PDA

View Full Version : Constructive Critisism Wanted

John Abt
07-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi,

I introduced myself a few weeks ago. I've come back a few times, but work has been keeping me running.

I've been turning for about six months and I'd like to get your comments on some of my turnings. This is the first time that I've posted photos (I'm not much of a photographer).

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate it.

John Abt

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2006, 12:03 PM
John..........I'd say you photographic and turning skills are great! For a person only turning six months you've developed quite well! Great work!

Tom Sherman
07-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with you Ken nice looking work keep em comin John.

Horst Hohoff
07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi John,
I quite like no.s 1,3 + 4 ( from left ) but 1 + 4 are my favourites. I don't really like the shape of no. 2. To me it looks a bit too "square", the sides are too steep; no. 3 looks a lot better in that respect. And I don't like the goblet at all. To me the proportions are not quite right. Stem and foot are too long compared to the bowl. The foot looks a bit too thick, it should be a bit flatter. The stem is too thick too. When using a straight sided stem I would make it a lot thinner, or put a curve on it with the thinnest spot somewhere near the upper third.
This is my personal view, others may not agree, but maybe it is of help.
Horst

Mark Rios
07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi John and welcome if I didn't say it before.

I'm not a turner but I do like alot of the stuff you folks turn out (pun not intended.....well....maybe a little bit intended) I like number 4. Very "natural" looking. I'd say that it's missing just one thing though.......where's the M&M's?

:D

John Abt
07-04-2006, 1:30 PM
Horst,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you on the steepness of the bowl. I posted that one because it was the first bowl I made that survived. Some had no bottoms and others shattered when I got catches on stress cracks. The goblet was an experiment to see how thin I could get the walls (actually, it's goblet #4, #1-3 all broke and are in the kindling pile.)

Corey Hallagan
07-04-2006, 1:58 PM
Very nice work John, you have alot of talent! Nice job.

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
07-04-2006, 6:59 PM
John, from what I can tell the cuts are clean and the finishes seem smooth. So far as the form of the items go I kind of like to see things a bit different. I know there must be some norm that many go by and that is fine and dandy; however, I believe there is something to be said for originality and creativity as well. I've spent a good bit of time looking at vases bowls and other ware in art as well as craft stores. It is amazing to me how many of those shapes defy the general convention and are are, in fact, salable in spite of the fact that some would judge their form unacceptable. While there is room for improvement of all my work I still try to remember that my personality is reflected in that work only when I follow my heart. So, long story short, heed the advice about workmanship, listen to the vets about those small tweaks that can make a difference and most of all, maintain your personal integrity with each piece. Some will like one; others another but ultimately you are the one who must take personal pride in your accomplishments. Great Work for as long as you've been doing this.:)

John Miliunas
07-04-2006, 7:38 PM
6 months, huh??? John, you're killin' me over here! :eek: You done great! :) I agree that #2 doesn't exactly "blow my skirt up" but, that's just personal taste and trust me, I've made similar when I started. Now, for my favorites, I really like the plate and that natural edge is killer! Great job on all of them! :) 6 months, huh??? Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh! :D :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
07-04-2006, 10:33 PM
John, your workmanship looks great. As far as form, well I don't think I have any two that I've done that are close to one another in that respect, espicially at this stage of the game for me.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2006, 10:36 PM
John those are some nice turnings. Glad to see some nice pictures of some nice turnings. Keep up the great work. I have only been turning 6 months.

Von Bickley
07-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Great work John