PDA

View Full Version : need advice on shaper cutters

Gil Mitchell
07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a delta 3hp shaper with a 1hp feeder and no tooling. I'm leaning toward cutter heads with the insert knives, less money in the long run when purchasing different profiles. any suggestions on brand names, cutter head sizes-diameter and lengths . or any other information that might be helpful to me. getting ready to do 700sq.ft hardwood flooring and new doors and drawers for the cabinets I know its a lot of work but I have a lot of time thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated
why are some cutters called corrigated and some not?

Steven Evans
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I have had good luck here. They have insert tooling with custom grinding if you need it.
http://www.cggschmidt.com/

J.R. Rutter
07-04-2006, 1:43 AM
Insert heads offer better (sharper, more durable) carbide and a constant diameter. Brazed tooling shrinks slightly each time it gets sharpened. You can change profiles to a certain extent on rail/stile heads, but generally a separate shaker set is needed.

Stark, Byrd, LRH, Freeborn, Schmidt, Lietz, Royce, Leuco, and probably many others are all good industrial grade cutter manufacturers.

Corrugated heads usually take steel knives, and take more time to set up. I have a corrugated raised panel cutterhead, and a small head for moulding profiles from Schmidt.

I'm beginning to plan a transition to insert heads for my cope and stick cutters. Not sure who I'll be using yet.

tod evans
07-04-2006, 8:54 AM
another vote for cg schmidt...02 tod

Charlie Plesums
07-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I have been buying dedicated cutters - low cost ones available from www.woodline.com (http://www.woodline.com) rather than getting inserts for my cutter head. The cutters that came in the set with my head are never the right size (for example, the rail and stile set doesn't include a 1/4 inch slot that is "standard" in the USA.) The cost of steel insert cutters is roughly the cost of dedicated carbide cutters. The cost of carbide inserts is "take your breath away."

I like the idea of insert cutters, but haven't made the economics work yet.