PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Face Frame to Cabinet Carcass

Ed Blough
07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
In your opinion what is the best way to attach a face frame to the cabinet carcass?

What method would you use if the cabinet carcass was installed and the counter top set in place.

The finished face frame is 8 ft long.

Looking for ideas. I thought of pocket screws, and/or mounting blocks little two inch long pieces of 4/4 stock located around the cabinet which are screwed to the face frame and screwed to the carcass. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions. I love painting myself into corners.

Jim Becker
07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Glue and your choice of alignment or auxiliary fasteners. I typically use glue and a few biscuits (for alignment) and clamps. I may try pocket screws on my next cabinetry project where they are appropriate and do-able...they eliminate clamping beyond a few minutes of time.

Don Baer
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Glue, clamps and cauls.

John Hemenway
07-04-2006, 11:48 AM
If you can't see one side when installed, pocket screws!

They're fast and strong. An unbeatable combination assuming this is not a 'fine furniture' piece.

Bob Huddleston
07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
I prefer pocket screws, as long as they can be hidden. Have done the biscuits, but prefer the pockets. And use clamps...made that oops too.

Ed Blough
07-04-2006, 6:48 PM
Since the carcass is installed using clamps is almost impossible.
There is no access to the bottom, back, sides, or top since the counter is installed. All I have is from the front since the cabinet is sitting between two walls.

Mark Rios
07-04-2006, 6:55 PM
Pocket screws come back to mind again then. For clamping, with pocket screws or some other type of method, can you screw 2x blocks inside, way in the back of the cabinet to clamp from? If you go through the side no one will see 'cause of the 2 walls and you could fill the screw holes when you're done.

Just a thought.

glenn bradley
07-04-2006, 7:01 PM
If clamping is impossible. more frequent pocket screws. The trick will be retaining the jig without an open edge to clamp it to.

Paul Kunkel
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
In this situation, where clamps and pocket screws are really not an option, I'd revert to glue and as few as necessary 18g nails. I will be suitably strong and filling the nail holes will be the only detriment.

Scott Thornton
07-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Pocket screws will be best.

The newest Kreg jig can be used without clamps, it can be used to retrofit, by attaching the jig with a temporary screw, making your pocket holes and moving on.

HTH.

Steve Clardy
07-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Glue and nail from the inside to the face.
And as above, a temporary block inside the carcass to attach a clamp.