PDA

View Full Version : Who's doing what on the 4th of July?

Boyd Gathwright
07-04-2006, 11:07 AM
.... Who's doing what on the 4<SUP>th</SUP> of July

.... We plan on taking a break and just enjoying the day from our normal routines. Then later tonight we will sit back and watch our neighbors set off several fireworks lasting several hours. Just like last year. Nothing like having your own private showing. And I might say a SUPER showing at that. I have heard they spend Hundreds and even Thousands of dollars on some of their displays.

.... What will YOU be doing for the 4<SUP>th </SUP><SUP>;)</SUP>.

Mark Rios
07-04-2006, 11:14 AM
I'll be gluing up some doors for a rush job that I've got going. Gluing up two replacement bread boards also for the same place.

A little BBQ and then tonight, making sure that the field next to me stays UN-on fire. :D

Ned Bulken
07-04-2006, 2:04 PM
Trip to the ER, son tried to fly off of a swing while camping, and broke his arm. Can't wait for this set of bills... and oh, by the way, working today also.

Mark Rios
07-04-2006, 2:08 PM
Sorry about your son there Ned. It will provide a nice piece of childhood memory for him though. :D Now he gets to spend his summer in a cast. :D

I feel for him. I've broken 32 bones in my life. Give him a hug for me.

Ned Bulken
07-04-2006, 2:12 PM
I will, when he's awake, they 'knocked him out' for resetting his elbow. I'm lucky, I've only broken three bones, both lower arm bones just above the wrist, and a cracked skull. (yes that does explain a lot, doesn't it?). He was very good in the ER. (I left while they reset his arm, the LOML is an EMT and does better with the kids in trauma situations)

Bruce Benjamin
07-04-2006, 3:43 PM
.... Who's doing what on the 4<SUP>th</SUP> of July

.... We plan on taking a break and just enjoying the day from our normal routines. Then later tonight we will sit back and watch our neighbors set off several fireworks lasting several hours. Just like last year. Nothing like having your own private showing. And I might say a SUPER showing at that. I have heard they spend Hundreds and even Thousands of dollars on some of their displays.

.... What will YOU be doing for the 4<SUP>th </SUP><SUP>;)</SUP>.

Boyd, it sounds like you've got the good plan for this great American holiday. Home-shown fireworks are a big no-no around these parts. Great big ol' fine or worse if you get caught. The problem here is the risk of major forest/grassland fires. Sure are fun to watch though and there are always a few in the sky just about any direction you look. I live in Northern California, land of serious dry heat and very dry grass and timber. We've been very lucky with the lack of forest fires so far this year... My wife is a New Yorker and her father was an executive for American Airlines for most of his life. He used to bring the confiscated fireworks home for proper destruction under supervised conditions. ;) I guess some of them were small to medium mortars and much of the neighborhood would gather around to watch the show. Insane if you ask me considering how many homes in their old neighborhood had shake roofs. :eek: But nobody ever got hurt, thankfully, and they all had a good time. No, I don't necessarily condone my FIL's activity but that was the story anyway.

My wife and kids and I are planning where we're going to watch the local fireworks from tonight but looking outside shows that the sky is about halfway overcast right now. That can't be good...Redding has some of the very best fireworks shows I've ever seen most years and I've seen them in NYC, San Francisco, numerous theme parks, and Portland, Or. They usually only last 20 to 30 minutes but the key is timing combined with the proper quantity. Too much and all you get is a blur of color and smoke. Quite an art form.

Let's all remember our American troops both here and overseas that are loyally serving the greatest nation ever on earth and putting themselves into harms way so that the US and it's friends can be free to celebrate this great day for another 230 years. I did my time years ago in the Coast Guard but I was never shot at and I salute those who have been. They are the ONLY reason the USA is still primarily an English speaking nation and that's the real reason to celebrate. Think about the history of sacrifice of our American troops for a while and you might find yourself getting a little choked up.

Bruce, Proud American

Michael Cody
07-04-2006, 6:35 PM
8am - my scouts & some adults setup the tents for the church pie sale @ the 4th of July parade and chicken bbq downtown (or the 4 corners that passes for downtown richland).

9am - Hauled all the tables and pies out to the tents.

10:30am- came back to the event so our scout color guard could do the flag ceremony @ 11am for the parade

-- see pic's below (note didn't get everyone in group pic, boys don't look like much sometimes but they are pretty good group, surprise me everyday)

11:15am - chowed down on a 1/2 bbq chicken, beans, coleslaw, roll and and 2 pieces of very very good peach pie along with some real lemonade.

1:30pm - scouts and I tore down the tents for the pie sale and carried everything back downstairs in the church. Picked up trash on the site.

2:00pm - took a 2 hour nap (thunderstorms all nite, dogs are psychotic and that keeps me awake)

5:00pm - made pork cutlets, sweet corn and cut up watermelon for dinner.

after 6 -- going out in my boat to watch the fireworks from the lake this year.

tomorrow back to work.

Mark Pruitt
07-04-2006, 7:55 PM
Trip to the ER, son tried to fly off of a swing while camping, and broke his arm. Can't wait for this set of bills... and oh, by the way, working today also.
Wow, Ned....just days before The Big Event! Hope that doesn't mess things up too much.
Mark

PS - nothing eventful going on here. LOML is out with some prospective college students giving them a tour (and it's about to rain-yuk); I just got back from an all you can eat ribs special and settling in for the night. Pretty dull compared to 25 or so years ago....

Ned Bulken
07-04-2006, 7:57 PM
I told him he just wanted to be the center of attention this weekend ;)

that parade with the scouts looks like MUCH more fun!

Ben Grunow
07-04-2006, 9:38 PM
Started of with breakfast with 2 yr old son and wife. Then to the basement to sawzall the sewer main (active sewer main) and tie in the new pipes form the addition. Plumbing and electrical work for 6 hours- no lunch. Then to fill propane tanks and get ice, stop at subway for lunch at 3:30 and off to BBQ with family for swimming and high level consumption. We watched the national hot dog eating competition on TV for a little while. Some little guy ate more than 50 hot dogs! I thought I was good when I scoffed down 5 hot dogs and 6 Heinekens. After seeeing that I think I'm going to quit power eating as I'll never achieve true greatness. Back to work tomorrow.

Tyler Howell
07-05-2006, 9:45 AM
Little out of town work /play. Hung out at a nice resort with friends. Good food and beverage.
Played a little music on the 3rd at an outdoor venue then headed home on the 4th.
A little remuttling and catch up today then back to work tomorrow.

Mark Rios
07-05-2006, 1:50 PM
Little out of town work /play. Hung out at a nice resort with friends. Good food and beverage.
Played a little music on the 3rd at an outdoor venue then headed home on the 4th.
A little remuttling and catch up today then back to work tomorrow.

Hey Tyler...I go a question for ya...........

When you play music for the Independance Day Holiday, Do you wear a red, white and blue thong or just the normal pink one while on stage?

:eek: :D :eek: :D