PDA

View Full Version : Q for Machinists re Compound Slide Tables

Doug Shepard
07-04-2006, 7:43 AM
I have a question for the machinists here. What does the 3rd wheel do on compund slide tables? Grizzly (and others) have 2 versions which both only specifiy 2 directions of travel. So what does the 3rd adjustment wheel control? Here's the Griz versions for an example.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5757
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g8750

Dave Richards
07-04-2006, 8:23 AM
I'm not a machinist but I play one on TV. :D

I believe the third is on the same shaft as the one opposite it and they do the same thing. I suppose it makes it easier to choose your working position when you have a long slide like that. Especially if you have to rotate the thing so the crank would be away from you.

Carl Eyman
07-04-2006, 9:35 AM
My guess is that it rotates table in a horizontal plane. For example if you started off with the length of the table lined up in an east - west direction, turning the wheel would rotate it to north south or any other direction. I had a Craftsman that did that some years ago. It was suppose to turn a drill press into a milling machine. Didn't work well.

Gary Keedwell
07-04-2006, 9:45 AM
I think the TV guy is right. If it is like the Bridgeport, the extra handle is for convenience. You turn one and they both turn.

Gary K.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-04-2006, 11:13 AM
I think the TV guy is right. If it is like the Bridgeport, the extra handle is for convenience. You turn one and they both turn.

Gary K.

Yes.

This sentence is pointless minimum character stuff so the system will let the post through

Bruce Page
07-04-2006, 2:17 PM
Yep, the two “X” axis handles are attached to the same lead screw allowing you to work from either end.

But you already knew that…:rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
07-04-2006, 2:34 PM
Muchos gracias y'all
Hadn't though about being able to rotate the thing too.
Hmmm.... That's bound to give me even more ideas and questions.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-04-2006, 3:58 PM
Hadn't though about being able to rotate the thing too.
Hmmm.... That's bound to give me even more ideas and questions.

You can always mount the X-Y table on a rotary table and get that extra axis. With it you can make cams, radii, circles, elipses, helix, sprials, involutes etc., all with or without straight lines.

Doug Shepard
07-04-2006, 7:52 PM
You can always mount the X-Y table on a rotary table and get that extra axis. With it you can make cams, radii, circles, elipses, helix, sprials, involutes etc., all with or without straight lines.

Oh Stop It! You'll just encourage me.:D

I'm starting to think a small milling machine might be a whole lot more useful for woodworking than both the drill press and router table combined. I think I've figured out a simpler/cheaper method of doing what caused me to ask about the x-y tables in the first place, but it sure has got me thinking.

Andy Hoyt
07-04-2006, 8:48 PM
Doug - I've got a Griz G1005Z machine that is used exclusively for running slot mortises in wood. Works like a charm.

And them other fellers are right about the two handles. I use 'em both, depending on what's been mounted for mangling.