PDA

View Full Version : A cane made without a spinny thing....

Warren White
07-04-2006, 2:54 PM
Good morning and Happy 4th of July to all!
I have a very dear friend with whom I serve in a Church calling. He and I will be serving in different parts of California soon and I wanted to give him something I had made.

I don't have a lathe, but I wanted to make him a cane. He is 80+ and uses one all of the time so it seemed like a natural. Last week he was using one made out of a closet rod, so I wasn't too intimidated.

I made this out of a maple/walnut glue up; it has a rectangular cross section with the corners rounded over on my router table. The handle is screwed and glued to the cane and has walnut plugs hiding the screws.

It isn't a major project and not very elegant, but one that is close to my heart because of my great love for this man. He is quite an example!

Jim Becker
07-04-2006, 3:02 PM
A very sharp and unique looking cane. Nice job!

Bob Noles
07-04-2006, 3:03 PM
Warren,

Very nice job on the cane.

Your friend is lucky to have a good friend like you.

Frank Fusco
07-04-2006, 3:24 PM
Very nice. Even with a lathe, turning a slim rod 36" long is a challenge. That is why many cane are made in sections with couplers. I made a walking stick for myself (for when the day comes I might need it) by sorta cheating fair. I bought an ordinary hickory cane for about $5.00 the cut off the crook. Then just using my disk sander, I formed the top to fit into a brass horse hame. A couple pins made from brazing rod finished the project. I don't need a cane yet, but I call this my 'New Orleans walking stick'. It is stout and the brass head is something I wouldn't want to get smashed in the head with.

Bob Reeve
07-04-2006, 3:26 PM
I think the cane is stunning and from your heart. Why always make things like they are normally made. Venture out

Bob