODERN gun (I'm a traditional muzzle loading enthusiast) is a .44 mag. I have shot it many-many thousands of times, one handed and I'm not a big guy. Proper grips and practice is the key.

Frank Fusco
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Stu, your demo is impressive. How does that wood compare in hardness/toughness with others? Was it out of sensitivity for my feelings you didn't compare with the 'green' machine? :rolleyes: :D

07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Stu, your demo is impressive. How does that wood compare in hardness/toughness with others? Was it out of sensitivity for my feelings you didn't compare with the 'green' machine? :rolleyes: :D
Wow Frank............ you have feelings............:eek: ;) :D

Just kidding (I don't want to PO a guy that shoots a 44 mag one handed, do I.... ;) )

I'll say that I shot that 44 Mag when I was about 16, or so...... :rolleyes:

That wood is about as hard as Oak, I guess, it is still green, but far from "Wet".