PDA

View Full Version : Swingset 1, kid 0

Ned Bulken
07-04-2006, 2:16 PM
My youngest son was camping with his grandparents this week, and decided to 'fly' off of the swings. One trip to the ER later... dislocated elbow, and broken lower arm. (don't know which bone), plus a fracture just above the elbow. I guess he got some good height off the swing, judging by his injuries. Mom has him at the ER, and I returned to work to wrap up holiday coverage at the office. :mad: He's 7, and he'll mend, but ouch! just the same.

Jim Becker
07-04-2006, 3:16 PM
Hmm...Alesya almost ended up the same way one day at the playground when she went off the BACK of the swing seat. The only thing she broke was her fall...with her head. Fortunately, that playground has a rubber surface. I'm more worried about Nastia doing what your son just did as she feels she has to go as high as she can on the swings, especially now that we have them in the back yard.

Ned Bulken
07-04-2006, 8:02 PM
I just got home from visiting the LOML at work (tag team parenting, fun isn't it?), she brought the little guy home, He's 'fine'. Motrin and a nice snazzy blue cast, plus ice packs as required. He even ate TWO hot dogs for me for dinner (a bonus, I was expecting' 'I'm not hungry daddy'):cool:

As for your bundles of energy, keep the older cousins from encouraging them to Jump from the apogee of the swing and they should be 'fine'.

Mike Cutler
07-04-2006, 10:24 PM
As for your bundles of energy, keep the older cousins from encouraging them to Jump from the apogee of the swing and they should be 'fine'.

Hey!! I was that older cousin once.:eek: :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear the 'lil guy is alright, bumbles bounce. My younger cousin used to watch me jump out of walnut trees growing up. He tried it, with my encouragement, and broke his collar bone and seperated his shoulder. I still get razzed about it 38 years after the crime.

Remeber Dad. Get him some cool stickers and graphics for the cast. Points on the play yard.

Jeff Kerr
07-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Ned,

I know how you feel. My 12 yr old daughter decided to get into a pickup soccer game at the neighbors with a bunch of high school graduate boys (more like men) on Father's day.

Long story short one of the young men kicked the ball and it hit her in the arm and broke it in 2 places between the wrist and elbow. :eek:

Anyway kids are tough, she was back on her horse 2 days later. Like nothing ever happened.

Take care of your guy.

Chip Charnley
07-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Heck,

I broke my arm just above the right wrist when I was in 6th grade. Had my best ever year as a receiver playing flag football that year. Don't know why the cast cured my butter-fingers but it did. Back to butter-fingers in 7th grade though. :(

Ned Bulken
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
He's still in the 'quiet' phase, I expect though that he'll be his normal rambunctious self by the end of the weekend. By that time things will have knit together enough that he'll be more comfortable.

I'm making sure that I'm treating him 'normally', ie joshing and so forth, so he doesn't feel too 'out of sorts', while making allowances for his arm.